I'm broken - need ideas for exercise!!!

Options
I'm not kidding when I say this - every time I try to not be fat, something messed up happens and I break myself in some sort of way.

Recently started cardio kickboxing and cage fitness - LOVED it. Can't do it anymore for a few months because I jammed a few nerves in my wrist, arm and spine.

Before that, i was trying to learn to run. Have some weird foot issues - and have to rest my foot for another few months.

About 5 years ago I had a 21 pound tumor removed which left a HUGE scar and lots of scar tissue. I started to regain my strength - long story that will, I can GUARANTEE make you weepy so I won't post it --- but other sad things happened and I lost most of my strength in my abdomen. It took years of PT to be able to just sit up right correctly with out pain.... and then fast forward to May of this year - I started working out really hard and somehow gave myself a hernia in my incision from the tumor. It's all healed nicely now, but I still don't have much abdominal strength.

I can't walk much because of my foot- can't do sit ups and things yet - now I can't do things that I have to bend my elbows or wrists a whole lot...

There has got to be SOMETHING -- you people are so smart and creative with these things -- have any ideas of things I can do to at least get my heart rate up and maybe use a few uninjured muscles?? Any other carpal tunnel people who have gotten creative with work outs??

I'm not going to be on the laptop or blackberry very much as far as typing, but I will be reading posts!!!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    have you given much thought to swimming?
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nikkie. Get in the water. Do either some swimming or water aerobics. Its low impact, resistance, and cardio rolled into one
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    Maybe a recumbent bike or swimming.
  • Christina269
    Options
    I swim in the summer - we have a great pool - but the season will be ending soon...
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    swim!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yep; swimming and/or water aerobics would be my suggestion! So sorry, but you can and will persevere!!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Or water aerobics?
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I'm gonna vote for swimming, too. :-D There, now we're ganging up on you!
  • vsiddiqi
    vsiddiqi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try bike riding on a flat trail where you aren't exerting too much energy. You'll enjoy the view and get a workout out of it too.
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    I just starting going to a pool at the rec center. Wish I had my own, but this works.
  • Aokark
    Aokark Posts: 25
    Options
    I just started doing laps in the pool and it feels awesome :-)

I also do some other activities in the pool like sprinting and treading water
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    YOGA, Bikram YOGA! Do a google search and read the benefits of it.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Swimming or some sort of easy water aerobics? The water makes it easier on your body & joints.
  • cland160
    cland160 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in the eliptical machine. Very low impact on knees, ankles, and hips. I have arthritis in my ankles and can't run, but I can do the eliptical. And, it will get your heart rate up there where it will do you some good. Try one out at a gym for several weeks. If you fall in love with it, you can always buy one for your home to use anytime.
  • maureenmoosa
    Options
    I use Johnathon Roach's low impact chair work out, it is super easy and it really builds strength. http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sample-lowimpact1.pdf

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Swimming, elliptical and maybe try spinning. Good cardio workouts without impact. And may I suggest - Start slow!!! Sounds like you are going really hard right off the bat and your body isn't ready for that yet. Good luck! (if it makes you feel any better, I'm a firm believer in weight loss is 80% diet so even if you can't workout a lot, you can watch what you eat)
  • Christina269
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I went in the pool tonight and I can't really swim with out losing feeling in my arm, but I was fine treading water.
    I need to break down and do the Yoga stuff.....
    I'm sure I can find someone I know with an eliptical - I love using them when I stay at a hotel!!

You guys are great... I always know I can get lots of great support and encouragement here... thank you!
    Oh - and you're right - I do totally go too hard too fast... I just get carried away when I'm having fun!!!
    Someone suggested looking into fencing.... that sounded fun, too!