Eating White Rice For Weight Loss

Options
124»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    One caution about the rice- any rice- is that it does tend to be rather calorie intensive, so a person trying to lose weight and perhaps with a smaller calorie deficit would want to make sure they are measuring it accurately (dry, by weight), especially if it is something they have frequently.

^^^This...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ggh4kn41i82v.jpg

Ya, I get plenty of fiber so am not worried about the few grams I am missing out on from eating white rice vs brown rice.

@OnFireWithin what are the other nutrients I'm missing out on by eating white v brown?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    dukeingram wrote: »
    Eating whatever you want is not a good idea. All calories are not equal. You can eat a pizza with 1000 calories and feel like crap or eat protein waffles with 1000 calories and feel great. It takes more than just a calorie deficit to lose weight. You have to keep the body healthy to have the energy and mindset to lose weight.

I reduced my pizza calories to 480 and also have a big salad with it. I feel fine.

I've never had protein waffles - recipe? Brand?

While I do like protein powder in smoothies, I have found it challenging to cook with. I didn't care for the protein cheesecake or protein fluff lots of people here raved about. When I add PP to overnight oats I can only add 8 g worth of protein before the taste becomes unpleasant to me. (Again, this is PP I like in smoothies.)

I do add cottage cheese to pancake batter, but it is still not an adequate amount of protein for a meal. Also, I'm just not going to eat pancakes without butter and real maple syrup. This is a very rare meal for me. Oh, and I can only eat it at the end of the day because it makes me sleepy.

The way I eat pizza is a better choice for me.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    dukeingram wrote: »
    Eating whatever you want is not a good idea. All calories are not equal. You can eat a pizza with 1000 calories and feel like crap or eat protein waffles with 1000 calories and feel great. It takes more than just a calorie deficit to lose weight. You have to keep the body healthy to have the energy and mindset to lose weight.

Not true.

Weight loss, weight gain, and weight maintenance is 100% about energy balance. If one wants to lose weight then they must be at the correct calorie deficit needed, to achieve their weight loss goals.

Back during my active weight loss phase I lost around 50lbs and improved all my health markers (including normalizing a prediabetic glucose number). I lost the weight 100% by reducing my calorie intake, while still eating a very SAD diet and doing absolutely no exercise.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    HI,

I was wondering is white rice ok to eat to lose weight ? I am eating 100 grams at lunch and dinner , oatmeal and a banana for breakfast ,

thanks

Is this ALL you are eating? Every day??
    This is not enough food (I'm guessing; I don't really know how much 100 grams of cooked (?) rice actually is), seriously lacking in overall nutrition- you need to eat a balanced diet (protein, vegetables, other fruits, "eat the rainbow", etc.)

Everyone seems really hung up on, well, everything else :neutral: You will likely get sick at some point if you restrict yourself to rice, oatmeal and bananas.