Sodium

Options
I was wondering how much attention people pay to their sodium intake. I try to be mindful generally both for my health (I have no specific problems and not doctor ordered, just trying to watch it generally) and because I would prefer to avoid retaining water if possible,

The real foods I worry about are things like pickles, or this kimchi I like, both of which have very few calories but huge amounts of sodium. This kimchi I like is 5 calories an ounce, but 200mg of sodium an ounce, and I would love to just eat a 4-5 ounce serving which, calorie-wise would be an easy choice, but to eat 800-1000mg of sodium in one sitting seems ridiculous. Pickles are similar. Or there is an instant miso soup I love which is 35 calories but a whopping 820mg of sodium!

What do others do/think about this?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Kimchi has many benefits for digestive health. If you are concerned about the sodium level you could always make it yourself with less sodium in it. Apparently, it is not that hard to make. Personally, I am not too concerned about sodium levels as there are no health reasons where I need to be mindful. I eat kimchi every day, not because I particularly enjoy it, but because I know it helps keep me more regular. The benefits outweigh the higher sodium content.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do not watch my Sodium intake at all.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it unless you have a medical condition that requires paying attention to your sodium intake. Just be aware that you may see water weight fluctuations based on sodium intake, but they do not affect fat loss.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in how you explain your logic here. How is watching sodium being mindful for your health if your health in unaffected by it?

Stress is not healthful. You are adding a stressor to your life you don't need. It may be a small one but stress is cumulative so it adds to the whole.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever really paid any attention my sodium intake because (AFAIK) I don't have a condition or situation that would require me to monitor it.

So in keeping with my philosophy or only doing what matters and keeping everything as simple as possible it gets ignored.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I pour salt on a lot of my food like it's going out of style. I had a hypertensive girlfriend who was shocked at how much salt I add to stuff. And then I choose salty foods too, like if I have calories left over for a snack, chips and popcorn are high on my list.

My BP is 115/70, and that was at the dentist's, which is not a happy place. Whole family has low BP.

I bike about 100 miles a week, hike on weekends, and lift weights. So I'm sweating a lot, and losing a lot of salt that way.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how much attention people pay to their sodium intake. I try to be mindful generally both for my health (I have no specific problems and not doctor ordered, just trying to watch it generally) and because I would prefer to avoid retaining water if possible,

The real foods I worry about are things like pickles, or this kimchi I like, both of which have very few calories but huge amounts of sodium. This kimchi I like is 5 calories an ounce, but 200mg of sodium an ounce, and I would love to just eat a 4-5 ounce serving which, calorie-wise would be an easy choice, but to eat 800-1000mg of sodium in one sitting seems ridiculous. Pickles are similar. Or there is an instant miso soup I love which is 35 calories but a whopping 820mg of sodium!

What do others do/think about this?

How about using the American Heart Association 2300 mg level as what you will stay at or under most days each week and call it good? If you are preparing your own food mostly, you can manage the sodium levels of what you fix for yourself and still have "room" for miso and kimchi.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have found no statistical increase in mortality with a high sodium diet until you get over about 5000 mg. In fact the people in the study who ate the lowest sodium diets also had the highest mortality, which was not what they were expecting to find. If your bp is good don’t worry about it.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I pay no attention to sodium. I’m almost always under 2500mg a day anyways.