First run

Options
Jayz395
Jayz395 Posts: 90 Member
Done my first run this morning. 1.5 miles following a app which takes me between run and walk. Is that the best way to get fit? Not quite sure why it does that. It’s 5k runner app couch to 5k

Replies

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Lots of people use coach to 5k, it's a great app.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Jayz395 wrote: »
    Done my first run this morning. 1.5 miles following a app which takes me between run and walk. Is that the best way to get fit? Not quite sure why it does that. It’s 5k runner app couch to 5k

Awesome!! Welcome to the addiction :) it does that tonkeepnyour from fatiguing. It is a grest way longer started as a new runner.

Trust the app. Inhave heard good things.
  • Jayz395
    Options
    Ok thanks :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yes, C25K is a great beginner app as long as you have the baseline fitness to begin it. Being able to walk comfortably for 30 minutes is a good “prerequisite.”

C25K is an interval program. It has you follow that run/walk pattern to build your endurance and avoid injury. New runners sometimes just go out and run a mile or two a few times a week because they aren’t following a plan and don’t see why that’s a bad idea. They often get injured and/or burnt out from doing activity they didn’t train for. C25K helps prevent that.

Also, go to a running specialty store and get fitted for shoes if you haven’t already :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    C25k works for a lot of people. Be patient and it will take you from no running to 30 minutes continuous running. Seeing progress is very encouraging as you build from 1 minute running to 5 to 8 to 20 to 30. After that it's up to you what you do.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great program. I just completed it a few weeks ago and I am definitely feeling stronger and have more endurance now.
  • angie272513
    angie272513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It’s a great App Currently on week 3.
  • kimmeastar
    kimmeastar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can you use this with a treadmill? it is super hot and humid where I live.
  • Jayz395
    Options
    kimmeastar wrote: »

I don’t see why not all you’ll have to do is slow it down then speed it up
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

I trained with C25K on the treadmill. It works great.
    If you later run outdoors, you may find that you feel as if you've lost some stamina. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to running outdoors with the wind factor, different surfaces, etc.
    However, that's all later. For now, yes, C25K can be used on the treadmill.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Jayz395 wrote: »

Congratulations on your first run. It sounds like you had a successful start to the program.
  • kimmeastar
    kimmeastar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

I trained with C25K on the treadmill. It works great.
    If you later run outdoors, you may find that you feel as if you've lost some stamina. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to running outdoors with the wind factor, different surfaces, etc.
    However, that's all later. For now, yes, C25K can be used on the treadmill.

Thank you. I'm in south Texas, on the border, so I'll be running inside until October. :( I've done 2 days of the app. so far, so good.
  • DeeMyFitPal
    DeeMyFitPal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5! It’s really addicting once you start being able to run more and more so it’s been very motivating for me.