Just started Stronglifts - can't OHP with bar

Options
So I managed 3x5 without dropping the bar on myself and stopped there so that I wouldn't. Bruises are rarely flattering, yanno. Would it be better to keep trying with the bar (45 lb) or to drop down to dumbbells at a weight I can do 5x5 and build from there?

All the other starting weights were okay. I'm just wondering which would be the more effective way to progress.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Either dumbbells or a lower weight barbell. Also better mentally because you'll be able to progress by starting at a lower weight, rather than struggling for weeks and getting discouraged. You'll potentially get enough of that once you're back on the 45 and trying to increase weight, unless you have fractional plates available.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I’ve done Stronglifts in the past and made nice progress with the OHP getting as high as 175 lbs. for a single rep.

If you can get a lighter bar that would be great. I suggest barbells over dumbbells for this type of workout.

Build up to 5x5 as a goal getting there by doing a bunch of perfect form singles, doubles or triples rep sets to the best of your ability. I made great progress doing progressive singles when doing the OHP.

Most importantly, obey your body and be safe.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used dumbbells
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Are you working in a gym? They might have a lighter bar.. Otherwise use DB. It's fine. You don't want an injury, never mind the bruises!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    It's the school's weight room. I looked before starting today, because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it at all. It's the 45 or the dumbbells. I'll give those a try next week. Thanks everyone!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    OHP is probably the most challenging lift for a lot of people when first starting on a strength program. Adjust your weights to suit your ability and progress at a rate that works for you.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a lighter bar?
    I started OHP using a 10kg bar 1inch (my gym also has a 7.5kg), then progressed to a 15kg Olympic bar and then the 21kg Olympic bar.
    I also use dumbbells, but as an accessory lift rather than the main lift (helps me with the fact one of my arms/ shoulders is significantly stronger than the other)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    OHP is the debil. >:)

Definitely use dumbbells until you can do 45 lbs.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    And 100% do not feel ‘weak’ some people are just stronger at different movements than others. You’ll be waving that bar around like a feather in no time I’m sure!
  • pierinifitness
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The thing about the OHP is how you need great shoulder flexibility, something most people need to work especially if they've done lots of bench press work. With greater shoulder flexibility, the OHP's path can be true north rather than upward and outward due to limited shoulder flexibility. When true north, 100 lbs. is 100 lbs. while when outward and upward, that 100 lbs. is 100 lbs. plus. This is something I learned in my OHP journey that got me to hoisting a decent load overhead.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The standard 45# bar is too heavy for many women starting a lifting program so don't feel bad. Lighter bar or dumbbells is definitely a good way to go.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Is OHP an overhead press? Like a push press or a strict press? Sounds like the issue is resolved, but I was curious. Sometimes I read these threads to comment, sometimes I read them to learn :)
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Yes OHP is overhead press. I understand it to be a strict overhead press (no knee bend and then thrust to assist with overhead momentum) as opposed to a push press or a push jerk.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I'd like to also suggest looking up landmine presses in addition to the dumbbells. They're a solid, viable alternative that allows you to press without as much needing to fear dropping the bar.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If no options are available, I'd use the DB over doing less reps with the empty 45# bar.

When I was starting, I'd use the preloaded straight curl bars. Maybe your gym has those?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    Is OHP an overhead press? Like a push press or a strict press? Sounds like the issue is resolved, but I was curious. Sometimes I read these threads to comment, sometimes I read them to learn :)

An OHP is a strict overhead press...no push press or jerk...just a strict standing OHP.
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have an EZ bar, for curls? They weigh around 20-22 lbs, I started my son on OHP with an EZ bar.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ^

Most school gyms do have curl bars, maybe yours does as well. Generally 25lbs, but can vary.

Note if you do use dumbbells that it is a slighty more difficult exercise because of effort it will take you to stabilize your shoulders individually. Also, you may want to watch a few videos on OHP shoulder impingement and certain stretches/exercise you can do to help that.

Mobility and stability will help you get stronger faster.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    In my opinion, this is the best drill you can do to improve shoulder flexibility for overhead lifts. It's how all Olympic weightlifters prepare their shoulders. I learned of it and did it faithfully when I was learning the Olympic lifts. To this day, this is the first flexibility exercise I do to prepare for my workouts, regardless if whether I'm doing overhead press work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depending on equipment available at a gym, I've had people start with fixed weight barbell, warm up broomstick with weights loaded carefully, or a variation of the rep scheme with added rep/sets during progress.

One variation rep scheme example with a 20kg/45lb barbell.

45×3 for 4 sets (one & half in tank)
    45×3 for 5 sets (two in tank)
    45×3 for 5 sets (three in tank)
    45×4 for 4 sets (one & half in tank)
    45×4 for 4 sets (two in tank)
    45×4 for 5 sets (two in tank)
    45×4 for 5 sets (three in tank)
    45×5 for 4 sets (two in tank)
    45×5 for 5 sets (one & half in tank)
    45×5 for 5 sets (two in tank)
    45×4 for 6 sets