MAGNESIUM

Options
Mg seems to be the biggest factor in my cramping issue. 4 BIG electrolytes . . . I get sodium, I get calcium, I get potassium, but I am not sure how much Mg I get each day. PLEASE add it to the trackable nutrients. I supplement, but I lose track of how much I have taken in.
I would love to see B vitamins, too. B12 especially, but I know there are limits. Magnesium I would PAY to have tracked, that is how painful leg adductor cramps are. Absolutely the worst pain I deal with short term. Including broken ribs, clavicles, maybe as bad as my hip fracture! (two BAD cycling accidents over the years)

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    LParker54 wrote: »
    Mg seems to be the biggest factor in my cramping issue. 4 BIG electrolytes . . . I get sodium, I get calcium, I get potassium, but I am not sure how much Mg I get each day. PLEASE add it to the trackable nutrients. I supplement, but I lose track of how much I have taken in.
    I would love to see B vitamins, too. B12 especially, but I know there are limits. Magnesium I would PAY to have tracked, that is how painful leg adductor cramps are. Absolutely the worst pain I deal with short term. Including broken ribs, clavicles, maybe as bad as my hip fracture! (two BAD cycling accidents over the years)

Epsom salt baths and magnesium supplement have helped my constant leg pain.

[edited by MFP mods]
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    LParker54 wrote: »

Epsom salt baths and magnesium supplement have helped my constant leg pain.

[edited by MFP mods]

Whether you dip a foot in an inch of Epsom salted water or luxuriate in 200 gallons of it, the point is that the magnesium is readily absorbed through your skin. It is effective.
  • steph2007law
    steph2007law Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also consider using spray on magnesium oil that you can put directly on your skin for direct absorption. You can tell an area that needs additional magnesium because when you spray the oil on it, it soaks it up quickly. While the oil can be itchy, it will give you targeted magnesium where you need it.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For me, a dead giveaway that my magnesium is low is sleeplessness, back pain and foot and leg cramps. I usually take a chewable supplement, but you can also use magnesium oil as someone else suggested, or increase your consumption of magnesium rich foods like nuts and dark, leafy greens.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The best way to take in magnesium is to drink it (our groundwater used to be full of magnesium but since the advent of municipal filtration, it is mostly devoid of it) and to absorb it through your skin via an Epsom salt bath or in the ocean. There's no great way to track that, unfortunately.

Can you take a supplement that provides the recommended daily amount? That way you can be sure you're hitting goal.
  • Spectre1966
    Spectre1966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take 400mg of Magnesium Bisglycinate (2x200mg capsules) every night. It helps me sleep and helps with migraines (I also take 400mg of Riboflavin (B2) as well for that). Would be nice to track those....
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I also would like to see more vitamins and minerals tracked in MFP.

I need to take Magnesium as I have quite a definiciency, as so many people do. It has helped me with migraines, as well. I drink mineral water and I also take a supplement. I like the Thorne brand, as I find these are bio-available more than other brands I've taken. B12, too! As a vegan, B-12 (and so many other supplements) is necessary (unfortunately).

Jenn
  • Tomaraki
    Tomaraki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too would like to see Magnesium Tracking. Have previously requested it. For most of us that are eating whole foods and not processed crap, the argument that it is not required on food labels is specious. Where are the Nutrition labels on Fresh Vegetables or Raw Protein? There aren't any. Most of this information is available online and could readily be added.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Natural Calm. It's a powdered supplement- don't overdo it, though, bc it will act as a laxative @ higher doses. Just add some to water an hour or so before bed. Works great.