Pre-workout or coffee?

Options
I drink preworkout now, but am considering switching to just coffee.

What are your opinions on preworkout or coffee?
How much coffee do you drink before a workout?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a healthier option (no artificial ingredients, benefit of antioxidants). For me it would be 1 cup.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pills. Pre workout is just a bunch of crap with 200 mg of caffeine that they charge you $$$$$$ for. Go to store, get caffeine pills, take 200 and you will get the same results.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Banana and a 0.5L of coffee. Usually an Italian Roast with a splash of heavy cream.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Personal taste and preference. I've tried some of the C4 and similar preworkout products and love the sugar/caffeine rush, but cannot justify the cost. I follow my taste preference and go with coffee with a shot of cream.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't drink either before my morning workouts. But I do reward myself with coffee afterwards!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have coffee. An espresso and candy does the trick for me. Some people like that extra push pre-workout brings.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Coffe for me, strong and black! I never found a pre-workout that didnt make my teeth itch!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am a coffee drinker. I have used preworkout in the past and don’t see a problem with it (I am sensitive to some brands though). For me coffee is cheaper and I get the same effect.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Teeth can itch? nice.
  • Travy513
    Travy513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Coffee has less caffeine. So if you want a better boost pre work out
  • shadow2soul
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Teeth can itch? nice.

Huh?
    If your talking about by comment on being sensitive to preworkouts, some make my skin red and feel like it’s on fire about 20-30 mins after I drink them.

Edit: oh...nvm. Just saw the comment about teeth itching. Interesting...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'd rather get it done on my own.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Teeth can itch? nice.

Huh?
    If your talking about by comment on being sensitive to preworkouts, some make my skin red and feel like it’s on fire about 20-30 mins after I drink them.

Edit: oh...nvm. Just saw the comment about teeth itching. Interesting...

Most pre-workouts contain niacin and which can have several side - effects including racing heart, flushing, feelings of anxiety, etc.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Travy513 wrote: »
    Coffee has less caffeine. So if you want a better boost pre work out

Depends on the coffee. Death wish brand for example is insanely high in caffeine (apparently it has roughly 728 mg in 12oz).
  • deniseblessedsmith
    deniseblessedsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to love pre workout but overtime it doesn't work like it does in the beginning so I stopped shelling out the money and just go with my coffee before my work out 1cup . . I am good and it is a lot cheaper
  • sig651
    sig651 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Coffee is definitely a "healthier" option. But I need a little more after working all day. I also like the flavor of the ones I stick with. More than that though, I get a pre-workout with creatine, so I can get that in as well without taking it separately. That's just what works for me. Be careful with pre-workouts though, start of with smaller than recommended servings initially. You don't want the nausea or jitters that sometimes occur. Later, like anything you can build a tolerance, so consider changing brands on down the road (though I admit to an overboard loyalty once I find a good one). Best of luck!
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day so I don’t really have a pre-workout.

But I’d say coffee over anything else, maybe a banana if I’ve not eaten in ages.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Most pre-workouts contain niacin and which can have several side - effects including racing heart, flushing, feelings of anxiety, etc.

Kinda like caffeine?

Use whatever you like the best. I'm weird and don't like coffee after noon, but will drink the hell out of it in the morning. I just use some caffeinated water enhancer powder before I head out.

To each their own.
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well I drink 2 coffees at work and after work I go straight to the gym. I don't know if that counts.

But I want to quit coffee anyways, so ..
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just have a large coffee. I'm breastfeeding, so I don't want to try heavy things. Coffee is and has been well tolerated through my whole breastfeeding relationship (child is nearly 2).

I have a 16 oz cup with about 14oz of coffee, 1 sugar cube, and a splash of half and half.