TDEE and MFP Calories

Options
According to my TDEE 2380 and MFP has me set at 1680, I know on the TDEE you need to drop 500 calories off that to lose 1 pound per week. My question is, if I want to lose 1.5 pounds per week (which is what I have the MFP set at) how do I do it regarding the TDEE if that is the route I want to take when regarding calories.

Also, when it ask about activity level on either one of those, what do you select? I workout for an hour a day so that I do burn calories, I go to school so I'm not super active other than when I workout.

I'm trying to figure out which one is going to work for me. Any help?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Pick one method or the other. TDEE includes your exercise calories, MFP's number does not. So either go with your TDEE and take calories from that number, or use MFP's number and add your exercise calories separately. Activity levels are usually what you do day-to-day, not including exercise.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Also if I change my exercise from 3x per week for 60 mins to 5x per week for 60 mins, it does nothing to the calories. They remain the same even though I've increased the amount of exercise on MFP
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    500 calorie deficit per day = 1 pound loss per week, so 750 calorie deficit per day = 1.5 pound loss per week.

That would put you at 1630 calories which is pretty close to your MFP goal as is. Why not eat to that amount and just not account for exercise calories?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Also if I change my exercise from 3x per week for 60 mins to 5x per week for 60 mins, it does nothing to the calories. They remain the same even though I've increased the amount of exercise

On MFP, that is correct.

Pick one or the other.

If you're going to use a tool, you have to use the parameters/instructions for that tool.

Here's the explanation:

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Also if I change my exercise from 3x per week for 60 mins to 5x per week for 60 mins, it does nothing to the calories. They remain the same even though I've increased the amount of exercise on MFP

But you haven't actually done that exercise yet. It's just an intention at this point.
    On here you log your exercise after the event and get credited with an estimate - a TDEE estimate gives you an daily average of what you intend to do (but might end up doing more or less....).

Just two different approaches that should end up in roughly the same place, both work.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just go with mfp. Set my activity level to light active, and let my garmin watch sync my actual activity. That works for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That is your Exercise Goals selection - when you view your Exercise Diary it then shows how much of your goals have you actually hit.

As others have said - it has no bearing on eating Goal since it's not actually done yet.

I've noticed many don't use the Exercise Diary much, nor notice that part of it.