Is a Fitbit Worth It?

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
Are fitbits worth the money if I don't do much running/walking?

My exercise is non-traditional so it's hard to figure out what I'm burning, or even how long I'm going for, or if it's even raising my heart rate. And I can't carry my phone for most things.

Fitbits are expensive, so I'd hate to waste my money if they're really only useful for runners and gym-goers. I'd like to track my heart rate more but I'm not spending that much if I'm only using a single feature on a multi-feature device.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to monitor your heart rate? What kind of non traditional exercise do you do?
    You could purchase a dedicated HR monitor strap since that's the only metric you're interested in.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    If you have the extra money and enjoy looking at the different stats then yeah, it's worth it even if you don't do "traditional" exercises. I have the fitbit Charge HR 2 (I think?) and I do look at my steps and log when I run or lift weights, but it also tracks my menstrual cycle, utilizes weight trend technology, tracks my sleep, and does a few other things. A lot of those you can track on apps designed just for them (like weight trend, menstrual cycle, calories on here obviously) but it is nice to have it all in one place. If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't put myself out by getting one though. I bought a pack of 12 different colored bands as well since they are easily interchangeable to my mood.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For me it is worth it. I had the Flex 2 which motivated me to move more. The social aspect encouraged me to get a few more steps each day to either catch up with or surpass friends. Or sometimes just to do more than the previous day. I recently upgraded to the Inspire HR and am loving the extra data regarding cardio fitness and sleep cycles.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me? Yes.

It motivates me to GET UP and MOVE! It does track non-traditional exercise. I work at an elementary school and if one of the kids is totally losing it and I have to help out it tracks all that movement as "exercise". FitBit doesn't know what it is, but it knows I was doing something for at least 10 minutes that required movement and raised my heart rate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Depends on your exercise, and your needs. And Fitbit might not be the best choice, vs. one of the other good brands, depending on your needs.

I love my Garmin, even though I do very little step-based exercise, and don't care to increase steps (bad knees). It gives me very useful performance data I want/need for on-water rowing (pace, meters, rough SPM estimates, all correlated with heart rate). It's fun for mileage/speed for bike rides or canoeing or that sort of thing. I think it's close enough on calories for other steady state (or near steady state) exercise to be useful. I do need to use a chest belt for rowing (on-water or machine) to get accurate heart rate, as there's too much arm movement for the wrist-based HRM to keep good contact.

It's laughably bad at sleep tracking (my reading suggests most devices aren't very reliable for this), which I know because it routinely thinks I'm asleep (sometimes even in REM) when I'm awake and reading or playing with my phone. I suspect it counts steps fairly accurately, but haven't cared enough to check at a detail level. (The proportional change from a limted walking day to a longer walking day seems reasonable). It seems to get stair flights wrong, usually low.

It's way off (low) for my all-day calorie burn, compared with nearly 4 years of logging and weight data . . . but MFP's calculator was off by about the same amount. Other people have accurate all-day burn numbers from the same model, so I'm pretty sure the problem is me, not the Garmin.

Some people love their Fitbits, some don't. Most people should find the higher-quality devices reasonable for all-day calorie burn, but a few won't (that's the nature of statistical estimates). I've read that Fitbits break more often than Garmins, but I don't have any experience with Fitbit. (The old Garmin GPS exercise tracker I had - no heart rate - lasted for probably at least a decade, with most of its use outdoors in boats and on bikes; and I only replaced it because my old separate Polar heart rate monitor watch died, and I decided to get an integrated device.)

So: The usefulness is individual, I think.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. But I also love it due to the fact that when wearing it, I'm more motivated to move and walk. The extra features to me make it something I dont want to be without.
  • mattyhalton
    mattyhalton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin but its basiclly the same thing.

I do a bit of running and the HR monitor works really well for that and generally find its pretty good for low impact and repetitive movements, no idea how well it works out kcal info from that though. I also do a bit of rock climbing and struggle to get the HR monitor to record that properly. If you just want your heart rate, there's probably better stuff on the market, so I guess depends what you non-traditional excersize is.

