Help! I’ve been sick and my half marathon is in 2 days!

Options
My training was on track until 4/21, when I ran 11 miles (that’s 11 days ago). I got sick and needed to take an entire week to rest, but even that wasn’t enough to get over my cold. I went on two 5-mile runs after that (4/28 and 4/30) with a head cold. They went okay.

Should I go on one more run today (two days before the race)? I know it’s not a good idea to try to make up for missed training, but I often do a long run after only one rest day. If I go 3 miles today will that be helpful or not? I think I’m about done with my cold.

Replies

• spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you’re training has been on track up until you got sick, then if I were you I would trust that you have trained to have enough mileage in your legs and just rest up now until the half in two days. If you’ve done 11 miles a week ago then sounds like you have everything on track. If you just do something then do some yoga or a very gentle slow run but honestly I think you will be fine and smash it! Good luck 👍
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you’re training has been on track up until you got sick, then if I were you I would trust that you have trained to have enough mileage in your legs and just rest up now until the half in two days. If you’ve done 11 miles a week ago then sounds like you have everything on track. If you just do something then do some yoga or a very gentle slow run but honestly I think you will be fine and smash it! Good luck 👍

It will have been 13 days (not just a week) since my 11 miler when I run the half...
    but I take your point. Thanks!
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Almost the exact same thing happened to me just before my first half marathon last month. I came down with the cold from hell three weeks before and just couldn't run for nearly two weeks. I managed 11 miles the weekend before and learnt what muscles you pull when you cough while running! Not nice.

If you've been on point with your training up until this point, I wouldn't worry too much. Go for a short run if you want to but it won't make a difference if you don't.

I still completed my half and although the last 3 miles were walk/run I did a decent time. I was aiming for under 2 hours and did it in 2:02:06 so I'm happy with that given what happened. I think you'll be fine, you've done more miles than I did after my illness.

Good luck!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    11 miles 2 weeks before is absolutely fine, you should have been tapering anyway now. Maybe go out for a slow 3miles but I wouldn't go any further than that.
    Slightly different but the furthest I went in the 2 weeks before each of my marathons last month was 4.5miles (and that was only because my route was blocked and I had to divert otherwise it would have been 3.5) and I was fine.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    3 miles today will not give you increased fitness for your race. You already built your endurance during your training. However, I ordinarily do a 5k slow run the day before a race. Take it slow and see how you feel. Don’t push it. The point of that run isn’t speed or distance, but just to stay active during the taper. If you don’t feel well, your body is probably best served by another rest day instead of a run.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Have you stopped coughing? If not, rest. If you have, then a shakedown run of 2-3 miles will be good to loosen up your legs. At the least, go for a brisk walk. That will loosen up muscles as well.