Pre-workout

Options
Does a pre workout supplement have any benefits when it comes to moderate cardio exercise? I don’t mean like high intensity cardio, but things like running/jogging, elliptical training, etc.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In a word, no. Pre-workouts, mind you, aren't any more useful than caffeine in most situations and even then a lot of people don't need them (though they may be led to believe they do) outside of people who need a cup of coffee to wake up.

This past fall through winter I did an 45-60 min of intense cardio (coached indoor rowing) at 5am 3 days a week. I didn't consume anything prior and typically had my usual breakfast after. Most people I know will either eat nothing or drink a cup of coffee and have a banana before hand.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Its essentially expensive caffeine. Some have BCAA's and other suppliments, but they are mostly unnecessary for the majority of people and/or are adequately present in a balanced diet. I keep it on hand for the days I'm short on time and need a quick boost, but usually I find carbs to be the best pre-workout. My go tos are banana, oatmeal, or toast.
  • cavefallss
    cavefallss Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @Justinrw86 I was also wondering this myself. I have been researching the best one, if any.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been using Lit pre workout for the past 2 months. I personally like it. I feel like I get a better run in when I use it, especially on the days where I am feeling sluggish and am borderline not running at all.
  • chambersrossl998
    chambersrossl998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Many are not recommended for workouts such as cardio where the heart rate is elevated for prolonged periods of time. However, caffeine, which is a staple in most pre-workouts is known to increase energy. Another ingredient commonly found in many pre's is Beta-Alanine, which has some evidence that points to aiding cardio workouts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If anything run a high dose of caffeine. Beta-alanine and L-Citruline are good for recovery but more linked to lifting or cycling.

Overall, if you are only doing light cardio, you won't see the improvements from a pre-workout.

• estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend taking pre-workout for cardio! I sometimes take it for lifting, but once I took it before a spin class and wish i hadnt. I actually had to stop half way through, cause my heart kept stopping and starting, or so it felt. Was awful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Save your money.