Beginner running advice? Did you find running rough at first and what did you do to make it easier ?

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

I just went on my first jog in about a year. I literally could barely do 2.4 km. I used to be doing 3x (thanks C25K) this distance when I was heavier which just shows me being thinner doesn’t necessarily mean you’re fitter, I guess. I used to do 8 km at a slower speed but never got to the point where I enjoyed it. This jog today was very rough. Reminded me to when I couldn’t run even 400 meter at my heaviest. My goal was to go further distance, but I couldn’t keep on. I just want to be physically able to jog some sort of distance without feeling like I’ll keel over. Did anyone here start jogging and how did you come to enjoy it?? How often did you jog? Does it ever become relaxing? My plan is to just keep running 2.4 km 3 times a week until it becomes easier. And strength train 2 times a week. Any tips ?

Replies

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yep, when you think you are going slow enough, go twice as slow. If you read any articles on running and mistakes people make, its pretty much always that they run too hard for the amount of distance they want to cover in a week. So go slow and just keep going.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said I would repeat the c25k training. I've done this a few times, I usually skip the first week but I re-do the entire training.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I did C25k, then went up to 10k, then started training for a half marathon. I went from 3 days a week to 4 then to 5. What I learned was that with more mileage, it got a lot easier. The first two miles of every run are rubbish until my legs warm up and loosen up. Then I can get into a decent rhythm. Some runs are great, some are awful, most are just a good workout but I feel good afterwards.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I am starting to run. Not very good at it.
    _ Unlike you I don't look at distance I look at time. How long can I jog for, with out resting.
    So last Monday, I jogged for 2min. Then Tuesday, 2.10min, Wed, 2.2 etc... so it adds up to a 1.3 miles.
    My point is use a smaller distance keep adding to it, at a slow pace, start at 1k, then 1.1, then 1.2 etc..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    maybe start C25K again, but start on week 3
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I would repeat C25K and slow down. Slow way down. Slow down so far that, if you had to, you could carry a conversation easily.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think running will ever not suck for me. I completed C25K, but I hated every minute of it. On the opposite side, I also decided to give swimming a try. I felt like I was going to drown (even though I technically know how to swim). I just couldn't get the breathing right. After a few lessons and practice, swimming is actually hugely enjoyable to me. I still have terrible stamina, but at least I enjoy it. I think life's too short to do things you hate if there are other alternatives. I've been keeping up really short runs, just so I can outrun the zombies heaven forbid, but I'm tabling running as a main form of cardio for swimming.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I don't think running will ever not suck for me. I completed C25K, but I hated every minute of it. On the opposite side, I also decided to give swimming a try. I felt like I was going to drown (even though I technically know how to swim). I just couldn't get the breathing right. After a few lessons and practice, swimming is actually hugely enjoyable to me. I still have terrible stamina, but at least I enjoy it. I think life's too short to do things you hate if there are other alternatives. I've been keeping up really short runs, just so I can outrun the zombies heaven forbid, but I'm tabling running as a main form of cardio for swimming.

And then there's this ^^^^
    Good advice as well.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I joined a beginner run club, followed their couch to 5k programme and ran 3/4 times a week.
    It probably took at least 6 weeks before I realized I was enjoying some of it. Now I always want to go.

I am slow, I have no expectations. I like to run trails, so will go out exploring and walk when I need to. (Always walk uphill!)

I'd start the C25k again and give it a couple of months to get stronger.
    Maybe try cycling if being outside is the attraction and you still hate it.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love all the advice here!! I am doing couch to 5 k at the moment, almost finished week 2 but really not enjoying the pain I'm getting in my lower legs, mainly shins. I know this is because I am new to running, and I've been doing strength exercises to improve but is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! You’ve offered me some great advice, and I really appreciate it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    melm1903 wrote: »
    Love all the advice here!! I am doing couch to 5 k at the moment, almost finished week 2 but really not enjoying the pain I'm getting in my lower legs, mainly shins. I know this is because I am new to running, and I've been doing strength exercises to improve but is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?

Were you fitted for shoes at a professional running shoe store?
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Happens if your shoes are too heavy, if your route has too many hills for a beginner, if you have an unusual running form: go to a shop and get someone to watch you jog and buy shoes they recommend. Make sure you warm up for long enough as well, start by jogging slower than you need to for the first interval.
    To help avoid lingering niggles, have a bath after each run, stretch after each run.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    And the motivation and enjoyment got much better for me when I hit the stage where I could comfortably jog slowly for twenty mins +. I like listening to podcasts and music, and I really enjoy it most across country and trail runs rather than pavement, so the motivation for my training at the moment is to get to a level of fitness again where I can manage trail runs that go around my villiage. Post baby it's hard to get back to, knowing I used to manage more can be depressing!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The secret to getting through the rough patch when you start running is to keep at it. I have been running for a really long time (since Carter was president) and have had to come back from injury or other obstacles many times. It is hard every time, but what gets me through it is knowing it's going to get easier. I am always impressed when people start running and push through the crummy phase without the experience and knowledge of how it will eventually be.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've been running on a treadmill for the last 8 weeks and I was doing it every morning Monday - Friday after my strength training. I run for 35 minutes with a 5 minute cool down. I was so proud of myself when I ran 5k in 35 minutes and then the next week I improved to 34:30 but then I started struggling. My calf muscles started hurting and it was like I hit a wall and just couldn't improve or even match the pace I was at just the previous week, so last week I stayed off the treadmill instead I did my cardio on an elliptical and a stairclimber. This morning I got back on the treadmill and I made it 5k in 35 minutes and it felt so freaking good!
    I can't speak for anyone else but I know that I need to stop trying to best myself every single day and instead mix up my cardio and sometimes it's ok to not hit that 5k mark... because when it's time to hit that mark again I bet I'll be able to!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Hello,

I just went on my first jog in about a year. I literally could barely do 2.4 km. I used to be doing 3x (thanks C25K) this distance when I was heavier which just shows me being thinner doesn’t necessarily mean you’re fitter, I guess. I used to do 8 km at a slower speed but never got to the point where I enjoyed it. This jog today was very rough. Reminded me to when I couldn’t run even 400 meter at my heaviest. My goal was to go further distance, but I couldn’t keep on. I just want to be physically able to jog some sort of distance without feeling like I’ll keel over. Did anyone here start jogging and how did you come to enjoy it?? How often did you jog? Does it ever become relaxing? My plan is to just keep running 2.4 km 3 times a week until it becomes easier. And strength train 2 times a week. Any tips ?

First off, if it's been a year then you will have 100% lost your running fitness. Your leanness or lack thereof doesn't really have anything to do with physical fitness. I know skinny people who are very unfit...conversely, one of my cycling buddies is overweight but he rides a lot and can ride circles around me. You get and remain fit by engaging in physical fitness.

In regards to running, not everyone is going to come to enjoy it. I tried for a very long time to be a runner and enjoy running and it never came to me...it was never relaxing...never had a runners high, etc. Yes, it became easier with practice, but i never enjoyed it in the least. Conversely, my wife loves to run...always has.

Ironically, when I was trying to be a runner I signed up to do a sprint triathlon with my mom. I had an old clunker of a bike, but that was my favorite part of the tri training. I ultimately was injured a couple weeks out from the race, but from that point on I ditched an exercise I didn't enjoy and started cycling, which I love and have been doing for over 6 years now.

My advice would be to try different things rather than forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy...you'll never stick with anything you don't enjoy.