The Price for being born - Natural birth or C-Sections

Options
SuperMoniMonk
SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
First let me tell you that I'm not yet a Mother, I do very much look forward to being one in the near future . In my ignorance you will usually hear me say , " I'll just have a C-section and get it over with" How convenient right ...? ..but last night I watched " The price for being born" on Nextflix. Was I wrong!

What an eyer opener!

Over 70% of Births in Asia and Europe are natural births assisted by Midwifes- also the lowest rate of mortalities.

The U.S stands alone at 8% of natural Births- higher mortality rate.

It's said that American women are constantly being told that they can't do this alone- a team of doctors ,drugs and surgery is the norm. We all know hospitals are business , each C-sect can cost up to 13,000, while a home birth is around 4,000.

A woman on labor who is not dilating quick enough according to hospital staff will be enduced with drugs (they need to service you and quickly) which puts stress on the baby ,causing heart rate to rise therefore an urgent c-section is required.

At home you are not pressure, Time is not an issue , you can give the baby the chance to come naturally.

After watching the natural home births on this documentary , I'm now leaning to have one of this myself when time comes.They also discuss the scientifically proven " Love Hormones" that come to affect the moment the mother and baby embrace, it's a very intimate and beautiful moment.

Let me hear your opinions Moms out there =D

Replies

• SunnyDuckz
    SunnyDuckz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children. The 1st was born vaginally with some medical inetrventions in the hospital. The 2nd and 3rd were born at home with certified midwives and birth attendants. Each experience was unique and wonderful :flowerforyou:

*edited to add~about those love hormones?? They are very real and the most incredible phenomenon you, as a mother, will EVER experience! Good for you for doing your research :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The only reason I had a c-section was because of the size and position of my twins. They never turned and were out of room by the time they were supposed to turn downward. They would have both been breech. I wouldn't have minded the other way.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Well have 3 boys all delivered early with emergency c-sections (never learned:laugh: ) It was difficult cos you are sore and in my case all my babies were taken to baby care right away, so I never got to see them for a few hours, let alone hold them, that was weeks later. It certainly was hard, but I didn't feel any less of a mother, I think the bond happens before the baby is born anyway, so I was feeling the love for all mine whether I could touch them or not. That being said, the first moment I got to hold all of them was very precious:heart:
  • tammyeischen
    Options
    I actually had a c-section 6 months ago. I wa induced into labor becuase at my due date I still had not diated, even to a 1. My water broke after the induction but I started to run a fever (103.5 at the highest) and I stop dilation at 8 cm. Had I gone against my doctor's orders to have a c-section, I think I would have continued to run a fever (as well as my baby) and I may not have the healty baby girl I have today. When she was born, it was determined that she was too big to fit through my pelvic bones and she had the cord wrapped around her neck tightly. In my case, I think it was the right decision, but everyone's labor is different.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can say, I was incredibly against the idea of a C-section. I wanted an all natural (med free birth) mainly because I am PETRIFIED of getting IVs. However when I was nearing the end of my pregnancy they found out my son was growth restricted and decided to induce me (IV - eek!) I tried and tried to have a natural birth but they kept upping my pitocin levels in attempts to get him out quickly. Eventually we were both in distress and they called for an emergency C-section. I fought and fought them but eventually was made to have one. It was such a horrible experience for me!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    2 c-sections here. 1st was breech with umbilical wrapped around leg; 2nd I decided to repeat c-section. Each c-section was different and bonding was immediate.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Both my children were born naturally. I didn't have any pain meds. My labor (the time I checked in to the hospital to the time I delivered) was 5 hours for my oldest and 7 for my youngest. But I was very VERY active and stayed in good shape while pregnant. I was always told unless I wanted a long drawn out labor I better stay active. My uncle's wife was pregnant while I was and went thru 18 hours of labor and the epidural wore off before she delivered via c-section. She didn't do anything but sleep while she was pregnant. That was enough evidence for me!
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    yes def dont go for a c section! i was 2 weeks late they induced me and i still couldnt dialate past 5cm after being there for 3 daYS so i went with the c section after your c section your in so much pain! it hurts to cough sneeze or get up i couldnt get out of bed the second your meds wear off the pain hits you hard! i couldnt get out of bed i was in tears 1 night lol not to scare you or anything i told myslef if i have anymore i will stay in labor for days i dont want a c sec ever again! push the baby out and maybe have some epiduural too lol
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    The only reason I had a c-section was because of the size and position of my twins. They never turned and were out of room by the time they were supposed to turn downward. They would have both been breech. I wouldn't have minded the other way.

Same happens with a lady in the documentary, she has all the intentions of doing a natural birth but the baby was breech so a C-sect was a must :)
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am not a mom yet, but looking to be one within the next 2 1/2 years. Both my brother and I were born in a hospital, but through natural, no medication, vaginal births. I have a friend who has midwives her whole pregnancies and did the home births and she loved it. Another friend opted for a C-section and she was in unbelieveable pain for weeks while her incisions healed, obviously pain killer not an option since they can show up in the breast milk which is bad for baby. My fiance and I have been discussing whether to do a home birth or a hospital one. I am a very proud Pagan and would love to do a natural home birth with a midwife and maybe a doula, but he is worried about if there are any "complications" so we'll see what happens, but I would like to keep it as natural as possible, it is my body after all! (now do take with with a grain of salt because I refuse to take medication or go to see a doctor unless it is "really" bad. I try and rely on natural remedies as much as possible for everything)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife chose to go the natural method, but everyone is different and here is what you need to know;

The drugs that make child birth more comfortable for a woman ALSO cause false positives for fetal stress and make Drs think that baby needs to be cut out. So the lesson here is that natural child birth means it is going to hurt.

