The six day calorie deficit aka banking calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    To all who followed my post, whatever works for you is great, I was merely presenting another option. There aren’t that many extra daily steps required in burning an extra 42 calories a day following the OP’s math lesson.

I wantedy to burn an extra 100 calories this evening to close out my day at a mathematical maintenance point. I was surprised that it didn’t take much movement and activity to crank out another 100 calories.

But, I realize some might be exhausted from a hard day’s work. I sit for a living and know not of that toil.

The OP offered a very helpful tip which you continue to demean as a "math lesson."
    We all know that walking burns calories. Good job.
    What not everyone realizes is that it's our overall intake/output over time that matters and not strict adherence within each 24 hour period. Thus, I expect the OP to be enlightening to many.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    OP I agree this is a much more helpful way at looking at approaching variation in days and social events than trying to adhere to exactly the right amount of calories every single day.

I haven't done the actual maths but I always look at my calories as weekly allowances rather than daily ones and this helps with real life adherence.

Of course one still has to be mindful even on the higher days and not go stupid overboard but does mean one can enjoy treats, social occasions etc like a 'normal person'

Rather than the scenarios like somebody gave in another thread of sneaking their own food in to a social event and eating it in secret in the bathroom rather than eating the food provided.

It is ok to have treats. It is ok to go over your calories ( and to eat at less than perfect nutrition ) on some days.

Just keep the weekly calories at around the right level - and MFP very handily provides a weekly graph for you to manage that.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Eating at a slight deficit through the week, to enable higher calories on the weekend for more indulgences works well for some.
    Eating at a deficit during the week and at maintenance during the weekend, taking slightly longer to reach your goal weight, works well for some.
    Exercising a little bit more, to burn some extra calories, to enable you to eat more on any particular day, works well for some.
    You just have to find what best suits you and your lifestyle. I personally eat a little more over the weekend, but because I have more time up my sleeve, also exercise more on the weekend to counterbalance those extra calories. This works for me at this point in my life, but there is no way it would work for everyone. It may not work for me either in a year from now.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    To all who followed my post, whatever works for you is great, I was merely presenting another option. There aren’t that many extra daily steps required in burning an extra 42 calories a day following the OP’s math lesson.

I wantedy to burn an extra 100 calories this evening to close out my day at a mathematical maintenance point. I was surprised that it didn’t take much movement and activity to crank out another 100 calories.

But, I realize some might be exhausted from a hard day’s work. I sit for a living and know not of that toil.

Another point to mention that I haven't seen brought up is that exercise bulimia is a thing. And a dangerous thing.

Getting into a mindset where if someone is slightly over their caloric allotment, or feel that their deficit for the day wasn't large enough, can lead them into thinking "I've gotta do an hour on the treadmill before I can go to bed!" And that's a very slippery slope. One that can all too easily lead someone into an unhealthy relationship with food *and* exercise.

OP, thank you for this thread. It's insightful and on point.

When I was studying psychology (which was admittedly longer ago than I like to think...) over-exercising was covered as a form of anorexia.