Fitbits aren't worth it

Options
I had one, dropped the extra cash to have the heart rate, and they aren't reliable. They don't track all your activity accurately. They don't track well automatically. Turns out some of the metrics are very accurate. For me it's like comparing it to some miracle diet pills, it could work, but most likely it's just hype and hope.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I love mine!
  • thatjodiegirl
    thatjodiegirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought the Versa, but after a week, I returned it and got an Apple Watch. I like the Apple Watch a lot better.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had a couple Fitbits awhile back, last I had was a Surge. The battery life was terrible, so I got a Garmin and find it to be far better. However, I understand Fitbit has improved since then.
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    After having 2 crap out on me, I just went for a smartwatch. A lot more reliable and better looking
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Fitbit makes no guarantees whatsoever about the accuracy of the data they provide you. Their device can be off by 500% and still be operating within spec.

A lot of people say they're "accurate" but have no way to actually measure that.

Yeah, no thanks. There are plenty of situations where that's at acceptable deal, when you go to the doctor there's no guarantee they can fix you, but you pay them to try. But in this case, it's not worth a couple hundred bucks for what you get.

For the people who benefit from them, awesome! Anything that helps is a good thing.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love mine and find it accurate for calorie tracking etc. Only time it messes up is on long car journeys and when on the ride on lawn mower. I previously had a Garmin which screen broke after 2 months with a screen protector on, cost to replace screen was the same as buying new watch... So despite garmen being better for tracking runs it was not robust or designed practically. My fitbit has been super durable.
  • Jayz395
    Jayz395 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks, everyone like something different
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems to be a mixed bag on these things.

I bought a Garmin, its supposed to get here on Saturday. No idea if it'll work or not but there's a chance it will.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit charge 2. I've got two years of data proving its accuracy. They aren't accurate for everyone, but I have lost weight with it, maintained weight with it, and now I'm gaining a little bit as I build muscle from powerlifting. I find that it syncs well with myfitnesspal and I can accurately figure out how much I should eat on any given day to hit my goal. Since exercise has the potential to greatly (or barely or anything in between) increase your calories used, it's nice to have an idea of how many that is. It's just a tool. Is it necessary? No. But a lot of us really like fitness trackers!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without any kind of body tracking device.

Just good old fashioned food and exercise logging plus weighing myself. I didn't even buy a food scale till the last 20 pounds (out of 75 total lost.)

Well, I guess it wasn't completely old fashioned. I used this site. Super easy, but computer. :wink:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you are using it for.
    Mine is a FT4 Polar, I use it to monitor how many calories I burn. The reset is all on me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I love mine. I don't rely on it but it's handy. (I lost weight the first time before ever having any kind of watch) I know it's not super accurate as far as steps and heart rate and distance etc. but calories burned seems to be pretty accurate for me, I love that it syncs to mfp and adjusts my calorie goal up and down, and it does it's job at keeping me motivated to move more.
  • boyoamsterdam
    boyoamsterdam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H10. There were some troubling reviews on Amazon. I went ahead and purchased one from the company. I've used it for 6 weeks now in my home gym and on walks. Paired with the Polar Beat app it has been flawless.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I've previously lost weight without one so it's totally doable but I love data so my Fitbit is great! I've been logging all my data into a spreadsheet for the last 9 weeks to see if the data is accurate and it's just a bit off, seems to overestimate by about 100-200 calories according to my deficit and how much I've actually lost, could always be user error too, I could be underestimating my calorie intake. Which I am fine with because once you know that kind of stuff you can make adjustments to your CI/CO.

Not everyone's cup of tea though I get that!