New vegetarian

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for new friends who are vegetarians or vegans to help me and can support eachother. I've been doing keto since October, but looking at meat started making me sick. It also didn't help that I started watching videos about the meat industry, so I decided to go vegetarian. Been vegetarian for about a month now, and would love to get advice on what I should and shouldn't do for weight lose.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking for new friends who are vegetarians or vegans to help me and can support eachother. I've been doing keto since October, but looking at meat started making me sick. It also didn't help that I started watching videos about the meat industry, so I decided to go vegetarian. Been vegetarian for about a month now, and would love to get advice on what I should and shouldn't do for weight lose.

Are you intending to remain keto whilst vegetarian? That will be a very restrictive diet.

Weight loss is down to creating a calorie deficit. So there is no should and shouldn't for weight loss except maintaining a deficit and eating in a way that is sustainable for you.

However, please do ensure you're getting adequate nutrition (particularly protein, fat, fibre, vitamins & minerals) whichever way you decide to eat, the more restrictive your way of eating is, the more likely you'll be low on something you need.

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Agreed, keto plus vegetarian is extremely restrictive. I've been veg for almost 13 years now. The previous poster is correct - weight loss is all about calorie deficit. I've never had a problem getting all of my micros (protein included) in my typical daily diet. My diary is public if you want to poke around. There's also a good veg group called Happy Herbivores that's worth checking out.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I'm WFPB and mostly avoid dairy, eggs and seafood. No matter what WOE you choose to lose weight you must have a calorie deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,420 Member
    Options
    Neither weight loss nor nutrition are different for vegetarians compared to meat-eaters. (I've been vegetarian for 45 years.) It's just our food choices that differ.

Weight loss is just calorie management, figuring out what to eat within a reasonable calorie goal that keeps you personally energized, satiated, and happy. Nutrition is important for health, but has limited direct impact on weight loss, especially in the short run (could affect satiation, energy level, health, especially in the long run).

There are a few nutrients that can be more challenging for vegetarians than for omnivores, thus require a bit more attention, but the amount of challenge depends on details of one's eating, and it's far from impossible. Get enough protein, and micros like B12, iron, calcium that are less ubiquitous in plant foods, and all will be well. If 100% plant based, you may need to supplement some micros. (Don't supplement iron without blood tests saying you need it. Tell your doctor you're vegetarian when blood tests are being ordered, and ask for relevant nutrient levels to be tested once in a while.)

I agree that vegetarian keto would be really difficult, it that's your aim . . . but people do it, and find it possible. I can't help, because I don't low carb at all (lost weight eating 150g-ish carbs most days).

Food logging can be a help, for those nutrients that appear on food labels and are in the database.
  • Laurnelaine
    Laurnelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I’ve been vegetarian for 20 years and know a thing or two 😂 happy to help with anything.
    I would advise just to keep your calories on point and keep a close eye on the macros. I can find my protein can be lacking so I find it easy to supplement that with a shake.
    Personally I think Keto is a bit too restrictive as I believe for more success and sustainability all food group must be included.
    Feel free to message me if you want any support 💞
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian since age 15. Check out the Happy Herbivores group on here! :)
  • smurfette_maria
    smurfette_maria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, and no I'm not doing keto anymore. I'm just trying to eat healthy. And stay within my calories. I also take multivitamin. I am staying away from bread, pasta, and rice 90% of the time but I do eat them every now and then, plus I eat tortillas when I'm craving a sandwich. I eat potatoes, fruits, and other vegetables with carbs.