Short-term remedy for runner's knee?

Options
I recently started running regularly, pushed myself a little too hard too fast, and developed runner's knee, which started bothering me last Friday. I've been reading about remedies on the internet - I have good motion control shoes for my overpronation (no shin splints anymore, hurray!) and I know I need to work on strengthening my quads. I've been icing my knees every day and using a heating pad on them every night before bed, but so far the pain has only gotten worse. I can't avoid activities like walking the dogs and cleaning the house; as for my cardio workout, I've been using the elliptical because it doesn't bother my knees, but the impact of running (even walking) is too painful for me to stand. I really have two questions:

- What else can I be doing to heal my knees, since they're not improving?

- Is there anything I can do to make running tolerable so I can get back to it, or do I have to wait for a full recovery? I've seen some stuff about knee bands, but there are so many different kinds that it's confusing, and some of them are pricey (and I'm unemployed).

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You need to do strengthening exercises. Google patellofemoral pain syndrome and look up some excercises. What helped me the most though was one my physical therapist gave me. Hold a rolled up towel securely between your knees and extend your leg (one at a time) repeating until you can't do it anymore. That helped so much with the pain. Same with leg lifts and squats with an exercise ball.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Ice only, no heat.
    Stretch you quads & hamstrings daily
    Take some NSAID's (Advil)
    Lay off the eliptical too & let it heal.

I dealt with a short bout of runners knee, and rest, ice & advil worked wonders for me.
    Hope it heals quickly for you.
  • jackieb79
    Options
    bump
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Runner's knee is a broad category of injuries. It would be helpful if you could describe the injury in more detail (when does it hurt, where in the knee does it hurt, how bad does it hurt. Myself, I developed Illiotibial Band Syndrome a number of years back from going too far too soon, and was able to fully recover by resting, and prevent future occurances through stretching and not overtraining.

I also would ask - did you have your shoes fitted at a running store? This can make a huge difference, as everyone has a different running motion and there are shoes made for each. I used to be very prideful and think that I could choose the best shoe for me, but after finally breaking down and getting fitted I have to say it makes a world of difference.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Interesting - you've injured yourself to the point of being in pain when you walk, you're in so much pain that you can't take care of your household, and, despite your efforts, the pain is "not improving".

Perhaps I'm missing something but have you considered seeing a doctor?
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find a band for under 15, just did a quick search and there were several and some as cheap as 12. Find something else you need and get the price to as close as you can get to 25 and get the free shipping. They work but as a tool to assist with recovery not a long term fix. Also they really only work if the mistracking of your knee cap is below the knee not above. Make sure you are stretching your quads, hamstrings, calves and IT bands everyday. If you have not been you can do it 2 or 3 times a day while you start loosening and stretching the muscle. Runners knee is caused because one of those muscle groups is causing your knee cap not to ride correctly in the groove in the top of your knee. It gets a little off track, starts rubbing causing inflammation (thats the pain you feel). I have worked through it myself so i know what you are going through. Stretch stretch stretch, you cant stretch enough but you can stretch to hard so be careful. Over the years i have found its best for me to stretch those particular muscles every time i take a shower, all can be done standing up and when you get a routine down can be done in 3 minutes or less.
  • lulabelle_dyan
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To answer some of the questions: the pain is behind and slightly above my knee caps, and if it makes a difference, it started abruptly after I used the "trailblazer" setting on the treadmill, so I think it may have been the incline that brought it on, because I always ran with no incline before that and never had a problem.

Rybo: seems so simple! I hate to not get any cardio even for one day... you are probably right, but let's see if I can do it.

No, I did not get professionally fitted running shoes. Sounds like a good idea, but I can't afford another pair until I find a job (and I've been trying for 2 1/2 years so I'm not getting my hopes up anymore).

ATT949: I think you misread my post - I AM taking care of the house. I will have health insurance starting Sept. 1st. I have to suck it up until then. It seems a bit soon to run to the doctor anyway; I would give it a few more days even if I had insurance.

Thanks again, all...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are two issues involved with treating this type of injury. Yes, longer-term you need to correct the biomechanical conditions/muscle imbalances/training mistakes that caused the injury.

However, you first need to treat the immediate symptoms and inflammation. Sometimes that can be accomplished with home treatment, but sometimes that is not enough. There are sometimes things that a physical therapist can do to allow you to maintain some type of program. If the inflammation is bad enough or persistent enough, you may not be able to treat it yourself.

Bands or braces, even if they do work, will just mask the problem, not help it. They should only be used in this case under the care of a therapist as part of an overall program.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said, I agree with Rybo. RICE and anti-inflammatories. Wait until you feel 100% before starting in slowly again. It is better to lose a few weeks of cardio now than to lose months of it later! If you need to feed the exercise bug, find some good chair workouts to exercise your upper body and core without stressing the knee. Best of luck and I'll be praying for your swift recovery!

Andre
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

ATT949: I think you misread my post - I AM taking care of the house. I will have health insurance starting Sept. 1st. I have to suck it up until then. It seems a bit soon to run to the doctor anyway; I would give it a few more days even if I had insurance.

Thanks again, all...
    You're right - I did misread your post. It reads "I can't avoid…" and I skipped over the "can't". Thanks for correcting me.

Good luck with your knee.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need new shoes. If you've had your shoes for a long time, and you weren't fitted for them (not everyone needs motion control shoes), chances are you're in the wrong kind and they've broken down to the point of causing pain. Also, the incline could have caused it. I tweaked one of my knees a few weeks ago when I was going up a particularly steep hill.

I totally get the unemployed/lack of funds part, so I would suggest taking a break, RICE (no heat), heal up, get new shoes, and start again. Otherwise, you could make it far worse in the long run. Take a few days off and start back with the elliptical and walking without the crazy incline. If, after a few days' rest, you are still in pain, definitely see the doctor.

Rule of thumb from my former coach: Anything that affects your ability to walk (or lasts for more than a few days) is an injury, not just soreness.

Best of luck!