Super high Calories found in.....

Options

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    McD's mileshake. Super size one is over 1,000 calories. I used to get a large with Big Mac and Fries and boom - 2,000 calorie lunch.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend's folks brought over some zucchini bread yesterday. Sounds healthy, right? The zucchini is fresh out of their garden. We asked for the recipe so we could enter it ingredient by ingredient on MFP. The loaves are small. 343 grams total. Total calories in that loaf? 12,019.

12-thousand and 19!!! 35 calories PER GRAM!

She took a couple of loaves into work with her today. Get it out of this house!

I'm not sure that's possible! Are you SURE you entered it right?

Yeah, I'm having difficulty believing that as well. Even my mom's ridiculously heavy and nut-filled banana bread comes out to around 4k calories for a regular sized loaf.

If the loaves you were given are minis, remember to take into account the recipe was probably split three to four ways (or more, depending on the recipe, one of my moms quickbreads, pumpkin I think, makes six mini loaves). So that 12k could be more like 3k or 2k per loaf.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend's folks brought over some zucchini bread yesterday. Sounds healthy, right? The zucchini is fresh out of their garden. We asked for the recipe so we could enter it ingredient by ingredient on MFP. The loaves are small. 343 grams total. Total calories in that loaf? 12,019.

12-thousand and 19!!! 35 calories PER GRAM!

She took a couple of loaves into work with her today. Get it out of this house!

I don't think that's physically possible. I mean, out of all the macronutrients, fat has the highest caloric content per gram (9 cals/gram). Even if we assume that the ENTIRE loaf was all fat (which it wasn't), that would still only come out to 3,087 calories (9 x 343). A lot of physical and chemical reactions take place during cooking/baking so it's possible that a lot of what was in the raw ingredients got lost during the cooking. I wouldn't know how else to explain it, unless you entered something wrong or were given the wrong measurements in the recipe.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    a GREEK SALAD WRAP at deangelos is...drum roll..810 CALORIES!! i thought i was choosing the healthiest thing on the menu

from now on ill only have the soup!!

damn but it sounds so yummy lol
  • andy_gilfrin
    Options
    Peanuts are the one for me. I love peanuts and sometimes have them as a snack but a reasonable size pack of say 90g has close to 500 calories.

When I go over my calorie goal it's generally because I have been a little low on calories during the day and decided to bulk up with some peanuts.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! So disappointing! Delicious and healthy but dang... the peanut butter I eat is natural so it's literally just crushed up peanuts, which is still oily smooth. I was doing some comparisons and it has ~the same cals (maybe even a bit more) as Skippy or other processed PB but WAY less sodium and WAY more protein. Figure it's an ok trade off.
  • morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dominos Pizza, for sure.

Occasionally back in the day I'd order a large one and eat it to myself over the course of an evening. If you go for the stuffed crust or the stuffed base (or both, woah...) they peak at over 3500 per pizza. That's over double my entire daily food intake now.

Of course, you don't expect a Dominos pizza to be healthy (far from it) but it's still a crazy amount.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    muffins are never a good choice, they're just a cupcake with fruit, without icing (but sometimes with coffee cake crumble), and when store bought made in a larger tin.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are the one for me. I love peanuts and sometimes have them as a snack but a reasonable size pack of say 90g has close to 500 calories.

When I go over my calorie goal it's generally because I have been a little low on calories during the day and decided to bulk up with some peanuts.

That's all good though, healthy fats :bigsmile:
  • killagb
    Options
    Peanut butter! So disappointing! Delicious and healthy but dang... the peanut butter I eat is natural so it's literally just crushed up peanuts, which is still oily smooth. I was doing some comparisons and it has ~the same cals (maybe even a bit more) as Skippy or other processed PB but WAY less sodium and WAY more protein. Figure it's an ok trade off.

Don't forget that you get a nice dose of potassium!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I got a grilled chicken dish at Applebee's once. Got home to find it was 1200 calories! GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST for 1200 calories? Really? Could have gotten a hamburger.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts shocked me. I didn't realized one tart was a serving. If I'm going to have a 500 calorie breakfast, it's going to be a lot better than a couple of dry pastries!
  • atessieri
    atessieri Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    chicken parmeseagna skillet meals, my boyfriend and i use to make it for dinner with garlic bread just half of the main meal is about 500 calories + the garlic bread and whatever drink we would have.....ouch (he made it last night and i brushed my teeth while it was cooking so i wouldn't be tempted to eat any lol)
  • reggaegirl02
    reggaegirl02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All of my favorite SALAD DRESSINGS!! Blue Cheese, Ranch, Creamy Parmesan....ugh. 160 calories in 2 tablespoons??! Really!? sheesh! Since I've realized this I've become a 'dabbler' instead of a 'drencher' with my dressing. lol
  • killagb
    Options
    All of my favorite SALAD DRESSINGS!! Blue Cheese, Ranch, Creamy Parmesan....ugh. 160 calories in 2 tablespoons??! Really!? sheesh! Since I've realized this I've become a 'dabbler' instead of a 'drencher' with my dressing. lol

Many times I stick with vinaigrettes...if you like Blue Cheese like I do, a good one is Litehouse brand Blue Cheese Vinaigrette....it's tasty and 80cals per 2tbps!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Many times I stick with vinaigrettes...if you like Blue Cheese like I do, a good one is Litehouse brand Blue Cheese Vinaigrette....it's tasty and 80cals per 2tbps!

I need to try that! I've been going with Wish Bone Light but it's pretty sucky.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options

But what bugs me is "portions"... who decides what a portion should be. why can't everything just be based on 100g (or per Oz for all you Imperialists :laugh: ) That way, it's easy to compare and also work out what's on your plate or in your meal :smile:

Funny... I work in the US for a swiss-based company, and people are always bringing us back treats from Switzerland. It drives me crazy when the nutritiion information is given for 100g - I have no idea how much of a chocolate bar is 100g :happy:

The biggest surprise I have had is probably the salad at Olive Garden. Apparently a normal size bowl has 350 calories! That means they put approximately 1/4 cup of dressing on the salad - way more than I would use. Add in 1 breadstick, and that's your entire meal!
  • momburntdinner
    momburntdinner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This that made me go "AW CRAP!"

1 slice of a large cheese pizza at Sbarro's: 459 calories (so not worth it!)
    Sodium in 1 cup 2% cottage cheese: 910mg

Also, the ACTUAL serving size when you make a box of macaroni and cheese, like velveeta, is so freakishly small and has 350+ calories... if you serve yourself a small bowl, it comes out to around 1.5/2 cups and that is 700 cals. GAH.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Marie Calender's Pot Pies. The sneaky thing is that on the large ones, a "serving size" is HALF of a pot pie. Who eats half a pot pie?? So one pot pie has over 1000 calories.

To me, anything that comes in its own plate should be one serving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Speaking of freakishly small servings - did you know a DiGiorno pizza serves 5! Really 5 people?

I make my own pizza now - more control.