ED and Finding BALANCE

Options
I have an ongoing battle with an eating disorder. I seek out therapy but I think I need more intensive care but so far I CANT afford it. I am open to reading anything that might help me.

I have struggled with mine since college. Now I am overweight with a BMI of obese....But I really came on here for the community and the supportive atmosphere.

I believe I can be balanced and healthy but for some reason my brain doesn’t think so and my body craves sugar and fattening foods.

I am trying to be vegan alkaline and I think it is healthiest for me but struggling. Is there anyone that can relate? Can we talk more? I’d like to feel supported and understood.

I tend to binge and fast right now.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but the less sugar in the form of baked goods or ice cream I eat the less I want. I found increasing fruit, protein, and exercise to be very helpful.

What's your protein % goal and with what frequency do you meet or exceed it? I knew quite a few healthy and fit vegans during my three years in yoga communities and they all made legumes the backbone of their diet.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Do you binge and restrict? I am glad you are getting professional help.
    I struggled with binging and bulimia.
    What helped me was not trying to lose weight but focusing on getting the right amount of foods in. I figured out what was maintenance for me and just try to eat that level. Ive slowly changed what I eat. I never ate veggies before and now I eat them daily. Eating enough protein and fat. I stopped buying trigger foods for me. If I bought a box of cookies or any dessert it would send me into a binge. Ive learned what my triggers are. High stress will lead to binge also.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard about "vegan alkaline" and found this, which isn't quite on point with the vegan part, but...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-alkaline-diet-myth#bottom-line

...The Bottom Line

The alkaline diet is quite healthy, encouraging high consumption of fruits, vegetables and healthy plant foods while restricting processed junk foods.

However, the notion that the diet boosts health because of its alkalizing effects is suspect. These claims haven’t been proven by any reliable human studies.

Some studies do suggest positive effects in a very small subset of the population — an alkalizing diet, low in protein, may benefit people with chronic kidney disease (31).

In general, the alkaline diet is healthy because it is based on whole and unprocessed foods. Its benefits have nothing to do with pH levels.

However, my mother has silent reflux and is indeed helped by drinking alkaline water and limiting or reducing certain foods. She used to sound like she was a cat trying to cough up hairballs and no longer does.

https://www.pharmacist.com/article/mediterranean-diet-alkaline-water-may-be-effective-ppis-laryngopharyngeal-reflux

Mediterranean diet, alkaline water may be as effective as PPIs for laryngopharyngeal reflux
    Seeing little relief with PPIs for patients, study author looked to dietary treatment for LPR

Treatment of laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) with alkaline water and the Mediterranean diet may be as effective as treatment with proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs), according to research published online in JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery in September. Like gastroesophageal reflux disease, a similar condition, LPR occurs when acidic gastric juices in the stomach back up into the esophagus, but in LPR, the gastric juices reach the throat, resulting in symptoms such as hoarseness, sore throat, cough, and excessive mucous.

@MissFoxyOne is there a specific medical condition you are trying to address with alkaline? By being vegan you are already mostly there, and I don't see the point in reducing or eliminating grains without medical necessity.
  • MissFoxyOne
    MissFoxyOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I dont know my protein percentage. Ill have to study this further.

So far alkaline vegan seems good for me and I have been able to maintain better control.
  • MissFoxyOne
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Do you binge and restrict? I am glad you are getting professional help.
    I struggled with binging and bulimia.
    What helped me was not trying to lose weight but focusing on getting the right amount of foods in. I figured out what was maintenance for me and just try to eat that level. Ive slowly changed what I eat. I never ate veggies before and now I eat them daily. Eating enough protein and fat. I stopped buying trigger foods for me. If I bought a box of cookies or any dessert it would send me into a binge. Ive learned what my triggers are. High stress will lead to binge also.

Yes I’m not buying anymore junk. I like this idea.
  • MissFoxyOne
    Options
    I’m sorry you are struggling. Do you think the added pressure of going vegan is making it harder? Is it making things feel even more restrictive than they need to be?

