Sore

Options
So after my first 2 days of working out I'm so sore it's hard to move. What do I do next? Keep pushing or let body rest. This is my first time working out in years.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal when you start a new activity. There should be some rest days built into to your program. Rest may just mean walking on the treadmill or some light cardio. Stopping shouldn't be an option unless you are injured.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Rest if you’re sore. If you want to fill your workout time slot, go for a walk.

If you’re training with weights you shouldn’t hit the same muscles 2 days in a row. Rest day builds muscle.

Beware of the rapid ramp up. Every day doesn’t have to be more than yesterday.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Rest a day and do lighter things until the soreness goes away, then blast your muscles again in the gym. It will get better.
  • Laurnelaine
    Laurnelaine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try a protien shake. I get sore easily as I have a joint condition and find I can’t move if don’t have one. BCAA’s are another one to try that help aid muscle recovery.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Active recovery - have a gentle walk, swim or cycle. Low effort, just get the blood circulating and loosen yourself off.
    You should feel better from this than just sitting.
  • Craigohh
    Craigohh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you all snow day today but going to hit it hard tomorrow.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Stretch!!!!!! Google stretches if you need to.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Rest. Don't push yourself too hard in the beginning. The idea is to develop healthy habits.