GUYS: Your sweat is NOT God's Nectar......

Options

Replies

• awiggins1090
    Options
    If we're ranting, how about the douche bags who work out while on their cell phone?

Or bring their timmmies with them??? So they can read a magazine and drink their coffee while on the phone.....
    [/quot
    People actually do that? Then why not skip the gym and go to a coffee shop

LOL I was actually talking to a trainer the other day and she said old men typically come in in the morning to have their coffee and hang out. They don't work out, then they go to breakfast.

Lol well I guess if they are old it's okay they probably are tired of sitting at home alone
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Tightening of the diaphragm through grunting helps the body stabilise your core when lifting heavy. It's a necessary evil for many us.

If any of you can show me how to lift 350+ on the bar without grunting and being safe I would be happy to listern.

One of our trainers routinely lifts that much and deadlifts 500+ pounds without making a sound.

That's nice for him. I can't. I'm not saying it can't be done however.

Is he timid? I mean... I know a lot of strong people and 500+ DL done silently? Maybe he's holding his breath! :wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    but, I like their sweat and grunting :embarassed:
    I think he means when at the gym...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Tightening of the diaphragm through grunting helps the body stabilise your core when lifting heavy. It's a necessary evil for many us.

If any of you can show me how to lift 350+ on the bar without grunting and being safe I would be happy to listern.

One of our trainers routinely lifts that much and deadlifts 500+ pounds without making a sound.

Really.. I'm not impressed. I actually know Olypmic medalists that grunt when they lift. Tell them they shouldn't grunt.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    but, I like their sweat and grunting :embarassed:
    I think he means when at the gym...

hmmm, I think you could probably do it at the gym, too.... :tongue:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I am that guy.

Mostly because I am running at sustained speeds of 10mph, while your pansy *kitten* is at 4mph. The gym is a nasty place. Don't like it, buy your own home gym. The gym is for sweating. Get used to it, or don't go.

If you aren't gonna be touching it, don't worry about it. If its on the floor, don't worry about it. Take a shower when you get home.

Its one thing when guys are getting nastiness on the benches and don't wipe it off, its a whole different animal when its on the sides of a treadmill.

Agreed... I sweat something awful when I'm working out (I have a bike at home that I spin on and it's rusting from the sweat!), but I always make sure to wipe down the treadmill, bench whatever when I'm at the gym.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If we're ranting, how about the douche bags who work out while on their cell phone?

Or bring their timmmies with them??? So they can read a magazine and drink their coffee while on the phone.....
    [/quot
    People actually do that? Then why not skip the gym and go to a coffee shop

LOL I was actually talking to a trainer the other day and she said old men typically come in in the morning to have their coffee and hang out. They don't work out, then they go to breakfast.

Lol well I guess if they are old it's okay they probably are tired of sitting at home alone

I've seen me and women in their 20's and 30's do this they head to the "walking" treadmill and set up their magazine and coffee and gently walk on the treadmill while Im sweating and huffing and puffing next to them......then they leave.....it wasnt even a warm-up it was their exercise!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I always wipe my sweat off the benches. Now, my semen? That's another story....

Eeeewwwwwwwwww!! :blushing: :sick:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Really.. I'm not impressed. I actually know Olypmic medalists that grunt when they lift. Tell them they shouldn't grunt.

I don't think the point of the comment was targeting folks who make some noise when lifting. There is however a big difference between the necessary sounds a person may make when they lift either as you mentioned for safety or from maximum exertion. A person can do that without being too tremendously disruptive. It's going way above and beyond that, to the point that it disrupts other people's workouts and breaks their concentration on what they were doing, that I think is inappropriate.

I like to think I can lift pretty heavy, and yes when I'm on a particularly big squat I do from time to time make some noise when I'm trying to finish my last rep or whatever. But in the same way I've got the right to make that noise when I'm lifting, the other folks working out near me have also got the right to be able to do their own workout.

Again I don't think it's that you have to be completely silent, that's simply an unreasonable expectation, but it is reasonable to expect that gym-goers not be disruptive to one another.

Long story short, can't we all just get along?
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to share the experience.

Wipe off your *&$#^@g bench when you are finished.

Rant over.