Many young women are heavier now so the babies are bigger and may not fit out as easily.

See what your insurance will cover.
    Every hospital is different about these issues. Shop around for Drs and hospitals and see what makes you comfortable.

Best of luck.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The state of obstetrics in this country is appalling. It definitely needs overhauling and won't be done by physicians.

My first son was born in a hospital, zero intervention, zero drugs, with a doctor of osteopathy in attendance. My girls were born at home with a licensed lay midwife.

Doctors don't want to wait, want the baby out in a couple of pushes or they cut an enormous episiotomy, and most have no CLUE how to deliver a baby in the breech position.

What we need is for people to transfer their sense of consumerism over to their medical/healthcare in addition to just their purchasing of goods and services. We put up with things from our doctors we would never put up with from any other service. The key is knowledge. Know how your body is supposed to work, know what is normal, and find an obstetrician or midwife who will work with your body rather than working on their own time schedule.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going to be honest. Yes, it's a really corrupt thing about how dangerous a c-section can be. However, I like my vagina where it's at. I ain't EVER had to push a baby out of it, and I pride myself in that. LOL.

In all seriousness though, 1st birth I was in labor for a DAY. I told the doctor to give me a c-section. I begged. I was sick of the contractions, and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Second, repeat. Third I was planning a VBAC but my uterus ruptured and my son was born a month early. There was no other choice. I was one of those rare cases. So it was a life/death kind of thing. I don't regret them at all. I just regret the ridiculous skin flap.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and good...but there are many other reasons for a C-section besides failure to progress. I have a tilted pelvis and all 3 of my babies stayed butt down (frank breech) around 28 weeks. I can only carry a baby one way I guess...and that is butt first...lol! I had to have C-sections...delivering a breech baby is out of the question. I know they can turn babies, but that in itself is very risky.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    First let me tell you that I'm not yet a Mother, I do very much look forward to being one in the near future . In my ignorance you will usually hear me say , " I'll just have a C-section and get it over with" How convenient right ...?

The absolute best option is c-section followed by an immediate tummy tuck. Now you only have to recover from 1 surgery and you come out with a flat tight tummy, win win! - yea I don't have kids either, can you tell ;)
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Wow..! All you ladies are amazing. :flowerforyou:
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    With my first daughter, I was planning on going all natural. I went 4 days past my due date and woke up bleeding. I was at a 3. I continued to bleed heavily and lose clots. I got to a 9.5. Her heart rate would rapidly accelerate to 190 and then decrease a second later to 20. Eventually she quit breathing and I started bleeding rapidly. If I had not had my emergency c-section I would not be here today nor would my daughter. Honestly, I think if you trust your doctor/midwife enough, no matter what you choose and what happens you will be happy in knowing they did everything they could to keep you and your baby safe.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I feel i should add that I was 9 weeks early with my 1st two and they kept me hanging on till 6 weeks prem with my last. I was very ill with undiagnosed kidney problems and fear for my life meant the docs needed to section me. My second and third I was in hospital for many months keeping the babies in as long as possible, but everyone knew it was not an option for me to have a natural birth. I'm in the UK by the way.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to scare you here bu:

I've worked in blood banks for probably 10 years now. About once every month we get a patient from the birth center in the hospital that goes into DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulopathy) because they have Placental abruption, pre-eclampsia or an embolism somewhere.

When DIC happens you're blood does not clot and you bleed profusely. While it is a problem in natural births, it is often fatal (to the mother) in C-section births. The mother will just bleed out from the c-section site. There is almost nothing they can do to stop it once it starts, hopefully the body corrects itself and it stops.

I know that we put over 40 units (body holds around 10)of blood through one patient with a case like this.

Since I've been working in blood bank we've had about 8 or so of these types of things happen that were fatal.

One of my wife's friends died because she went into DIC during an emergency c-section (the baby was in distress). They didn't know whe had a clot and when they did the c-section she went into DIC and bled out in about 15 minutes. The baby later died and her husband went from being excited about having a great wife and about becoming a father to being heartbroken and alone in 15 minutes.

I don't want to make it sound like it happens a lot, we deal with several hundred births a year at our hospital and it's not a common occurance but this happens a lot more to c-section patients than natural birth patients.

I wouldn't allow my wife to have a c-section unless it was absolutely necassary, if I had my way. Anytime you open up the body you open your self up for complications, some that can be fatal.
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    I have one child, and his birth is so very fresh in my head since he's only 15 months.

I delivered vaginally at a hospital, with an epidural. My total labor, was 25 hours. I started contractions, thinking they were braxton hicks at 1:00pm then realized around 7:00pm it may be go time. Sure enough it was, jumped from 4cm to 7cm in 2 hours. My water broke on its own, and it wasn't until about 11:00am, the next day, the doctor decide to give me pitocin to expedite the process. 2 hours of pushing and we welcomed our beautiful son. While the pushing was exhausting I am so glad I got the epidural and was able to get lots of rest before pushing.

Recovery was quick. They had me walking to the bathroom as soon as my epidural wore off, and by the end of the night I was antsy to move around. I was immediately able to shower and move around on my own. I even drove to the store, even though my husband was not too sure about the thought, less than a week later.

Every mother has their own wishes for their birth, and each one is going to vary mother to mother. When we have another child, I hope I am able to do it again vaginally and that it goes as smoothly as my first.

I suggest when the time comes you are pregnant, take pregnancy classes. I found ours to be very helpful in letting you know all of your options for the birth of your child.