No its having the opposite effect because I am eating as much veggies and other things that are allowed as I want...Im not tracking my calories though I think I need to do that so Im keeping track on here starting today.
  • MissFoxyOne
    Options
    I want to second any notion previously expressed about the importance of seeing a professional regarding your eating disorder. Sort this out first...

And then...

As you’ve stated you’re suffering from an Obese BMI at present, my instinct as a trainer and fitness professional of 15 years is to suggest simplicity.... and Vegan isn’t it. Nor is alkaline. Vegan Alkaline is a difficult lifestyle to properly and healthily execute, and I suspect this could only add to the pressures of on again/off again dieting and your self admitted binge and fasting. Being that the food selection is not only difficult with these vegan alkaline protocols (they’re downright prohibitive from both cost and practicality standpoints) my initial suggestion would be to pursue weight loss on a more basic diet. Veganism itself is difficult to do correctly and obtain all the key nutrients (though it CAN be done I estimate very few DO) .

Before I proceed I’d like to inquire how you arrived at the decision that Vegan Alkaline was the best method for you. If it’s more or less something you’ve pulled from thin air (as it’s admittedly a trendy topic atm) I would again suggest something more easily obtainable and wholesome.

If you’re doing vegan for personal ethical reasons, I suppose I understand, but from a health standpoint alone I hold true to the sometimes unpopular insistence that most people do poorly with regard to getting proper Macronutrient ratios and often lack other key nutrients when attempting these methodologies.

So if it’s based on some ethical objection to meat, I suppose you could go this path, but generally it’s goig to be very difficult - and this is ON TOP of the pre existing challenges of your ED already at hand.

A great many of my general weight loss clients do fantastically on a basic 3-day per week 16/8, balanced omnivore intermittent fasting protocol. Usually, i have them eat clean for 6/7 days, and do the IF protocols for 3/7 days. Almost always the results have been outstanding, considering their macros, calories and exercise are all in check.

I hope this doesn’t discourage you from making any positive changes, I just thought that I would offer my opinion on Vegan Alkaline, with regard for your specified needs and concerns. Either way; I wish you Godspeed and feel free to reach out to me for anything at all.

Best,

MT

Insightful!

I have gratitude in my heart for all these responses and insightful meaningful messages. My struggle with the mental aspect of the ED has been exasperated and I believe I need the proper therapeutic approach which I have not had in the past. However I found a good therapist and will be seeing them soon.

I think you are right that the vegan alkaline lifestyle is highly regimented and not easy. I feel that since I am a perfectionist I seek out the most grueling methods for myself but I don’t have much experience with it and I would like to experiment with this way of life for a week or two to see what it feels like and does. I may need more consultation to make a better decision.

I would like to reach out to you about some of this. Thank you!
  • MissFoxyOne
    Options
    I will plus whatever the professional help, and would further suggest making a priority of it in your budget over other things if possible.

Secondly, if you've had even a passing association with treatment, you'll know that many disordered eaters choose restrictive ways of eating such as vegetarianism and veganism as a way to exercise that itch for control that is at the heart of it for many. There's nothing inherently bad about you eating vegan except for the fact that you're permitting yourself to restrict while pretending that it's not to do with your disorder.

Thirdly, alkaline eating is nonsense.

I didnt know alkaline eating is nonsense but I’d like to know why.

And yes I need to control myself so that makes sense....I can get through this mental aspect in therapy.
  • roobella
    roobella Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry you are struggling. Do you think the added pressure of going vegan is making it harder? Is it making things feel even more restrictive than they need to be?

I was just about to say the same thing. Every year since I started I do veganuary... I cant maintain it long term as I end up feeling horrendous even when its tracked to be as balanced as possible
    But the mind seeing the restrictions every day is difficult to adjust to

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I think you are right that the vegan alkaline lifestyle is highly regimented and not easy. I feel that since I am a perfectionist I seek out the most grueling methods for myself but I don’t have much experience with it and I would like to experiment with this way of life for a week or two to see what it feels like and does. I may need more consultation to make a better decision.

The problem is that for you this experiment may be self-destructive because you can't trust your instincts to be right. This is why you need professional assistance to navigate these decisions.