One year goal.

Options
I just turned 54. I am 59 inches tall and 274lbs. want to lose 100lbs by the time I am 55. Is this possible? If so what kind of calorie and macros should I do? I will be walking and swimming as my main excerise s!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    That averages out to about 8lbs a month. Doable for most of it I imagine. With diligence you'll definitely see a change between now and a year from now! Use the calories and macros MFP gives you and go from there.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your goal, with discipline, patience and perseverance, you’ll have success.

A little suggestion, based on my experience. While being mindful of your 100-lb. weight-loss goal, consider your day-to-day mindset of your weight-loss goal for the next 30 days and let that be the driver of your fitness and nutrition choices.

Contrary to what some might suggest, weigh yourself daily, same Bat time, same Bat channel. Keep impeccable food diary and weigh your servings. Be rigorously honest 24/7.

Wishing you the best.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It's possible but maintaining that rate of loss will be very challenging. I lost 100lb over the course of about 18 months so doing it in 12 will require you to be extremely diligent.

I do have to ask, why the added pressure of a time limit? What's the rush? Would it be the end of the world if you were "only" 70lb or even 50lb lighter this time next year?
  • histomom
    histomom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If I don’t make it I will be okay with that. I am at 274 now and if I can get under 200 in that amount I will be happy! I just turned 54 and I sure don’t want to turn 55 in the 200’s! I think in my mind going for the bigger number will keep more on top of my discipline.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you resolve to have healthy habits by the time you turn 55, and start now learning what those are.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are motivated. Good luck to you. I recommend not changing everything about your diet at once. Make small changes over time and enjoy the journey. There will be off days (we all have them.). Don’t let the off days discourage you. I’m sure you’ll do great!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    histomom wrote: »
    If I don’t make it I will be okay with that. I am at 274 now and if I can get under 200 in that amount I will be happy! I just turned 54 and I sure don’t want to turn 55 in the 200’s! I think in my mind going for the bigger number will keep more on top of my discipline.

You are better off just being happy with weighing less next year and not assign a number value to it because it is likely to be extremely close to 75 pounds. I know this because that is around what I will lose from Feb 15 this year to next. That is a fairly solid conservative number because I know I will have days off for diet breaks, holidays, and vacations just like I did in my first 12 months.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    While I agree with everyone who says to just focus on the process and be happy with whatever you achieve, I'm a little more optimistic than some that you might actually manage to lose 100 lbs or close to it in a year, or hit your slightly less aggressive goal of getting under the 200 lb mark.

For anyone who might not have done the math, for OP, losing 100 lbs from a SW of 274 lbs would average under the recommended maximum of 1% of current weight over the course of the year. Also , OP is under 5 feet. Even after losing 100 lbs, she'll still be on the low end of the class II obese range, which suggests that the 2 lb a week upper limit could still be appropriate at that point.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    While I agree with everyone who says to just focus on the process and be happy with whatever you achieve, I'm a little more optimistic than some that you might actually manage to lose 100 lbs or close to it in a year, or hit your slightly less aggressive goal of getting under the 200 lb mark.

For anyone who might not have done the math, for OP, losing 100 lbs from a SW of 274 lbs would average under the recommended maximum of 1% of current weight over the course of the year. Also , OP is under 5 feet. Even after losing 100 lbs, she'll still be on the low end of the class II obese range, which suggests that the 2 lb a week upper limit could still be appropriate at that point.

I have done the math. I see it in my spreadsheet every morning. My Feb 15th weight was higher than the OP.

If you run the numbers for the entire year it looks possible but it is very strict. I do think the OP could lose 75 pounds of fat but I have no idea with it being that close if it will show up on the bathroom scale the very day the year is over.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    histomom wrote: »

Then can I suggest doing away with the time crunch of "X weight by Y date" and just concentrate on losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way that enables you to continue to enjoy your life.

Weight loss can be difficult enough as it is without the added the added pressure of an arbitrary ticking clock, so give yourself a break, just focus on making progress. If that's 100lb, 70lb or even 50lbs you'll be in a better, healthier place 12 months from now.

G'luck