Best Bread Option?

Hey guys -- new here so don't BBQ me if this has been discussed! LOL ... I really need to get on the keto wagon, or at least low carb ... I saw the post on Avocado Toast and my mouth was watering! What's the best bread for low carbing? I know they are all lousy, processed, etc. and I have tried sprouted breads that you have to keep in the freezer. They are ok for toast but not so much for a simple sandwich. What are you guys doing for the bread fix? Thanks!!! :-)

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,896 Member
    I am a keto'er...I absolutely love cloud bread...you make it with eggs...look up cloud bread on Pinterest.com
  • egbert2016
    egbert2016 Posts: 37 Member
    Avocado toast is yummy! I eat it almost every day. For keto, instead of toast you could make it an avocado lettuce wrap. You could also use half a red/yellow/orange pepper in place of the toast. You won't get the same taste as that Maillard reaction in toast, but the avocado is still delicious.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I have been buying the Natures Own honey wheat lite. 40 calories a slice.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Forget Keto. Just count the calories and move away from the fad diets. And, bread is overrated.If you are gonna waste calories on it, at least make it a real French Baguette from a shop that knows what they are doing, not some low calorie crappola bread.

A couple of months ago I was eating a 100 calorie English muffin when suddenly I realized that I didn't like it nor any of the other low calorie bread that I had been eating. I threw the remaining muffins away and decided I would rather give up bread than to eat any more of it. Until I am able to work in good bread (really good bread) I will just do without.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    I am quite partial to Ezekiel bread (the sesame variety) and it has just 14g of carb per slice which is well within my low carb budget and taste freaking amazing toasted. I'll have it with butter, avocado and a couple eggs! Sometimes you just have to have the real deal 🤤
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I am quite partial to Ezekiel bread (the sesame variety) and it has just 14g of carb per slice which is well within my low carb budget and taste freaking amazing toasted. I'll have it with butter, avocado and a couple eggs! Sometimes you just have to have the real deal 🤤

Ya, I love good regular bread made from flour, but it makes me sleepy, and sprouted bread like Ezekial does not. Sesame is my favorite as well. I think it's fine for sandwiches. Sure, it's not going to be an award-winning sandwich, but it gets the job done.

Alvarado St Bakery's sprouted Flax has only 50 calories per slice, but this brand is not as prevalent as Ezekial where I live.
  • vnylin
    vnylin Posts: 18 Member
    Actual sourdough. The long fermentation breaks the carbs and gluten down and makes a more digestible bread.

• loveyduvyemt
    loveyduvyemt Posts: 58 Member
    I love the Sara Lee white with whole grain bread. Very light and 130 calories for two slices.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    edited May 2019
    What i loved and have made even since giving up keto are Keto crackers.

Trying to find my handwritten copy of the recipe to no avail. I think this recipe looks like what I remember. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers They are really delicious with mashed avocado on top!

Edit: looking again, I actually think this may be the recipe: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/multiseed-keto-crackers because the one I did had BOTH flax and chia seeds and had the garlic/onion powder seasonings. :)
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited May 2019
    Have you discovered almond bread yet?? Its Keto friendly.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Forget Keto. Just count the calories and move away from the fad diets. And, bread is overrated.If you are gonna waste calories on it, at least make it a real French Baguette from a shop that knows what they are doing, not some low calorie crappola bread.

A couple of months ago I was eating a 100 calorie English muffin when suddenly I realized that I didn't like it nor any of the other low calorie bread that I had been eating. I threw the remaining muffins away and decided I would rather give up bread than to eat any more of it. Until I am able to work in good bread (really good bread) I will just do without.

I like the light English muffins, and I don’t taste any difference between the full calorie and light. I always have them in the freezer for my toasted breakfast sandwiches.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I don't do keto, but I love La Banderita Low Carb wraps with 5g net carbs. I use them for wraps, tacos, quesadillas, pseudo pizza, etc... They only have 50 calories each!
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, I love good regular bread made from flour, but it makes me sleepy, and sprouted bread like Ezekial does not. Sesame is my favorite as well. I think it's fine for sandwiches. Sure, it's not going to be an award-winning sandwich, but it gets the job done.

Alvarado St Bakery's sprouted Flax has only 50 calories per slice, but this brand is not as prevalent as Ezekial where I live.

I lived off Alvarado Street Bakery bagels when I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy 😂 sooo good
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    sbw112336 wrote: »
    Hey guys -- new here so don't BBQ me if this has been discussed! LOL ... I really need to get on the keto wagon, or at least low carb ... I saw the post on Avocado Toast and my mouth was watering! What's the best bread for low carbing? I know they are all lousy, processed, etc. and I have tried sprouted breads that you have to keep in the freezer. They are ok for toast but not so much for a simple sandwich. What are you guys doing for the bread fix? Thanks!!! :-)

I'm lower carb and I love Aldis sprouted grains bread. It's called Simple Nature Knock Your Sprouts Off, and 2 slices are 140 calories, 22 carbs, 4g fiber (so 18 net carbs), 6g protein. I usually toast it with the Aldi generic laughing cow cheese spreads.

For sandwiches though I use a low carb wrap, I love La Banderita Carb Counter whole wheat wraps! They're decent sized and one wrap is only 50 calories, 16g carbs, 11g fiber (so 5 net carbs), 4g protien. They have a pleasant taste and they're great for all sorts of things-from regular sandwich type stuff, to egg, meat and veggie burritos, quesadillas, chicken or egg salad wraps etc.

This past weekend I used them a couple times to modify take out food-one meal I bought a turkey club sub at a local restaurant and then removed the sub bun and put everything in a wrap. And then my family wanted pizza one night so I transferred the toppings from two slices onto the wrap and made a pizza wrap :) These things are very versatile and I always have a package on hand.