Capsacin

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
I recently read that capsacin can help boost metabolism. Great news for me because I love spicy food. The problem is I am not sure which foods actually have capsacin and which are spicy for some other reason. Can anyone suggest some foods or products that might be high in capsacin?

Replies

• mbailey2981
    Options
    Oh WOW, i thought that just helped with joint pain. Go figure!!!:smile:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Chili peppers contain it. Put chilies on/in your food.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I bought some naga jolokia (ghost pepper) sauce. You like HOT??? that stuff will DEFINATELY clear you out! Nearly 1 million scoville!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Oh WOW, i thought that just helped with joint pain. Go figure!!!:smile:

I did not know that. That is good to know to since I have osteoarthritis.
  • atisketataskets
    Options
    I'm a Cayenne Pepperholic! (I sprinkle it on everything)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    I recently read that capsacin can help boost metabolism. Great news for me because I love spicy food. The problem is I am not sure which foods actually have capsacin and which are spicy for some other reason. Can anyone suggest some foods or products that might be high in capsacin?
    The effect is minor. It's more about calorie deficit.
  • atisketataskets
    Options
    I bought some naga jolokia (ghost pepper) sauce. You like HOT??? that stuff will DEFINATELY clear you out! Nearly 1 million scoville!

Oh my! I heard about ghost peppers.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Anything with cayenne or "red pepper"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    The effect is minor. It's more about calorie deficit.

Well I realize that, but every little bit helps. We are only talking about spices and seasonings.
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    They are currently doing research on the benefits of Capsacin and Diabetes....showing that in rats Capsacin has shown to heal the pancreas in Rats....Do not know when human trials will begin but I take a Capsacin supplement every day. It makes your nose and sinuses clear and I find that it keeps me feeling great!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Capsaicin is more of an appetite suppressant than a metabolism booster. In several studies, an appetizer with capsaicin was shown to reduce calorie intake for the rest of the meal and later at a post-meal snack
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    They are currently doing research on the benefits of Capsacin and Diabetes....showing that in rats Capsacin has shown to heal the pancreas in Rats....Do not know when human trials will begin but I take a Capsacin supplement every day. It makes your nose and sinuses clear and I find that it keeps me feeling great!

it also causes GI bleeding in the same way that NSAIDs do...wouldnt take it without being directed by a doctor, if I were you
  • jsiler181
    Options
    I put crushed red peppers in/on practically everything! For me that's the cheapest, easiest source,
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As another posted, it is an appetite suppressant, which helps with limiting calorie intake. Any kind of peppers besides bell have Capsacin in them, the hotter they are, the more Capsacin there is. That's why I decided to start making my own salsa.

My salsa recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/327120-homemade-salsa-feedback-appreciated