Am now overweight. Should I lose weight or not?

Options
KrazyKrissyy
KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'6 and this morning just weighed in at 160.1 (picture below). In 2013 I was nearly 200 pounds and ended up losing over 70 pounds by 2015 at an ending weight of around 120. Since 2015, I've been lazier with tracking although I've remained very active and still regularly lifting weights. In 2018, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also use public transportation and walk everywhere I need to go. Over the course of 4 years, I've re-gained a total of 40 pounds and am now back in overweight territory according to BMI. However, my family, boyfriend, and friends say I look great and shouldn't try to lose any weight. Most of my weight gain is in my lower half by the way. Even though I'm now overweight, my waist is STILL 25 inches. I still wear the same x-small tops that I wore at my lowest weight. My hips however have gone from 34 to 44 inches since 2015. What should I do? Current pic of me below.
My profile pic is from 2015 by the way so don't be confused by that.

5'6 and 160.1 pounds
i3slxuqfw3nx.jpeg

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Exactly....
    What do you want or do you want outside immaterial opinions? Its only you who should judge what is looking back at you in the mirror.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    That’s totally up to you. It comes down to what weight you are happy with and can maintain in a healthy way.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Ditto on above. If you're happy with it, you're fine. You might be overweight by BMI...but BMI is not perfect and you're far from serious health risk territory. I too am someone whose "normal " weight was the high end of normal, but I was happy and healthy.

Thanks. That was actually going to be my next question. It's not just my family/friends/etc that's making the decision hard for me. It's whether or not I'm now at certain health risks because of my current weight.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ditto on above. If you're happy with it, you're fine. You might be overweight by BMI...but BMI is not perfect and you're far from serious health risk territory. I too am someone whose "normal " weight was the high end of normal, but I was happy and healthy.

Thanks. That was actually going to be my next question. It's not just my family/friends/etc that's making the decision hard for me. It's whether or not I'm now at certain health risks because of my current weight.

Is that you on the swimsuit picture??
    If so, I would love to look like that..lol
    But 120 is hard to maintain at your height.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »

Is that you on the swimsuit picture??
    If so, I would love to look like that..lol
    But 120 is hard to maintain at your height.

I mentioned in my post that my profile pic isn't recent. I just never changed it lol. I'm 160 now (picture of me standing forward).
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All great advice you've got already so not sure my thoughts could add anything to what's been said.
    You're not 200 lb!! Great achievement.

If it was me, I'd be concerned about the 4 year creep too and annoyed that I hadn't been able to maintain (even the same weight for 2 years in a row would make me happy).
    I think maintaining is sometimes harder than loosing so just go for that goal. Or aim for what the doctors say.. Just 5% of what you weigh now then see if you can maintain that?
    Good luck :)
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You look amazing to me. I like the view outside of your window, it looks like a nice yard.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's up to you not up to us. Never lose weight for others but for yourself. If losing weight would make you feel better you should do it. Some people tell me I don't need to lose weight but I want to lose weight because I want to feel better about myself and I feel better when I'm smaller. As long as you don't starve or do anything extreme then go for it. However it's better to lose weight slowly and make sure it's a lifestyle change. You said you were 120 at your lightest. That is quite small even if your BMI says you're in the normal range. I can imagine that weight would be hard to maintain. BMI isn t very accurate so don't rely on it too much.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you look good (which you do) and feel good at this weight then maintain it, like alot of posters said it's up to how you feel about it,I'm your same height and 120 lb maintenance would kill me plus I carry weight well and at 126(my lowest) I looked sickly,cheers to whatever YOU decide <3
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Why look to strangers for validation? Do what you think is best for you based on your history and your body.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You look fine to me and if your waist is 25 inches then you aren’t unhealthy. If you want to lose a few lbs then go for it but I think 120 lbs at your height is too skinny.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree that the average of 10 lb weight increase each year is the concerning part, not necessarily how you look today. I also agree that 120 is pretty low for your height. Maybe slowly work your way down to a healthier BMI but not all the way to 120, and then work on maintaining so that you don't slowly creep back up to 200.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

That's really going to be a discussion for between your doctor and you. Maybe set up an appointment to go in and talk to your doctor/have health markers assessed and then go from there.