Clearing out clothes that no longer fit

Options
Hi everyone!

Couldn’t figure out which forum to post this in so sorry if I chose wrong! I am currently in the process of buying new clothes as most of my old ones are hanging off me. But I’m finding it difficult to actually throw out the old clothes even though I know they don’t fit! Has anyone else had similar issues with accepting they need to throw out/donate their old favourite clothes?!

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I’m a man of few clothes but am ready to get rid of my fat man pants. And the belts are going too. Bought a new belt yesterday. Need to buy new clothes but I don’t like shopping.
  • priestesspretzel
    priestesspretzel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes awhile for us to realize that we don't look the way we did just a few short weeks or months ago. Then too, most people are afraid of change, even if it's good. For whatever reason(s), my suggestion is to recruit someone (a trusted friend or supportive family member) to go through the clothing and get rid of anything that meets criteria ("I want you to put anything size x and above into this bag for Goodwill.") I bet once you see all of that empty closet space the fear, disbelief or whatever is stopping you, will go away. Of course, if you feel like you can do it, you can always make the same rule and do it yourself.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a great feeling to know those old big clothes just won't work any more! yay!

Yet.. I did that.. I kept my bigger jeans in goodwill piles in the back of my car forever. However.. bottom line is.. if you don't get rid of those bigger clothes.. you subconsciously know you will have something to. wear if you regain.

Throw them away or donate them sooner than later. When I feel my clothes getting tight.. I tighten up on my eating and exercise.. cause .. I have to fit into what I have.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Yes. I spent years getting rid of clothes. Some were old favorites.

But mostly it was like I wasn’t seeing it. I’d try things on and think, well maybe... Then one day I woke up. I couldn’t believe some things I’d held onto. I put on a sweater and I was swimming it. What had I been thinking.? It was like my eyes had been defective.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you have favourite “investment pieces” of clothing; consider getting them altered. In addition, certain pieces of clothing can be worn “oversized” such as some styles of sweaters.

For the rest; goodwill, value village, and certain stores that provide a coupon if you bring in your old clothing for recycling.

Letting go off the clothing can be “freeing”; similar to “releasing” the weight.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Feel good about not fitting into those old clothes! You worked hard, so get some new ones! Thrifting is fun!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Im actually afraid to get rid of clothes. I have yo yo'd so much, im afraid im going to fall off track gain all my weight back. I have a ton of scrubs that are too big, but scrubs are so expensive that Im trying to make them work a little longer
  • tamirasline7182
    tamirasline7182 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I struggle with this as well!!
    I dont have money for new clothes and all the clothes now a days are baggy and shapeless!! But I love my old clothes and hate getting rid of them!! Lol
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Bagged up my fat boy pants yesterday morning to take to the Goodwill. They’re in the trunk of my car, never made it there yesterday and will try today.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had two items I found hard, two versace dresses I had got 80% off but still costed alot. But they simply didn't suit me anymore even if adjusted. I sold one and donated the other to a charity shop.
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's hard to let go sometimes!! Especially if it was a favorite.
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a process that may also work for you. I have a hard time letting go of things, period! So I take what doesn't fit and box it up. I'll store it in my attic for a year and if I don't touch it, I'll get rid of it. If something doesn't get touched in over a year you have to think "do I really need it?".

And for the comments of yo yoing and the worry of possibly needing them one day, I also tell myself that by that point, they won't even be in style anymore. Just some things to think about!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I donate clothes that are gently worn but keep more expensive items (jeans, coats etc) and put them in a plastic storage bin in the back of my closet. If my weight fluctuates I pull out what I need until I go down again. My weight loss is up and down not straight!
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tend to hold on to clothes far too long. Can not go to the shops so depend on online shopping. Shopping for clothes is not my thing.Somehow all cotton clothes seem to have disappeared. I am trying to declutter my wardrobe since may months.