Anyone have an AWESOME dessert recipe?!?!?...

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
My little brother is going off to college and my parents are having a steak dinner for him. My mom is always the dessert provider, but has since joined MFP to get her weight under control. With this new lifestyle change, the dessert is a little bit of a challenge.

Does anyone have an amazing cake recipe or some kind of dessert that doesn't break the calorie bank but still doesn't compromise a great dessert flavor experience?

Replies

• 4vhughes
    4vhughes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about something like chocolate drizzeled strawberries. Make them the same as you would chocolated 'covered' strawberries, but just with a pretty drizzle of dark chocolate over each. Also good over mandarin orange segments.

Fruit skewers are also a big hit. fresh pinapple, watermelon, grapes, strawberries and kiwi are my favs.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    yes. This: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dessert-island-parfait-recipe/index.html

I just used peaches instead of mangoes and Cinnamon instead of Coconut because I am a cinnamon fanatic...it turned out to be 171 calories, 36g carbs, 19g sugar, and ONE gram of fat. I love love LOVED it! Tonight I'm going to make it again and add a drizzle of sugarfree chocolate syrup!!!! NOM NOM!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Fruit tarts are good, also you could freeze banana's for a few hours and blend, top with anything, real good with cocoa, it's like ice cream...
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    2 cartons non-fat yogurt
    1 package sugar free jello that will go with the yogurt flavor
    1 carton reduced fat or fat free cool whip
    1 pre-made grahm cracker crust

Boil 1/4 cup water to dissolve jello, add yogurt and cool whip, place in pie crust and refrigerate
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    the above sounds wonderful!!!

I was going to suggest angel food cake.. even though I personally don't like it. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have a super easy cheesecake type pie recipe. :)

1 reduced fat graham crust (there's one brand with 0 trans fat; can't remember which one; the other has 2 g. per serving)
    1 small box sugar free fat free cheesecake flavored instant pudding
    1 c. skim milk
    1/2 container of cool whip, thawed

Optional: strawberries or raspberries for garnishing

Mix milk and pudding mix well-about three minutes by electric mixer. Gently fold in cool whip. Pour into pie crust. Garnish with berries. Place in refrigerator to set. 8 servings.

150 calories
    4 g. fat
    2 g. protein
    279 mg. sodium
  • j9hannum
    j9hannum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake isn't too sinful. Maybe incorporate fresh fruit and a drizzle of dark chocolate?
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of making either carrot cake or bananna bread with whole wheat white flour (King Arthur brand) and replacing 2/3 of the oil called for with applesauce. Then I bake it in two sheet pans and use fat free cream cheese and powdered sugar to make icing for it. Its super-moist and delicious ( can also be made into cupcakes for greater portion control!) You can replace some of the sugar in the cake with stevia, if sugar is a concern (but the icing has to have powdered sugar. SO YUMMY and moist!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The fruit skewers drizzled with chocolate sounds yummy! I'm going camping labor day weekend, and will be doing bacon wrapped filets, in aluminum foil I will have butter, green beans, potatoes, a little onion, and a little cream of mushroom soup. I was trying to think of a dessert to go with it.
  • just2liveagain
    Options
    bump
  • ostera15
    ostera15 Posts: 23
    Options
    Nothing fancy, but tonight I chopped up frozen pineapple and strawberries, sprinkled with coconut flake and microwaved a little bit just to warm up.
  • bugsy1970
    Options
    My favorite one to do is to get some nice pears that stand up nicely, leave the stork in place but peel them, then poach them in a pan containing a small amount of diet cordial (orange or fruit cup works well but others also work), a touch of cinnamon and some water (should only be about an inch thick at the most at the bottom of the pan, as you are going to turn it into sauce in the end) - rough quantities are 1/2 cup cordial, 1/4 cup water and a pinch cinnamon). Turn the pears regularly until they are nice and softly poached, and the liquid is a little syrupy, then remove the pears, stand them in a bowl each and slightly thicken the sauce mix in the pan with a little cornflour. then pour over the pears to serve. Add some low fat ice cream and serve.

This also works with apples. Tastes great and eveyrone loves it.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    cookinglight.com has some great recipes!
  • KimberlyDenice
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com...is a awesome site for low low fat and low calories deserts..even peanut butter balls
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i second chocolatecoveredkatie - i made her fudgsicles today and they were divine! they ended up being about 75 cals per pop with almost not fat or sugar for the size of popsicle molds i had. mine were a bit higher cal than hers because i added a tbsp of peanut butter. i highly recommend them !!

my boyfriend took the leftover mix and put it in a bowl and just froze it, and ate it as a sort of ice cream / gelato thing.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options

the only problem with that is it's low calorie but it has a ton of nasty artifical sweeteners and such, it's definitely not "almost good for you"!! as far as a cheat dessert though it's pretty good
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 16 • Serving Size: 1 slice • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 7 pts 
Calories: 301.1 • Fat: 8.1g • Protein: 4.4 g • Carb: 38.2 g • Fiber: 0.4 g

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp canola oil
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 cups grated carrots, peeled
    20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping
    For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Ingredients:

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.

Spoon batter into an 8" x 3" cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.

To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.