Best substitute for sweets 🍫 (chocolate)

Options
I am starting my weight loss journey and one of my weaknesses is sweets mainly chocolate.., any recommendations of substitutes for sweets?

Replies

• lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like the Atkins bars. They have “treat” bars that are 120-130 calories and are actually really good. I still eat chocolate too- Hershey’s bars, brownie squares. I just log it and make sure it fits in my calorie goal 🙂
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I still eat be chocolate & ice cream. I just make them fit in my day. Individual pieces are great if you are able to eat just a few. Rationing is not something I'm good at though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find most substitutes for chocolate aren't satisfying and I just keep wanting it anyway.

I like the Dove dark chocolate Promises they are very rich so a couple is enough. 100 calorie fudge pops. 90 calorie Swiss Miss cocoa packets. And sometimes I weigh out a serving of good chocolate ice cream and fit it into my calories (or close!).

I ate something chocolate every day while I was losing :smile:
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Its not chocolate and it contains natural sugar, but frozen red grapes are a huge favorite of mine. Incredibly satisfying and sooooo addicting. Better than candy or chocolate, in my opinion.
  • daisygirl2452
    daisygirl2452 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like the individual wrapped gheradelli dark chocolate Carmel. So rich only want 2 which is 140 cal
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The darkest chocolate you can find, 85% or so, then one square with a nice cup of tea.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    i kept eating chocolate, cutting that out would have been impossible. ok possible but made me grumpy sad and less likely to keep at it.

i DID have to buy individually packaged portions the first while. i used a lot of 80-90 calorie frozen chocolate fudge bars. i love pudding cups. with time i was able to eat 1.5 squares of a good lindt bar but that took time.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I think I succeeded in weight loss because I was able to fight my sweet tooth to a draw.

Agree that the idea is to find something to fit in your plan. What I discovered-

I wasn’t going to be able to work with baked goods. The calories in cookies, cakes, pies, banana bread and stuff like that were too much to work with. Likewise donuts. A low cal portion was not going to be a satisfying portion.

I found more bang for the calories in frozen treats. Experiment and try to find something you can fit in your plan. I eat candy now and again. Usually dark chocolate. I don’t keep it in the house. I have to go out and buy it. One piece at a time. Or candy bars I break off a piece and freeze the rest.

• jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to try carob chips, they good. I also do unsweetend cranberries, and occasionally dark chocolate espresso beans (I think that is what they are called). What you could do is just allow the calories for you sweets, example around Easter I order cordial cherries from my granddaughter and figured them into my meal plan and stayed within calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am starting my weight loss journey and one of my weaknesses is sweets mainly chocolate.., any recommendations of substitutes for sweets?

Individually wrapped Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares for me. You'll likely have to learn moderation at some point. I can't see craisins (or carob chips) as a forever substitute.

I like sugar free fudgesicles too.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I do my best to incorporate chocolate and other items and track them; then I don't feel deprived. I have an awesome recipe for what I can Protein No Bake Fakes. That totally keeps my chocolate cravings at bay.

Thoroughly mix together the following:
    3 cups oats
    5 scoops of chocolate protein powder
    1 C of water
    1T Hershey’s Dark cocoa
    8T peanut butter powder
    1tsp vanilla

Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick pan spray. Put the mixture into the pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit overnight. Cut into 16 squares. 131 calories depending on your protein powder.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Atkins Endulge has a product that tastes very like Snickers, and has tiny net carbs. They are hideously expensive though,so maybe just work on keeping your chocolate in very small portions, like single pieces of small things.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No substitute just portion control. Individually wrapped mini bars or Dove squares. The Aldi store-brand dark chocolate squares are SOOOO good too.

Fudge popsicles instead of ice cream sometimes satisfies.

Hot chocolate made with cocoa powder, unsweetened vanilla almond milk and barely enough sugar and a dash of stevia

Sodas, no way. I can’t do diet drinks, so I just don’t buy them except for when I’m really having a craving, then I’ll buy an individual bottle or cannfrom a vending machine. I’m in charge of meals at our church which include sodas so I buy Pepsi. I HATE Pepsi 🤣 Problem solved 👍🏻
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I adore chocolate. Some of the ways I enjoy portions that fit my 1200-calorie limit:
    1) Pair a small pre-portioned serving of chocolate with strawberries or raspberries. Adds more volume to the dessert.
    2) Cut up your chocolate serving into smaller pieces. Ever seen that Seinfeld episode where Mr
    Pitt eats a Snickers with a knife and fork? I'm that person now. It's too easy to finish chocolate quickly and wish there was more. Eating small bites helps me savor it more.
    3) Generally, I go for "real" chocolate, but sometimes, a chocolate protein shake is good enough, and it is definitely more filling than other ways of having it.
    I've eaten chocolate every day since I started MFP, and I'm happy with my weight loss so far.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for chocolate:-). I love chocolate so I buy a small pack of three (3) Ferrero Rocher at a time. I usually have one (1) per day which amounts to 77 calories.

This is a long term journey, so I have the deserts I like in small portions.
  • FatToFitChaser
    FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sweets addict here
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (I do Dannon Light n Fit) + 1 Tbs of dark choc chips = 150 cals. You can also add 1 Tbs of chopped walnuts (50 cals) and 1 Tbs of coconut (35 cak if you have extra cals.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lily’s stevia sweetened chocolate. You can get at Sprouts, Whole Foids, Publix, Nutrition Smart in my area. Look online and see if it is available near you.
  • UK2ME
    UK2ME Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Jello and pudding cups with a touch of squirty cream or Cool Whip can ease a craving, and I like fruit popsicles (Outshine and Solero are my favourites) for sweet treats.
  • GxbbyLatina
    GxbbyLatina Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much :)