Regained the Weight

aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
Lost 45-50 lbs, maintained for a year, gained most of it back this last year.

And I’m disappointed but I know what I did to get here and know how to get back to where I need to be.

I stopped counting, plain and simple. First it was because I maintained for so long. Then it was thinking that I could maintain through two job changes, a move, a promotion, and travel. Lots and lots of travel! In the last five months, I’ve been to Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

Let me tell y’all - there was so. Much. Delicious. Food. It was so much fun!

But now I don’t feel like myself. I’ve started struggling with plane seatbelts (especially regional European flights) and with hiking elevations.

I’ve continued to lift weights because it’s fun but my cardio is trash and you can’t outlift Pad Thai

So here I am, back at it again. I’ve dusted off my food scale and running shoes and am taking a deep breath before diving into this community. Again.

Hey y’all!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Welcome back. <3

Sounds like you have had a lot going on this past year. Refocusing on your logging now things are more settled will get those extra pounds off. You sound as though you are ready.

Your travel sounds wonderful. A couple of years ago I did a similar adventure, just Europe instead of Africa.

I do like the ‘you can’t out lift pad Thai.

Cheers, h.
  • PatriciaLdublin
    PatriciaLdublin Posts: 33 Member
    Me too! Got to my goal weight by the end of last year, first time in years, 4 stone down and then gave up. Regained nearly two stone back. Love being back here, committing to the process.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Welcome back! As you've said, if you did it once you can do it again. I think we all do it now and again. I am up 10 lbs after a 3 week vacation and its back on the horse again this week! Good luck and enjoy!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,453 Member
    Welcome back. I made goal and kept tracking for five years. I go back to it now and again if the scale starts creeping up. Has worked every time I’ve tried it. Nothing beats an honest food diary.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    aeloine wrote: »

And I’m disappointed but I know what I did to get here and know how to get back to where I need to be.

I stopped counting, plain and simple. First it was because I maintained for so long. Then it was thinking that I could maintain through two job changes, a move, a promotion, and travel. Lots and lots of travel! In the last five months, I’ve been to Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

But now I don’t feel like myself. I’ve started struggling with plane seatbelts (especially regional European flights) and with hiking elevations.

I’ve continued to lift weights because it’s fun but my cardio is trash and you can’t outlift Pad Thai

So here I am, back at it again. I’ve dusted off my food scale and running shoes and am taking a deep breath before diving into this community. Again.

Hey y’all!

If you are going to do it, at least do it via some mega food tour and enjoy it !

You've got this OP - good luck !
  • aeloine
    OooohToast wrote: »

Hey y’all!

If you are going to do it, at least do it via some mega food tour and enjoy it !

You've got this OP - good luck !

It was totally worth it!

Even if my pants don't think so!
  • aeloine
    Thanks for all the kind wishes and words of inspiration! Really awesome to see @cmriverside , @88olds , and @middlehaitch still here!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Welcome back! You got this!
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    You can do this!! I am in a similar position - the fun travel!! But I do love trying food and unfortunately it shows!!

I'll add you... we can do this together :)
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member

Hey y’all!

Same here pretty much aside from all the travelling! Welcome back!
  • lupimon8
    lupimon8 Posts: 2 Member
    I lost 80 lbs and regained about 40 lbs back. 😫😥 I know I did it once and I can do it again. So you can! Mentality is everything - one day at a time!! 💕
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    Honestly... maybe it was worth it! You had a whole season of seeing the world and enjoying the foods. No reason to feel guilty. You're just ready to make a change again.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Me too girl, me too. I gained about half of my weight back during pregnancy (and I’m not talking about the actual baby, like what I had left on me after the birth stuff settled out).
    But seasons of life are just that! It sounds like you had a lovely season, but thankfully you have a tool, knowledge, and support to get back to where you were!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Welcome home.... never leave us again!
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Looking at my history on MFP makes me sad. 6 years ago, I lost 50 pounds. I gained back 25 within the first year and then another 40 over the last 5 years. I have come to the realization that I will probably have to log my calories for life.
    I am down 25 this time and have 30 to go. This time I am losing it much slower (which is agonizing) but I think that what I am doing now is much more sustainable also. I have a life and I like food (obviously) and I will have days that I go over. I now look at the whole week and focus on making my goals over time, not daily.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    I just got back to logging in as well recently. Good luck on your journey!! I'll send a friend request, hopefully we'll get to see each other reach our goals! 😊