Personally I just like that mine kind of does everything and it's always there and does most stuff in the background without a faff. I bought it mainly for HR monitoring and having a watch, but find the sleep, stress, steps measurements etc quite interesting, even if the sleep function can be abit ludicrous.

Hard to say whether it's worth it. If I wasn't actively trying to improve my running atm, I'd probably say not, but it's pretty relative.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I would lean towards no.

If it is one of the reasons a person would comply to physical activity compared to sedentary, then I rather they utilize a Fitbit.

That being said there was a recent study that showed one of the cons of a Fitbit(or ones simular, I forget if they mentioned Fit bit exactly) is how it actually harms you emotionally and nocebos you to believe you didn't get adequate rest. The fact of the matter they are not qualified in measuring the quality sleep one gets. They are a gadget in that respect.

For this reason I do not recommend for people would utilize the info and be harmed.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would lean towards no.

If it is one of the reasons a person would comply to physical activity compared to sedentary, then I rather they utilize a Fitbit.

That being said there was a recent study that showed one of the cons of a Fitbit(or ones simular, I forget if they mentioned Fit bit exactly) is how it actually harms you emotionally and nocebos you to believe you didn't get adequate rest. The fact of the matter they are not qualified in measuring the quality sleep one gets. They are a gadget in that respect.

For this reason I do not recommend for people would utilize the info and be harmed.

Interesting!
    Do you recall where you saw that study? I would be quite keen to have a read.

I had a fitbit flex a few years ago. It had two settings for sleep - regular told me I basically slept solidly from when my head hit the pillow until the morning, the other (sensitive) told me I was awake half the night, which I thought was a bit unrealistic....but then a year ago, I went to the doctor about some health issues, and ended up on meds with a side effect of drowsiness, and I started sleeping so well! The low amount of sleep on my fitbit was possibly more accurate than I realised.

I just recently got a Charge3, and find the sleep data fairly believable. I don't rely on it for anything, though I do keep an eye on my bedtimes etc, as I now know for sure that my migraines can be triggered/worsened by overtiredness.

I find the fitbit quite useful in tracking steps/calories and motivating me with challenges etc. And I love that it syncs with MFP for calorie adjustments.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch, but even if I didn’t I’d find another device to use. This is what I find:
    1.) motivation: I like to close those rings. Childish, but uber motivating
    2.) no matter how irritating, the reminders are effective. Especially the one that says “a brisk 20 minute walk will close that ring!” That’s sometimes what it takes to get me off my *kitten*.
    3.) mindfulness: in the same way logging to MFP makes me aware of what I eat, my device makes me aware of what I am (or am not) doing.
    4.) calorie counts : I don’t take them as gospel and in fact don’t count them at all because I eat a fixed amount of calories. But knowing that I’m burning them is reassuring, and, for example, if I go over (as on this holiday I’m on!) I know the world won’t end because I have the extra calories as backup.
    5.) other data: my device provides other random data which is interesting. Maybe not useful- unless it records my heart too high or too low- but just plain interesting
    6.) it records my workouts, so I can refer back them. (As long as I’m bright enough to start recording the workout!) Sometimes not in a good way as when I was comparing calories burned during two different hot classes and one instructor overheard and got concerned she wasn’t working us “as hard” as the other and swore to bump it up some, lol.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Charge 2HR user here. I really do like it. I do aim for a fair number of steps (goal of 11k a day) but my main goal is calorie burn, and hitting my 2440 calorie goal on days when I cannot hit my steps to me is encouraging.

Another thing for me is to monitor my heart rate as mine tends to be on the higher side at resting. I can see a direct link between my eating habit deteriorating and that number increasing, so it helps me keep on top of that. The added bonus is that in my case the calorie burn it calculates based on HR is pretty accurate, and having had that linked to my MFP diary has helped me tremendously in my weight loss journey.

