Alcohol and Body Composition

Options
dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
I have a question about how to mitigate the effects of alcohol on body composition. I have a good grasp of weight maintenance (been doing it for almost 6 years now). However, I have never been the type to go a drink alcohol on multiple nights a week. However, upon entering the dating scene and being a commodity, apparently (thank you, weight loss). I have noticed that first dates always seem to focus upon grabbing a drink. I love to go to bars and grab a drink; however, I cannot shake the apparent negative effects it has on muscle maintenance.

I am heavily into recomposition and weight lifting, so I like to keep and even expand upon my current muscle mass. Thus, I try to limit my alcohol intake to maybe one night out a week normally. However, recently with dating, I have noticed that this can go up to about two or three nights a week of grabbing a drink. I try to keep the alcohol intake sensible (maybe two drinks maximum if I go on multiple nights) and never drink a lot on these nights. BUT I still cannot shake that maybe even sensible drinking could ruin my weight lifting goals.

I know that calories in and calories out balances the weight gain and loss; however, how should I make sure that the alcohol does not remove the muscle I currently have in favor of fat deposition?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of alcohol consumption affecting muscle mass. Where'd you hear that from?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is going to be different and will respond a bit differently to alcohol especially when it comes to workout performance. Do you feel like your workouts suffer even when consuming it in small amounts?

I think that one drink on a date and being sensible about it shouldn't really affect your performance or body composition. That being said, only you know your body and if cutting out alcohol is something you want to do and feel better doing, that is your decision.

In my personal experience, alcohol doesn't affect my body composition or workouts unless it is extreme (ie. Results in a hangover which is very rare). I can consume quite a bit without it affecting me, but your experience may differ.
  • dpr73
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've never heard of alcohol consumption affecting muscle mass. Where'd you hear that from?

Some research has shown that alcohol influences muscle protein synthesis negatively. There are a lot of sources citing this through online searches. I could pin down a couple here but it might take a sec to get them
  • dpr73
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think everyone is going to be different and will respond a bit differently to alcohol especially when it comes to workout performance. Do you feel like your workouts suffer even when consuming it in small amounts?

I think that one drink on a date and being sensible about it shouldn't really affect your performance or body composition. That being said, only you know your body and if cutting out alcohol is something you want to do and feel better doing, that is your decision.

In my personal experience, alcohol doesn't affect my body composition or workouts unless it is extreme (ie. Results in a hangover which is very rare). I can consume quite a bit without it affecting me, but your experience may differ.

I haven't noticed it affect me when I drink in moderation. But this is rather new that I have been going for a drink more than once a week. Again, these nights are not wild binge drinking nights obviously, but because it is all new I just am a bit apprehensive about it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

Some research has shown that alcohol influences muscle protein synthesis negatively. There are a lot of sources citing this through online searches. I could pin down a couple here but it might take a sec to get them

Was this in small amounts or large amounts? I remember a study about how it can affect testosterone in large amounts but females differently (not as negatively from a muscle building perspective). Again it's up to you, if you are seeing negative effects and you don't think it's your actual training program, diet or anything else, then maybe giving it up could be worth a try.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Oh, but I clearly remember the "Martini Diet" which was "the rage" in the mid - 1980's and there was even a book printed. It was amazing - guaranteed, 100 % weight loss within 6 months - death by liver cirrhosis. Tried it for a couple of weeks, can't remember much - was just a happy, hazy feeling all day long... :)

That did make me laugh! 😂🤣😂
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Or the 1970’s model diet of wine and eggs!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to do other stuff on dates.

I go out with people and it never involves alcohol. It's a choice.