Quitting Smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• kaglines1
    kaglines1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been cigarette free for 9 yrs 8 month - I smoked for over 20 years and quite the day before my 36th birthday. I used Chantix for the first month, but then it was sheer willpower after that (my insurance didn't pay for Chantix back then). I regret the 20 years I smoked and have not looked back once. Once I got to the one month mark I just kept telling myself I have made it this long, I can keep going. I will say that for the first year I was a complete shut-in, I never went outside to just enjoy being outside. I never smoked in my house, so being outside for me was where I would go and smoke, and it was hard to be outside and not smoke once I quit. It took about a year for me to not equate the outdoors with smoking - but it was an obstacle. You will need to find a new normal, and stick with it. Best of luck to you - you can do this!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes when I was 16, over 52 yrs ago. Only smoked a little b4 that.

However, I've dabbled w/cigar and pipe smoking off and on over the years, many yrs w/o smoking either for yrs in between occurances.

However, I have just taken it up again and may smoke a cigar or a bowl of tobacco once a wk while drinking some expensive cab, port or single malt scotch.

It's a form of relaxation for me and at my age I'm not that concerned about the health risks. Geo Burns,lived to 100 smoking a cigar daily. So, I'll take my chances.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I quit smoking cigarettes when I was 16, over 52 yrs ago. Only smoked a little b4 that.

However, I've dabbled w/cigar and pipe smoking off and on over the years, many yrs w/o smoking either for yrs in between occurances.

However, I have just taken it up again and may smoke a cigar or a bowl of tobacco once a wk while drinking some expensive cab, port or single malt scotch.

It's a form of relaxation for me and at my age I'm not that concerned about the health risks. Geo Burns,lived to 100 smoking a cigar daily. So, I'll take my chances.

If I could smoke casually/socially only, and manage that, then I wouldn’t be so eager to quit. But I’m a pack a day smoker, sometimes more, for a long time.

I’m enjoying my health and fitness too much to have these stupid cigarettes get in the way of progressing.

I just wish I didn’t like em so damn much.

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,148 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had a health scare in Jan of this year....I was hospitalized for 9 days for the flu/pneumonia....came out of the hospital with copd and type 2 diabetes ...I have not had a cig since Jan 2 and I don't want one .....wishing you much success on quitting...the book mentioned by Alan Carr is amazing I highly recommend it. P.S. I smoked since I was 18 I am now 48
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm about 14 months out from a cold turkey quit. Smoked for about 25 years before that. Willpower is all it is. If you don't want to quit, you won't quit. If you really want to quit, you won't need any aids.

The first week sucks, the second week is better. The third and fourth week suck worse than the first. By month 2 you'll start the road to recovery but won't really feel truly normal again until 3-5 months afterwards.

I still have times where I could go for a cigarette but they pass quickly and are pretty easy to manage.

Now that I haven't smoked in a long time, I'm amazed at the difference in my lungs. I'm still consistently amazed at how easy it is to breathe and how much oxygen I can get into my lungs with each breath. I would never go back. On reflection I can't believe how hard it was to breathe when I was a smoker and how wheezy I had become performing even simple tasks like climbing steps or speaking in front of large audiences.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    8 months today, I quit after 30+ years of smoking. Went on vacation and said when I get back, I am done.
    It was not easy. But, It has gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore. I feel soooo much better, the chore of always going outside to smoke, smell and money etc.-> glad its over! Its amazing how breathing and skin, change..
    Wishing you the best, Stay strong its worth it!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey--end of story.
  • _faedreamer
    _faedreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 22 years and quit in 2011 at 36, so not far off from you. I decided it was time to stop when I wanted to start exercising more and realized I couldn't handle it with my breathing, it'd gotten so bad. So I went and bought a ton of the gum and smoked my last cigarette sometime in the first week of April that year.

I ended up not needing the gum after the first week. I returned all but the one box I'd opened to the store and haven't had a cigarette since. It's really about getting through the first week or so of physical cravings, at least it was for me. I didn't use smoking as a crutch for anything else, I just really enjoyed it, so once I got past the physical need for it, it was smooth sailing.

For years I still loved the smell of cigarettes, though, but that finally passed after about year seven. I can't stand the smell now.
  • carlenebyrd
    carlenebyrd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    May 12th will be a year CIG free and it was the best decision I ever made. I vape as well that's what help me quit I went straight to one the lowest level the first day I quit now anything over a 2.4 is to strong for me. I smoked cigs for over 15 years. So glad I quit I sleep better, and breath easier, and smell better.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I smoked since 1994, stopped in 2014, i just got sick and tired of it, i had a pack of marlboro that had 18 sticks and i left it on my bedroom desk, it was just there for months until i just trashed it for good, i had no desire to take another puff.

Dont get me wrong though, i used to try to quit and couldnt as i felt addicted many times before over the 20 years that i smoked, it just so happened that i just got tired of smoking and that was that.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Literally smoked all my life since my parents both were heavy smokers (more than two packs a day, each). "Inherited" the habit and smoked (~ 1 pack per day) until June 2015.
    I knew I couldn't handle finishing off the rituals (first smoke in the morning, smoke after eating, smoke after sex, ...) and the withdrawal symptoms in one go. So I went for nicotine patches for the first three weeks, the dosis was slowly (!) reduced over a period of (in total) 5 weeks.

Haven't touched a cigarette since ... and never missed them
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was never a smoker but I dipped Copenhagen for 20 years. I agree that it's very mental. I used to complain about how hard it was to quit and always claimed I wanted to quit and/or was trying to quit. I can tell you the day that I stopped...

My mother was sick with cancer. I was visiting her in the hospital. It was one of those days when she was sleeping and I was just sitting in the room with her. A thought entered my mind. I thought, "I'm sitting here watching my mother die of cancer. I'm putting something in my mouth every day that may one day kill me. An intelligent person wouldn't do this."

I placed my snuff can in the trash at that moment. I haven't had another dip in now almost 20 years. The first week was terrible - after that it's about the habit. You just have to choose not to smoke (or dip). I won't lie - I still have an occasional craving. I'll catch myself patting my hip pocket to see if there is a can there. I find it funny - now.

You CAN quit. You just have to truly decide that's what you want.
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I just wanted to post an update, I hope that's ok.

My quit date was set for 4/1, I quit on 3/31 and now have a month and a day under my belt! :smiley:

I bought and read the Allen Carr book as suggested and it's fabulous.

Thank you all so much for your stories and encouragement!

Congratulations! The early months are the hardest to seems. I quit after 20 years cold turkey. Ex smokers be vigilant though, I had a death in the family and told myself I could have one cigarette 11 years later. Yeeaah it took me a year to quit with vaping and weaning off of it. Never another puff!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I quit after using tobacco products from age 13 to around 38ish.

I just never wanted to fully quit.

One day my daughter told me she didn't like it. I made a deal with her I would never touch a cigar or cigarette again if she promised to never try any tobacco products ever. She promised and I quit. It was pretty easy with her support and promise.