Gym

bg789602
bg789602 Posts: 1 Member
I have no gym buddies.. how do you kick your own *kitten* to go alone?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Does your gym offer any classes? I am very much a class based person, which is why I picked up martial arts. Easy for me to stay motivated. And now that I have built a routine through it, it is easy for me to self motivate to the gym when I have to go myself.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    I have no gym buddies either or i have those people who say they are coming and then cancel at the last minute. I would find friends at the gym. I went to the same gym for 20 years and we developed a community so we kept each other accountable!! Now I am in a new gym since that one closed and I don't know a sole. So I keep myself motivated by thinking how badly I want to keep this 45 pounds off!!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I see the gym as therapy and medication. Without it my health could be compromised since I am mostly sedentary at work. That is my motivation to get up at 430-5am and get to the gym.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    It's a mindset thing, at least personally. It's just like getting up in the morning. If I didn't, I'd lose my job (among other things).

If I don't work out, and to echo other posters, I know I'd feel like crap and be in a worse mood for my kids and students and I'd start to deteriorate physically and when I don't look decent I feel even worse about myself.

It's about being adult enough (I don't mean that condescendingly) to recognize that the things that are good for you are tough and you need to do them, anyway. I truly don't mean that to sound patronizing. It took me a long, LONG time to figure this out (and I don't have it figured out every day, just more days than not).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    bg789602 wrote: »

I prefer going alone. It's my "me time." Whenever I go with someone else, it just throws off my workout.

One thing that helped a lot when I first started was having a set workout plan. I wasn't just going in and doing whatever. I had a set workout plan and goal. I'd go in, do my thing, and get out. My thing happened to be Stronglifts 5x5 and it worked great, but there are tons of plans.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    I actually prefer going to the gym alone. It's my ME time - I concentrate on my workout, on my performance, I clear my mind and follow my program while listening to some music or podcast or audiobook.

So I definitely agree that it's mainly a mindset.

And trust me my drive from work to my gym is about 30min (close to my home) and I very often spend those 30 minutes thinking about skipping, switching to rest today&workout tomorrow, etc. So I know what kind of a struggle it could be to make it all the way to the gym.

But I think I'm getting used to it, or I'm catching the gym bug, because the past couple of weeks I've really REALLY couldn't wait to go to the gym. Maybe it's because I started seeing and feeling some positive results. :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member

I like to work by myself and do my own workouts.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

I prefer going alone. It's my "me time." Whenever I go with someone else, it just throws off my workout.

One thing that helped a lot when I first started was having a set workout plan. I wasn't just going in and doing whatever. I had a set workout plan and goal. I'd go in, do my thing, and get out. My thing happened to be Stronglifts 5x5 and it worked great, but there are tons of plans.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

^This. I hired a trainer so that I had a plan written down, and I knew how to do the lifts properly. This also helped me mentally since I wasn't intimidated. I see a lot of women in particular at the gym who wander around and sit down at any empty machine, never changing settings, not really sure what they're doing. Having a plan also allows you to track progress.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Please do not depend on anyone to motivate! You should be able to do this alone.
    Maybe a trainer if need be to get acclomated but a dependency on anyone
    could be an excuse to not work out if they do not show up!
    Please learn to be your own motivator!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    I'm another person who does well in classes. In my case, rather than starting out with gym buddies, the people I work out with regularly in those classes have become my gym buddies. It did take a while, though.

Does the time of day you are working out work well for you? For a lot of my life I tried to make early morning exercise my habit, and I hate getting up early so the accountability of having a buddy was literally the only thing that got me out of bed. If my buddy would bail on me, it was the easiest thing in the world to stay in bed. I started working out after work a few years ago, and it changed everything for me!
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    edited May 2019
    It is hard sometimes to get motivated to go to the gym alone. I used to only go when my hubby would go. If he skipped I skipped. I found an aquazumba class and now I go on my own those two days and the other two days I go, I do weights and some biking. I turn on some good music and change it up. I don't mind going alone now. I would say just make sure you go. That is the most important thing. I have noticed that when I have depended on other people, their excuses become my excuses. I am responsible for me. I would also recommend getting into some classes. Finding some good music or listen to a podcast. Take the time to reflect.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Honestly? I do better being alone, and doing my own thing. My husband goes around the same time I do, and it's comforting to know he is there (I'm weird I know lol), but we do our separate things. If your gym offers classes, maybe try gaining a workout buddy that way? Or simply ask friends/coworkers/whomever if they would like to join you? You might just have to bite the bullet and go alone until you get used to it.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    I used to feel awkward working out alone, mostly because I wasn't sure what to do. I started taking different classes and hired a personal trainer for a short time too. I now feel more comfortable with what and how to do a good workout. I also listen to a book or something motivational while working out. I don't miss having a work out buddy per se because I now know more of the people at the gym who are my gym buddies. We are each there for our own selves but for each other too. The more you go, the less you'll feel alone. All the best to you.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I used to have trouble getting to the gym by myself and now I’m in a routine. I have gotten into a good mindset. I noticed that when I focused on how exercise makes me feel, how it’s good for my mental and physical health, I felt much more motivated to go and the better I felt the more I wanted to make it a habit, something I do for myself that is good for me. If I focused on losing weight it just didn’t work for me.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Over many years, I learned that, if I get home from work and get out of my office clothes, I am NOT going to get into workout clothes and hit the gym...

So, every day, I pack my lunch and I pack it into my gym bag. When I am done with my day the office, I go into the ladies room, and put on my gym clothes. I drive directly to my gym, do my thing, and THEN go home and eat dinner. There is so much less temptation to slack off... the only trick is to pack the gym bag and have it ready.

Another trick, I have a tablet loaded with eBooks... I read trashy novels while I do my cardio... It's the only time I really have to read, so I combine a guilty pleasure with working out. Like the others above have said, it's "me" time.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I’m a one man band and my own gym buddy. “We” get along well and motivate each other, are quiet and focused on chasing our fitness, health and wellness goals. When I need something more, I hang at fitness discussion forums like MFP.

I hope you find your dream gym buddy like I’ve found mine. Wishing you the best.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member

Successful Before and after photo's
    Eye candy
    Wanting my self to be a successful after photo
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Well I don't want a gym buddy, I like working out by myself. Working out with a buddy would just be weird to me. But I have a coworker that just "can't" work out by herself, so she does classes only. Do you have classes that you could go to?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!