Thank you.

(Oh...and pick up your weights, you lazy, pampered, yuppie larvae......)

Rant #2 over.

Thank you again.

Us MFP folks know how to get off subject. The OP is not asking you not to sweat or lift heavy weight. He is asking you to do what your momma taught your *kitten* to do as a child. Clean up after yourself. Shhhhhh....
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh, I agree with that. That's freakin' ridiculous. And weight droppers...it doesn't impress anyone.

Hey, I've been known to drop my weight, but only when I've tried to lift and I didn't do something right (I think way too much sometimes and it gets me into trouble) and I have to drop it for safety reasons. (It is kinda fun to watch the O-bar go bouncing, though....)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Amen! Oh you are not kidding...there is a fellow at my gym that literally DRIPS while on the treadmill. There are puddles on the sides of the ramp. Nasty!!!!

I am that guy.

Mostly because I am running at sustained speeds of 10mph, while your pansy *kitten* is at 4mph. The gym is a nasty place. Don't like it, buy your own home gym. The gym is for sweating. Get used to it, or don't go.

If you aren't gonna be touching it, don't worry about it. If its on the floor, don't worry about it. Take a shower when you get home.

Its one thing when guys are getting nastiness on the benches and don't wipe it off, its a whole different animal when its on the sides of a treadmill.

Well said.

My pet peeve is chicks that have tons of perfume on, and even have their makeup on when they're at the gym. This isn't a night club....GTFO. :huh:
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Amen! Oh you are not kidding...there is a fellow at my gym that literally DRIPS while on the treadmill. There are puddles on the sides of the ramp. Nasty!!!!

I am that guy.

Yes, I am also that guy and I agree with that. I clean thoroughly and take my own towels to clean the floor as well, but I am going to go hard and I am going to leave pools of sweat.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is chicks that have tons of perfume on, and even have their makeup on when they're at the gym. This isn't a night club....GTFO. :huh:

I judged someone like that once. She's all done up, matchy-matchy lululemon, hair-sprayed into place with a cute braid and big-*kitten* flower in her hair, make up caked on, fake and baked...
    then I decided to meet her and learn her story. in her early 20's a thyroid cancer survivor. She doesn't give a rats-*kitten* what people think and if they judge her. Life is too short.
    So be it! I was the a-hole in this case.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been known to drop my weight, but only when I've tried to lift and I didn't do something right (I think way too much sometimes and it gets me into trouble) and I have to drop it for safety reasons. (It is kinda fun to watch the O-bar go bouncing, though....)

Gaaaaah! You are evil. Evil I tell you...

Nah, I keed. Please be safe and don't worry about that. I have some guys in my gym who will load plates onto the bar. They do a couple of sets. Then they will slide some of the plates off the bar and let them literally fall to the ground and bounce or roll away. They won't pick them up or move them to a safe position. They won't replace them. Idiots.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to share the experience.

Wipe off your *&$#^@g bench when you are finished.

Rant over.

Thank you.

(Oh...and pick up your weights, you lazy, pampered, yuppie larvae......)

Rant #2 over.

Thank you again.

One of the many reasons I don't workout at a gym.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I can care less about the sweat stuff. That doesn't bother me. What I absolutely hate is when I'm sitting there, breathing heavy from working out hard and some *kitten* is crop dusting the *kitten* out of the gym. Seriously, I hate taking in deep breaths of someone's anal air while I'm trying to get some oxygen.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

I judged someone like that once. She's all done up, matchy-matchy lululemon, hair-sprayed into place with a cute braid and big-*kitten* flower in her hair, make up caked on, fake and baked...
    then I decided to meet her and learn her story. in her early 20's a thyroid cancer survivor. She doesn't give a rats-*kitten* what people think and if they judge her. Life is too short.
    So be it! I was the a-hole in this case.

I can understand a person wearing too much body spray/cologne/perfume...

But why does anyone care if someone is wearing make up? I just don't get it.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    LOL! I agree! I hate having to get on a treadmill and you can see sweat marks EVERYWHERE!!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    When I wear makeup to the gym it's only because I went there straight after work. Definetely not because I wanted to look pretty while jumping all over the place in my bootcamp class :-)