How many of you go to a gym?

Options
mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
I really want to go to this gym right down the street from me. Its 24 hrs and its 12.99 a month.

I mentioned it to the fiancee.. He said no...

Here are his reasons..

He thinks they are a waste of money.. Usually people pay for a gym membership and never go
He said he doesn't want guys harrassing me
I'm thinking there might be a little low self esteem there too...maybe he thinks i'll meet someone there.. who knows

I wanna go there mainly for the treadmill. I see how much you all burn on those...

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Your husband is partly right, those are facts for SOME of the people who try the gym, however, just as many people stick with it without issue, or else the entire "gym" idea would go down the drain.

For $13 a month, what do you stand to lose (besides weight). I'll spend that in a couple days at Starbucks! I say you should do it!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym. If you go, it isn't a waste of money. If you don't go, it is a complete waste of money.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Your husband is partly right, those are facts for SOME of the people who try the gym, however, just as many people stick with it without issue, or else the entire "gym" idea would go down the drain.

For $13 a month, what do you stand to lose (besides weight). I'll spend that in a couple days at Starbucks! I say you should do it!

Yeah thats what the sign said.. does that seem extremely cheap? Just wonder if you have to sign up for a year or somethingaheadof time.. which I hope not
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I go regularly and love it!
    Never had a problem with any guys there...
    $13.00/month is really cheap!
    I say go for it! ;)
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    thats super cheap for a membership. I pay $40 a month. I say do it!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I do both...

I don't get harassed at the gym. Stick your ear phones in your ears and ignore everyone! I like going for the treadmills and all the other equipment I can't afford. My gym also has classes that come with your membership that i like to attend every now and then. Mine is way more expensive than 13 though. Luckily my husband jobs pays for part but I am still paying 40 a month. So I make myself go too cuz I don't like wasting money!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I think for that kind of $ you should. Just make it worth your while. Say that you have to go at least 13 times a month. I think that your loving man may be a little intimidated. I am sure if you get him involved he'll be good and help back you up.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    $13 is a really good price per month, do it and make him go too.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym and I go almost daily but there was a time when I paid for a membership and never went so I see what he is talking about. Overall I say join if you are going to go. Don't let his reasoning hold you back. I love going to the gym and see a difference in my looks and health. I say do it do it do it :smile:

Also if you join......venture out and try other machines :smile:

I pay $10 per month a my gym...........Planet Fitness it's great!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I do both...

I don't get harassed at the gym. Stick your ear phones in your ears and ignore everyone! I like going for the treadmills and all the other equipment I can't afford. My gym also has classes that come with your membership that i like to attend every now and then. Mine is way more expensive than 13 though. Luckily my husband jobs pays for part but I am still paying 40 a month. So I make myself go too cuz I don't like wasting money!

I also do some dvds at home or the wii!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If you actually plan on going regularly, do it. If you're only go for the treadmill... consider just going for a jog outside for 15 minutes every day, or even investing in a machine for at home.

I go to the gym, but I go once-twice a week and I do a full workout. I go for the cross trainer and either bike or treadmill and about 10 different strength exercises to tone up and build muscle, which helps lose weight as well.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't, but I would if it was convenient for me.
  • rluxie
    rluxie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is there a contract? If it is 13 a month and no contract I agree with the previous comment. "You have nothing to lose but weight." Of course, your boyfriends concerns are important too if the relationship is important to you. Perhaps he has paid you a very high compliment. Maybe he would join the gym with you. :heart:
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Here in Phoenix, we have a gym that is that cheap (Pure Fitness). They may have $99 enrollment fee, and some do, and some don't require a year membership. Just give them a call.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    I think for that kind of $ you should. Just make it worth your while. Say that you have to go at least 13 times a month. I think that your loving man may be a little intimidated. I am sure if you get him involved he'll be good and help back you up.

Yeah I told him he could go with me lol. He said why would he wanna go to a gym lol.. I was trying to show him he had nothing to worry about
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I go to our YMCA gym. My husband encourages me to go. I doubt any man would want me looking all nasty and sweaty! Hahaha! Have him go work out with you if he does not want you going. But really...he needs to work on some trust issues if he is worried about you finding someone else at the gym. If couples would do more together the whole trust issue would not be a problem! :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym 5 days a week! Worth the money because its too hot for me to run long distances outside >.<

never been harassed by anyone. hit on by some lol but I get left alone once i get mah game face on xD
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you only want a treadmill and you have space for one, get one cheap off of craigslist or similar local ad for <$100.
  • jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    I go to an all ladies gym, not a waste of money at all. A friend and i go every evening to the classes and we also have access to the entire gym, tanning, sauna, and free daycare. Its well worth the money. Easier to stick to it if you have a workout buddy!
  • corinaspaiuc
    Options
    GO to the gym! I started about 6 months ago and it changed my life and my body. I never thought i would go,I could never manage to keep up with the activity but if you find something that you enjoy doing,it's awsome. For me it was aerobics,tae bo, pilates and you have to try kangoo, is so much fun! At my gym,i get all of these for only 1 membership. I don't encourage you to go to fitness and to all the machines,because I find aerobics way more fun and the classes are usually full of women all sizes and ages. When I got my first membership I entered a new comunity full of support and stories about health and weight loss. We have sauna for free and so after the class we all go to sauna and chat about new food recipes and stuff.... You should definetly go,don't listen to your man, maybe he thinks that if you will look better you will dump him or something wich is perfectly understandable...just do it for yourself girl!