Can I eat more protein to not lose muscle in a deficit?

Options
It seems to be common wisdom on MFP that if you want to keep your muscle while in a calorie deficit, you must lift weights. Why? If muscle is made of protein and I intentionally eat more protein while in a deficit, why would I lose muscle? And if I can stave off muscle loss by eating more protein, how much is enough?

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    1g per 1lb of lean body mass is the usual recommendation.

And you want to maintain your muscle mass for other reasons as well. Bones and joints need strong muscles to keep them healthy. I lift weights because it has eliminated my arthritis pain.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughtful explanations. I don't have a way to have a gym at home or to join one, so I'll have to look into body-weight exercises I can do at home and hope that will be enough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,478 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughtful explanations. I don't have a way to have a gym at home or to join one, so I'll have to look into body-weight exercises I can do at home and hope that will be enough.

The thread below (despite the title) includes some links to beginner bodyweight strength programs that require no or minimal equipment, that you can do at home:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help, personal experiences, and explanations.