Options
Jayz395
Jayz395 Posts: 90 Member
Has anyone tryed that couch to 5k app? If so was it any good

Replies

• thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use a version of it (zombies run couch to 5k) which I’ve found pretty effective. Don’t be discouraged if you can’t do the program at full tilt, though. I had to repeat several weeks before I was ready to move on, so it probably took me twice as long. But still got there.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just started it. I'm on week two day one today. So far I love it. I love that I can go at my own pace. I havent had to repeat a day yet, but if I do need to, it's an option. I also feel it really motivates me and helps me run right now.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started my running journey using c25k, well actually I started by using c25k to increase my walking pace and then used it to start running. I'm now officially a multiple marathon runner (3 altogether and 2 in the last 2 weeks), so I would definitely recommend it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I also started with C25k, 8 years ago. I just used the printed version from Cool Running. It's a good program that has gotten a lot of people started. Emma has it right - start with walking. Don't worry if you can't do every session the first time. People repeat days or weeks if they are having problems. And definitely run slower than you think you should. Slow and easy will get you where you want to go.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K program ~10 years ago by using my watch to time the run/walk periods. It was doable, but a little bit annoying checking the elapsed time to see how much longer I had to go.

Three children later, I’m now re-starting the C25K program using the free version of the app. It’s really easy to follow the voice’s instructions and you can easily repeat days if needed. I find it much easier to turn on the app and go than what I did before. The program is the same, and I can already tell my endurance is building. I recommend the app over trying to time it yourself.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I highly recommend it. Weeks 4 and 5 were the hardest for me, I had to repeat them several times. I was pretty hard on myself about that until I found out how common it was. In about 4 months I was running 5 miles in under an hour.

Definitely go at your own pace, but you should see some progression in terms of time as you go. That's the point IMO, to go further in a shorter amount of time as the weeks move along.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started running with the C25K app. I really liked it, two years later and I’m still running. I did find it a little deceptive, at least with the app I was using. You don’t end up running a full 5k at the end. It’s just a timed 30 minute run. I still can’t run a 5k in 30 minutes (I’m getting close). So unless your beginner pace is fast, don’t expect to be running 3 miles in 30 minutes 8 weeks from now. So set some realistic expectations. Are you in decent shape already, and just looking to change things up? Or are you legitimately going from the couch to the track? The best thing I did for myself was concentrate on going slow and building up the endurance. After I finished the program, I began adding 5 minutes each week to my runs until I was going all 3 miles. It took me close to an hour in the beginning.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I did C25K in the summers of 2017 and 2018 (10 pounds lighter). I finished it both times, but still hate running. It works in that even if you aren't a "natural runner" it can get you to running 30 minutes (or whatever the last workout was) straight. For me that still didn't equal a 5k because I'm slow, and I didn't see any improvement in my time over the course of the program.
    It was a good calorie burn and helped me realize I will likely not run a marathon. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I used it a few years ago at age 60 to run for the first time in my life! It is a great program, well paced, and gets you to your goal. Follow the program as laid out and repeat any weeks you feel you need to. There is often a running thread here on MFP of people currently doing the program. It is very popular.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did c25k 3 years ago after my eldest was born - I used the podcasts then and liked it. I was relatively fit when I started and went straight to week 3 and I skipped a few of them cos I’m so impatient. Before the end I was doing 25 min 5ks. About 3 months later I screwed my knees up and couldn’t run again. I’m trying again now, 5 months after having my second child. I’m using the app this time and really like it. For me it makes it more fun than the podcasts. I started at week 3 again but I definitely won’t be skipping any sessions and I’m trying to run slower this time. I’m on week 4 now and my knees are ok so far...

My tip: Go as slow as you can bear and don’t skip lessons!
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I found that I could not keep up with the C25K app when I first started it. I had to do week one longer, like, I couldn't jump right into week two. I eventually just deleted that app and used a map my run thing and walked til I felt like running then ran until I felt like walking. It worked great.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use a version of it (zombies run couch to 5k) which I’ve found pretty effective. Don’t be discouraged if you can’t do the program at full tilt, though. I had to repeat several weeks before I was ready to move on, so it probably took me twice as long. But still got there.

Yes, Zombies! Run is a fantastic starting-running app. Really fun!
  • mbouchard1234
    mbouchard1234 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love it. I got started on it a few years back and credit that to my motivation to stay on track and consistent with my workouts. I graduated to the 10k app after. As someone who was almost 200 pounds overweight it was an encouraging way to see progress not only on the scale but in in my endurance and the way I could move in general. I took a break from running and am now in week 7 of the C25K and even though it’s hard again and I used to be so much better (it’s unfair how quickly you lose it!) I am still amazed when I complete a session that I actually did it, when looking back on week 2 or 3 and found the 5 or 8 minute intervals exhausting. It’s a great app, user friendly, and awesome that you can do it at your own pace. Good luck, hope you give it a try!
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yup! I loved it. I started with that app and now I'm running 3-5 miles at a time. I'm getting my husband into running to prep him for the police academy, and that's what we've been using to ease his body into it.
  • Jayz395
    Options
    Ideal thanks guys :smile:
  • Jayz395
    Options

Just looked at this zombie run looks quite good
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Jayz395 wrote: »

Just looked at this zombie run looks quite good

There are 2 apps. The main app Zombies, Run! and the Zombies, Run 5k app. I've run the 5k app twice and find it better for me than a regular c25k (which I could never finish). The main ZR app is incredible and I rarely run without it.