HELP!! Cardio (treadmill)

Options
So i will start my cardio work-outs and i am planning on woking out for an 1 hour 5 days a week on the treadmill.... what do yall think of fast walking for 10min, running for 10 min, fast walking for 10min and finally finishing with running for 10 more minuets... the other 20 min will be of crunches and squats ?!?!?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you currently a runner? If not, check out the C25k app as it will help you build up your running, starting at one minute running intervals.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Walking for an hour on a treadmill is not sustainable for most people (very boring, although I know a few that keep it up). I say that you consider mixing it up with outdoor workouts, if possible.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'd pull back on the cardio, keep one long cardio day, and look at a full body lifting program. Not just crunches and squats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of squats and crunches is an extremely inefficient use of your exercise time, bordering on a complete waste of time.

Are you in a gym, or is this at home? Personally I'm with @RGv2 in that you'd be much better off implementing a full body lifting program in the weight room (provided you're in the gym). I'd pull back cardio to non lifting days with maybe a shorter session after you lift. ie, my lifting program typically takes me about 40 minutes and then I spend another 10-15 finishing off with some cardio...my longer cardio sessions are done on non lifting days.

Conversely, if you're doing this at home I'd recommend the same as above but implement a full body bodyweight program, not just a bunch of crunches and squats.

I'd also suggest that since you're primarily walking/jogging that maybe you move that outdoors. I find indoor stationary cardio to be extremely boring and I really can't stick to it for much time. Most of my cardio is outdoors on my road bike or trail bike which is quite enjoyable and I can vary my routes.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise you enjoy. If you enjoy walking/running on a treadmill then do it. If you try to do an exercise you hate then you most likely will not keep it up. I hate full body lifting. I'd rather run for an hour on a treadmill. That's just me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Walking for an hour on a treadmill is not sustainable for most people (very boring ... )

They've earned the nickname deadmill. @Jthanmyfitnesspal knows of what he speaks.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Walking for an hour on a treadmill is not sustainable for most people (very boring ... )

They've earned the nickname deadmill. @Jthanmyfitnesspal knows of what he speaks.

Yes, but add music or a television and it becomes manageable. I run in the mornings in an area that is unsafe for running outside. I do almost all my training on a treadmill.