Any other 911 dispatchers?

Options
Hi there everyone. My name is Anna, I'm 29yoa, Army veteran (MOS was 31B - Military Police), mother of 2 (9yoa and 6yoa). I am a 911 dispatcher, dispatching for multiple agencies including police, sheriff, city and county fire agencies and also calltake. I love my job, I adore what I do, however there are specific, unique challenges to weight loss in this profession. I know agencies do things differently wherever you go but these are the challenges I face...

1. Totally sedentary - We have consoles that we can raise up and stand, however our management doesn't allow for under-desk treadmills, or ANY exercise equipment at our desks.
2. Only short breaks - in a "normal" 8 hour shift, we are allowed 2-15 minute and 1-20 minute break.
3. Unexpected overtime - Usually 1-2 times per work week, I am forced to stay for another 4 hours... this causes me to sleep usually 4 hours later than normal, and obviously leaves me less time between shifts to go to the gym. With two kids at home, I also have A TON of chores to get done in my off time, anyways.
4. Stress and Boredom eating - Let me start with this... the job itself does NOT stress me out. However, the constant threat of unforeseen overtime seems to stress me out much more than it should, and the days where its, dare I say, QUIET at work, I want to constantly eat for something to do. I've tried doing other things, however, we cant have any electronics on us, and most websites are blocked... it gets insanely boring, to put it lightly.
5. Ordering Out Delivery- Every...Single...Day.... Someone orders out food. I used to be really bad with this and haven't ordered anything in ages but it is a temptation and God forbid I forget my packed lunch because I WILL order something and I promise it wont be healthy. Even knowing this is going to happen I STILL LET IT!

Anyways, if you're a 911 dispatcher and face these struggles, I feel ya, and ADD ME! Would love to hear some other challenges other dispatchers face throughout the day with weight loss.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kristeen03
    Kristeen03 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi !! I am also a 911 dispatcher in Canada! :)

We work 12 hour shifts -- nights and days -- I have just recently got into the routine of going to the gym on my lunch -- but it is not easy!

Sitting at a desk for 12 hours and taking calls nonstop puts on a lot of stress and exhaustion.

My platoon orders in food every night shift and it is so tempting to not get anything !

I have been doing this job for 3 years and gained 70 lbs! It's crazy. So I am trying to get back in shape - MFP has been keeping me in shape. But I find that the Apple Watch has been doing wonders with keeping me motivated.

I am currently on day 9 of being on track -- hoping to lose a lot before my 30th birthday in October.

• redhairannie
    redhairannie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awesome! We do 8 hour shifts, but often get mandated overtime, most of the time it is assigned last minute, which throws off any plans. Can't even plan during the work week! How long do you get for a lunch break? I've learned to just make the gym non-mandatory and something that I want to do leisurely. I would like to lose as much as I can before I go back to Hawaii next January!!!
  • Kristeen03
    Kristeen03 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh awesome! That gives you lots of time! How many days per week do you typically work ?
  • redhairannie
    Options
    we are on a rotating schedule so 4 on 2 off 4 on 2 off 5 on 2 off. You?
  • hnm11562
    hnm11562 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a 911 dispatcher here in York, PA ! I can honestly say I am was so glad to see that there was a group on here for this! So we have 8-hr shifts, and obviously the country wide overtime issue. We have on the spot mandations and scheduled manadtions. On top of the voluntary overtime we bid on every week for 1 month out on the schedule. Currently I am a calltaker and luckily there is not as much overtime as there is for dispatchers. We also have raising desks and are not allowed to have any exercise equipment on the communication floor. I have always been over weight my entire life and have made the decision to make a life style change and get the gastric weight loss surgery done this year. I am in the process of getting all of my pre-requisits done. When I started this job a little less than a year ago, I thought it would be the same as everywhere else I have worked. I thought that due to me being the 'fat girl' no one was going to accept me and have open arms into their friends group that has already started. I was told in the beginning that when you work you, you very quickly become a family. I didn't believe them. I was wrong. My very first day, we observed on the dispatch floor with no training. We sat and had a packet of things we needed to learn before we went into the classroom and did training. While I was observing that first week, everyone was so nice. They accepted me and was very willing to help out with teaching me things right off the bat. Once I had completed my 3 month classroom training we came out to the floor. Since then, I have noticed how many people are suportive of everyone losing weight around me. With me being 25 yoa, 5'10" and 425 pounds I clearly have been the largest person in the comm center. When I told everyone that I was getting the surgery and that I needed to lose weight, many decided to diet with me. I had mentioned about doing a biggest loser challenge amongst everyone on the dispatch floor. We are in the middle of that. It was 10 dollars to entry the contest, weekly weigh-ins and measurments. The person with the most weight and inches lost gets the grand money total at the end of the challenge. Every one jumped on board! If someone sees someone else who is making unhealthy food choices we hold them accountable and ask them. Some people in the center have android or apple watches and they do fitness challenges among themselves. We are very fortunate enought to have a health care benefit that allows us to pay $30 a month and we get a gym membership car. This card will allow us to walk into any gym facility and use it with out any fees. there is no monthly limit to how many times we can use a gym, and no exlusions to the benefits we get at the gym. As far as the 'quite' moments we will make sure that we have fruit or vegetables or protein bars. If you forget yours there is a very good chance someone else has an extra. The only limitations that we have for food on the floor is that it has to be finger food. So as long as you do not need a utensil to eat it you are good. I have a dehydrator at home and tend to make my own beef jerky, and dehydrated fruits and vegetables. I will make them back them in portions in snack bags and leave them in my locker. When my 'stash' gets low I make some more. That way I always make sure that I have a healthy alternative.
    I hope this helps with some ideas, I know it is long...
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What if you're not a 911 dispatcher but you're a police officer? Can we still add?
  • redhairannie
    Options
    What if you're not a 911 dispatcher but you're a police officer? Can we still add?
    Yes! Certainly! We are all a team! I know you have your struggles with being pretty sedentary on the job, also. I remember back in my MP days, being stuck in my patrol car, and having only access to the shopette on post. Glad to have ya!

