Success Using Walking as a Sole Method of Keeping Fit

Options
ercarta
ercarta Posts: 74 Member
edited April 2019 in Success Stories
Anyone using walking alone to stay fit? If so, how much & how frequent?

Do the results reflect in your GP checkups?

Pray tell.

Eric

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Me. Walking is the only activity I like to do every day.

I did some bicycling but I ended up with a sore back so I mostly stopped except for some very short rides.

My goal is 10,000 steps per day. I walk exactly 4mph, 125 steps per minute. So it takes about 80 minutes but I break it up into groups of 2-4000 throughout the day.

I’d rather use a treadmill so I can use some incline but outside is good too.

I’m not sure about specific health measurements but my general health is better today than in the last 30 years. I’m 57.

• ercarta
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    Me. Walking is the only activity I like to do every day.

I did some bicycling but I ended up with a sore back so I mostly stopped except for some very short rides.

My goal is 10,000 steps per day. I walk exactly 4mph, 125 steps per minute. So it takes about 80 minutes but I break it up into groups of 2-4000 throughout the day.

I’d rather use a treadmill so I can use some incline but outside is good too.

I’m not sure about specific health measurements but my general health is better today than in the last 30 years. I’m 57.

@echmain3, that’s great! If I may, do you break up the walks into the same groups each day or do you just try to get all the steps in any way you can?
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the time I have.

But I like to hit the treadmill at least twice per day.

I can always find 16 minutes to get in 2000 steps.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 10k a day. Typically go on 1-2 walks a day ranging from 2-4k steps. With tracking calories I have lost a lot of weight.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do a minimum of 10,000 steps. I do some HIIT hills/trails or hills pushing a baby pram ( my granddaughter loves the out of doors). I have arthritis so I have to walk with correct form or I am in pain. I go at a 3.5 mph pace. I may break the steps up into two separate walks depending on the time element. I do 2 hours water aerobics twice a week in addition.
  • deadpheonixrising
    deadpheonixrising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20kg from walking.
  • ercarta
    Options
    I do a minimum of 10,000 steps. I do some HIIT hills/trails or hills pushing a baby pram ( my granddaughter loves the out of doors). I have arthritis so I have to walk with correct form or I am in pain. I go at a 3.5 mph pace. I may break the steps up into two separate walks depending on the time element. I do 2 hours water aerobics twice a week in addition.

@Cullinanmarti, this is great! I love that you focus on form as well. Have you noticed any notable improvements in your energy, weight, general health, etc since you began the walks with your granddaughter?
  • ercarta
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've lost 20kg from walking.

@deadpheonixrising, those are great results!

If I may, would you mind sharing the details of your walking schedule? ...frequency, distance, span of time it took to lose 20kg (44lbs) from when you began walking, any other relevant information to your success?

I’d love to hear more.
  • deadpheonixrising
    deadpheonixrising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine with me.

I moved for university and my uni is quite far from any shops. The nearest supermarket is a good hour away walking.

To save money and get fitter I started to walk there when I needed to do shopping.

I'd say that I walk there and back at least once a week. This city is pretty hilly so it's downhill all the way there and uphill back with shopping. 😰😭

I lost the weight from September last year to Christmas, put a little back on over Christmas and am losing it again now.

My advice is to wear comfortable supportive shoes and to change the route.you.walk every now and then so that you don't get bored.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My workouts have been mostly walking, usually about 60 or 70 minutes, around my neighborhood, or I walk out to the nearby lighthouse, about 4.25 miles. Otherwise, I use my treadmill. I start at 3mph for about 3 minutes, then 4mph at 6% incline for 4-4.25 miles. This time of year, we are busy with gardening and yard work, so that's my workout. I made a "walk" playlist for my walks too. I'm down over 70 lbs in 14 months. I thought about starting to introduce jogging, but decided not to because I've had such good results, walking is so much easier on the joints. Best exercise ever 😀
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Wasn't able to walk much when I started with 170 kg (375 pounds) on my back 400 days ago. Started with a walk around the block, which took me nearly half an hour (1 km). Over time was able to walk longer distances but still very slowly. By now I have lost 32 kg (70 pounds) and walk 3 to 6 times a week, usually one to 2 hours. Old knee operation does not help but I enjoy greatly walking in nature. Have tried the gym - but do not fit into / onto most machines. However love water aerobics - all the weight gone and good exercise for my knee. One day I would love to ride a bicycle and start ice skating again.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Yes, I started at 273 lbs and I'm down to 203 lbs with walking as my primary exercise. 10k steps per day is my goal.
  • swiftyl
    swiftyl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting MFP, but when I was here before (and again now), I started with walking. I had a wii game called walk it out (step to the beat in the UK) which was really useful to get my daily steps in. I'm using it again now, which means I have no excuse to not walk - even when it's snowing! Outdoor walking is probably better though, due to inclines, longer strides etc, I just personally find it a bit boring. (Probably need pokemon go or something to keep me entertained). Anyway just a thought for those that want to increase steps indoors.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I walk daily and I hope to do this for the rest of my life. The goal is to stay mobile and healthy as I age, and maintain a healthy weight. A walk, particularly in nature, I find great for stress relief, exercise of course, and a social opportunity as well if I meet a friend. I'm blessed to live in a great city for nature, there is a protected marsh area close by that is so vibrant, or I can walk up the large hill (Mountain) behind my house for spectacular views. And my workplace has great trails around that I can walk on for breaks. Its part of my daily life now. I do find I need additional cardio or strength exercise to get over some plateaus in weight loss, but the walking I can maintain.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    swiftyl wrote: »
    . (Probably need pokemon go or something to keep me entertained).
    I do love walking, but also play pokemon go. It keeps me motivated to go a bit further to hatch an egg, or to just get out on days I'd love to stay horizontal but gotta keep the daily streak of pokestops. My kid is more interested in the pokemons. He'll often join me for a walk around the neighborhood, or he's at least supportive of me going out for a walk, if it means I come back with a new pokemon!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!