Calorie deficit

Options
Is it possible to be in a calorie deficit without counting calories?

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've done it but it wasn't sustainable. When I reached my goal, I didn't know how to quit losing so I started eating like I did before I started and I slowly gained it all back plus some more.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Of course, yes. A calorie deficit can be achieved by any method that reduces calorie intake and/or increases movement. Calorie counting is merely a tool that helps manage the CI side which can make the process more reliable.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be in a calorie deficit without counting calories?

How else would you know sure if you are in a deficit?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Certainly - several people lost and gained weight prior to calorie counting.

I would say to at least conduct a few days/weeks of the exercise of calories counting to set a firm foundation on say what 4 oz of chicken looks like. The issue with not counting is that this leads to undereating/overeating as there is nothing intuitive about eating at maintenance.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Can you rephrase your question?
    You could have an unhealthy diet of Eggs, Cheese sticks and Celery.
    You could also do cardio for 4 hours too.

So to answer your question, the answer is yes, you would have to know what your eating, for example
    Rabbit Food ( lettuces, mushrooms, celery, etc)
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Well, that's what most diets do. People on keto, weight watchers, Atkins, etc. are following a diet plan without necessarily counting calories. The point of the diet is to get you into deficit with or without counting.

It seems like it'd be hard to be in deficit without either counting or being on some pre defined meal plan though.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    ?

People (and other animals) lose and have been losing weight without counting calories since life started existing. Losing weight is only possible through deficit in energy.

What are you asking exactly?

Do I have to count calories to lose weight

No. But it can help.