Spinning instructor

Options
Hi!

Im currently working towards a Personal Trainer qualification but would like to do some part time work in the fitness industry for experience. I love spinning and would like to do a spin instructor course. Can anyone who has completed one in the Uk give any advice on the course? Should I go with the official Spinning company?

Thanks!

Replies

• queenofthemountains
    Options
    My husband did his spinning qualification a few months ago - he was really pleased with the course. I will phone him this pm and find out what it was called (he's in Canada at the mo). He did a lot of research into finding the best one for him, and he's had some really excellent feedback on the classes he instructs.

xx
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My husband did his spinning qualification a few months ago - he was really pleased with the course. I will phone him this pm and find out what it was called (he's in Canada at the mo). He did a lot of research into finding the best one for him, and he's had some really excellent feedback on the classes he instructs.

xx

Thats great, thanks so much!! x
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Hi, can I ask who you are doing your PT course with?

I have spent this week speaking to loads of providers but they are all pretty hard on the "sell".

Best of luck with your course.

Thanks, Martin
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I did my spinning qualification about 6 years ago through the official spinning company (johnny g). Just go on the spinning website and you should have the info there. I did my fitness qualifications through future fit. They are amazing! Also, becoming a les mills instructor got me a lot of work ( I taught body attack) good luck with it!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Hi there! I did my spinning qualification about 6 years ago through the official spinning company (johnny g). Just go on the spinning website and you should have the info there. I did my fitness qualifications through future fit. They are amazing! Also, becoming a les mills instructor got me a lot of work ( I taught body attack) good luck with it!

Thanks, don't want to take over the original thread but do appreciate the info. If nickiben doesn't mind could this become a bit of a "uk pt course thread" as well?

Regarding spinning classes, I definiately think that they should be part of a pt's course as a couple of gyms I have spoken with say that they are THE most popular/fully booked course.
  • nickiben
    Options
    Course I dont mind the thread changing. Its hard on here to find people from the UK as so much is Amercian.

Im doing my PT course through Future fit too. Its really good as can work at my own pace and around my current job.

I dont know how long to wait before doing a spinning course, Do you have to do a lot of work for the exam? I dont want to overload myself too much and fail both!
  • nickiben
    Options

Can I ask, what job you do now with all your fitness qualifications?
  • lp0007
    Options
    Course I dont mind the thread changing. Its hard on here to find people from the UK as so much is Amercian.

Im doing my PT course through Future fit too. Its really good as can work at my own pace and around my current job.

I dont know how long to wait before doing a spinning course, Do you have to do a lot of work for the exam? I dont want to overload myself too much and fail both!

Yay! Another future fitter! I did spinning first but I was already an aerobics instructor so it made sense to do that first. It was only a two day course when I did spinning. It's all practical so if you have a spare weekend I would go for it. I started teaching spin the day after my course finished so I didn't even have time to get scared about teaching it lol!
  • lp0007
    Options

Can I ask, what job you do now with all your fitness qualifications?

I worked in fitness for about 7years and have just moved into nursing (started this year) as I became more interested in gp referrals and obesity and diabetes management as opposed to fitness. Now i am caring for people who have heart attacks etc. Very rewarding :smile: It just felt like a natural progression...
  • nickiben
    Options
    Thats tthe spinning course still seems to be, just a weekend workshop. I just didnt want to overload myself with lots of learning!!

Ive had a look for spinning job vacancies but i cant seem to find any in the South East. But I suppose once Im qualified then theres no rush, especially as Im still doing my normal day job. I think I better get my spinning fitness up first though, Spin fitness it like something else :noway:
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I took the official Spinning instructor course in NYC back in 2007... it was really informative! I didn't stick with it as a job, but it's definitely a great class.
  • lp0007
    Options
    Thats tthe spinning course still seems to be, just a weekend workshop. I just didnt want to overload myself with lots of learning!!

Ive had a look for spinning job vacancies but i cant seem to find any in the South East. But I suppose once Im qualified then theres no rush, especially as Im still doing my normal day job. I think I better get my spinning fitness up first though, Spin fitness it like something else :noway:

You will be fine :happy: once you are qualified send your cv to all the gyms near you and ask to be put on their cover teacher list. That is how I got classes. Once you have done some cover and people like you then you will start to build up regular classes. It takes time but you will get there. Good luck!
  • queenofthemountains
    Options
    OK, just spoken to my lovely hubby, and he did it through Debbie Kneale Performance Cycling. One of the main reasons he picked them was because he didn't have to have a level 2 gym instructors' certificate to start with - most of them require you to do this. The other thing with DKPC is that the course is professionally recognised and actually gives you REPS points for doing it (if you're interested in that). Foxy just wanted to do the spinning rather than all the other stuff because he's involved iwth the local triathlon club so wanted to help with training sessions, but since he works full-time, he's not looking at it from a career perspective.
    Hope this helps.
    Also, if you want a few pointers or tips or ideas, I'm sure he'd be happy to chat to you about it. He quite likes firing people up and encouraging them.

xx
  • martinh78
    Options

Cool. I'll have another look at Future Fit. To be honest I'm overloaded with course literature, prices, etc at the moment! Might set some time aside on Monday, have the weekend off from it all to clear my head!

I just want to get on and do it, but funding is also an issue. If money was no object I'd be doing the EIF residential course! I would rather do 6 weeks full time as I learn better that way.
  • nickiben
    Options
    OK, just spoken to my lovely hubby, and he did it through Debbie Kneale Performance Cycling. One of the main reasons he picked them was because he didn't have to have a level 2 gym instructors' certificate to start with - most of them require you to do this. The other thing with DKPC is that the course is professionally recognised and actually gives you REPS points for doing it (if you're interested in that). Foxy just wanted to do the spinning rather than all the other stuff because he's involved iwth the local triathlon club so wanted to help with training sessions, but since he works full-time, he's not looking at it from a career perspective.
    Hope this helps.
    Also, if you want a few pointers or tips or ideas, I'm sure he'd be happy to chat to you about it. He quite likes firing people up and encouraging them.

xx
    This is great, thanks for the info - I will look into it! I will be level 2 trained soon, but good to look at all options. Thanks :smile:
  • nickiben
    Options

Cool. I'll have another look at Future Fit. To be honest I'm overloaded with course literature, prices, etc at the moment! Might set some time aside on Monday, have the weekend off from it all to clear my head!

I just want to get on and do it, but funding is also an issue. If money was no object I'd be doing the EIF residential course! I would rather do 6 weeks full time as I learn better that way.

There is so much to learn, my mind is blown away with it all! I do 2 hours a day, on the commute to and from work. I could never learn it all in 6 weeks. They do a monthly payment plan, but I just an interest free credit card to 2 years and put it on that so I pay no interest. I looked at loads of courses, but this one felt right for me.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Keep us updated as to how it goes!
  • nickiben
    Options
    Will do. Got my first exam at end of Oct, so busy revising!