Starting to run more but feeling awks

Options
Shepeess
Shepeess Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been doing the local 5km park run for some time but don’t really feel like a runner and I associate running with my ex who was a runner. I don’t know how to make running my own without feeling like a copy cat. I feel this is something I need to challenge myself about so I can grow and move on.

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Go buy some new running shoes and attire and run in different locations and workouts than what you did when together. Wish him well in your thoughts and thank him for what he taught you about running.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Go buy some new running shoes and attire and run in different locations and workouts than what you did when together. Wish him well in your thoughts and thank him for what he taught you about running.

Yes. Also, you know why running is yours? Because anyone who runs is a runner. Don't give ex a second thought.

Find some music that moves you too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,581 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It's normal to feel awkward when learning and adapting your body to a new thing, 100%.

If you want to be a runner, you become one by running. You're not a copycat. Forget the ex, he's history. You're in your body, and you're figuring out what it's capable of. It's OK for that to be awkward at first. It's mandatory, even, if you're challenging yourself beyond your current skills.

Just keep running, if you like it. You'll improve, and make it yours.

:flowerforyou:
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You might consider joining a running group where you can meet other runners who are not your ex. They will meet you as a runner on your own terms.
  • Shepeess
    Shepeess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you Guys... you are right. I am seeing things from a perspective that doesn’t help me experience news things or figure out who I am... funny how our minds can associate things when they no longer support us.