Have a look at review sites such as Techradar, and look at newspaper articles comparing activity trackers. It normally gives you an idea of what particular trackers are good and less good for. The Charge 2HR does not have built in GPS. That's fine, I would take my phone when running anyway, so the connected GPS for me is sufficient. However, for a seasoned runner that could be a problem and they'd be more likely to go for a Garmin.

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I thought they would be a waste of money and a fad, until I got one that is.
    I managed to get a half price charge 2 and now I wouldn't be without it, but I love stats and data.
    My main focus is the calories in/out to get a deficit, I'm not sure how accurate exactly it is but (as rianneoneamission mentions) it's calculating calories burnt based on your heart rate and I've noticed that the gym equipment gives a similar estimate of calorie burn to what the fitbit reports so I'm happy with the data I'm getting, I sync it with MFP for calories in so I get the full picture.
    It has other nice features too and as someone else said you can get interchangeable straps in various styles and colours.
    It's very much down to personal choice and opinion but at the end of the day it's also a watch so you can at least get some use out of it to tell the time... :)
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit 2 hr because I'm on medication to slow my heart rate. The one thing I don't like is if you don't wear it tight enough and it shifts on your wrist, it often times will count the movement as steps. I hope mine lasts, I have a variety of bands and unfortunately the Fitbit2 is no longer made. The bands for the Charge 2 do not fit the Charge 3. You can find the Charge 2 on Ebay and Amazon but many of them are refurbished.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would lean towards no.

Interesting!
    Do you recall where you saw that study? I would be quite keen to have a read.

I had a fitbit flex a few years ago. It had two settings for sleep - regular told me I basically slept solidly from when my head hit the pillow until the morning, the other (sensitive) told me I was awake half the night, which I thought was a bit unrealistic....but then a year ago, I went to the doctor about some health issues, and ended up on meds with a side effect of drowsiness, and I started sleeping so well! The low amount of sleep on my fitbit was possibly more accurate than I realised.

I just recently got a Charge3, and find the sleep data fairly believable. I don't rely on it for anything, though I do keep an eye on my bedtimes etc, as I now know for sure that my migraines can be triggered/worsened by overtiredness.

I find the fitbit quite useful in tracking steps/calories and motivating me with challenges etc. And I love that it syncs with MFP for calorie adjustments.

Not off the top of my head, but I believe it stemmed from this study. You can find tons of literature that cites it as well that are very interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24417326/

If your still interested, I'll post it when I come across it in the near future.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swimming, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

The watch's exercise data removes the tedious manual aspect of tracking workouts (it automatically loads into MFP for calorie tracking) and keeps fitness interesting, I love seeing my stats after a workout, and yeah, if I didn't measure it digitally then it never happened...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Gadgets are fun for those who love to track and trend. It makes for a great goal setter. I take stock of my day around 7pm daily and if I haven't hit 12k steps I hit the trail or treadmill and ensure I get my daily minimum.

Certainly not the only factor, but just one of many habits developed that keeps me in a state of personal growth.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I was looking into a smartwatch to maybe just help me out a little, and I'm getting kind of tired of the aggressive reactions of people who seem to find technology offensive and anyone who likes it stupid. I didn't ask for a lecture but boy have I heard a lot of them, here and elsewhere.

Some people are just dicks for the sake of it, @Terytha. Your question is perfectly valid, given that these watches were developed from a step counter starting point.

Before the Fitbit I had a Fitbug, and that was simply a step counter which made little to no difference in my life. The added feature of HR monitoring has helped me develop better habits on more than just one level (see my earlier post on thread). I still have days where I go for a walk to hit my steps, but at the same time I now often opt for a walk just because.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have one and have used it for 2 years now. It's a Charge 2 with a lot of "bells and whistles". I only use it for steps, heart rate and the stairs measurement. All the other stuff I don't touch. I found that some of the extra functionality to be very clunky and user unfriendly. I don't wear it at night while I am sleeping because of the light that sometimes will pop on and wake me up. The food logging I also found to clunky which is why I use MFP. I will definitely get another one in the future because I like the logging, however it will be a stripped down model that measures only what I need.

Bottom line (for me) is that it gets me up & moving. That is worth more than anything.