• redhairannie
    Options
    HNM11562, I love your ideas! And I am so happy that your center has welcomed you with such open arms, I've heard some horror stories about newbies in dispatch and how they can be treated so badly. What a wonderful place to work! I love my job, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope the same can be said for you. Its great that you're taking steps toward improving your health! Make sure to keep us updated on your progress! Sounds like you have a strong support system at work, too! I always make better decisions at work as far as food goes, I used to be bad with ordering out food with everyone else, but now I make it a point to leave my card at home so I cant even order if I wanted to, and I signed up for Freshly meal delivery. I pay around $60/week and can filter my meal choices to show under 500 calories first, and pick from those, work them into my daily calorie count. I usually have an espresso with 1/2 cup whole milk and 1 tbs of sugar for breakfast (I hate eating in the morning), a small snack (I love the Sargento Sweet Balanced Breaks), then my freshly meal of the day, that usually ties me over for a good 3-4 hours, but I do make it a point to have a snack and that's usually the Kar's Sweet and Salty trail Mix (I used to pay a $1/pack from the vending machine here at work, but now I buy a box of 40 packs form Sam's club for $12... lol), and if I feel hungry after that, I have a Progresso Light soup for dinner. I am not going to lie, I usually don't end up having that soup, and come in under my calories most of the time. Which the app tells me is not healthy, but I am not going to eat just to eat, either. I also drink lots of Diet Mt. Dew, I know its not the best choice but I like it and it keeps me going. What are some of your favorite things to eat?
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am a 911 call taker/dispatcher in Canada (RCMP) with 10 years under my belt. I've worked in 2 different Provinces (Alberta and now Nova Scotia) We also work mostly 3 x 12 hour shifts and 1 x 10 hour shift per block. (2 days, 2 nights then off for 4 days) The juggling act certainly isn't easy but I think I've found a groove. My last day off is "scheduled" for grocery shopping and meal prep for my upcoming week. Believe me, once you've started doing this you'll see how much of a time/stress saver it truly is. I'm also fortunate to have an adequate gym in my building which I use during my lunch break. (we are allowed to eat at our desks) I have 2 dogs who keep me "moving" on days off. My Team also like to do activities together when possible. (example: 5 of us are running a 10k memorial run for the 3 RCMP Members who were killed on duty in 2014)
    As far as keeping busy during down times, we do online courses, knit/crochet, talk about recipes/meal prep on paper, crossword puzzles, journal, workout planning.... we can't have our cell phones or other electronics on the operational floor either.
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    29 years as a law enforcement chaplain here. I also work with the dept and EMS. Been taking care of my dispatachers for a long, long time! They are the best and mine spoil me! I have a counseling practice where i work almost exclusively with law enforcement personnel.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dispatcher, but a corrections officer :)
    We are currently short staffed, and as I'm low on the totem pole as far as hiring date goes... I usually get stuck working overtime. We are on 12 hour shifts, though, so if we get forced it becomes a 16. That, and I live almost an hour away, so it can be hard to find time to be active. I usually bring enough food with me so that if I DO get forced, I don't have to order out.
    Part of the job is super active, if I happen to be on the floor and interacting with inmates that day, but sometimes I get stuck running controls which is pretty much just sitting at a computer all day. So I totally get that.
    Something you could do for snacks during your shift is raw vegetables. They take awhile to eat because of the chewing factor, and there's a lot of volume for little calories. Helps with boredom if you're having a slow shift.
    If you meal prep and bring your own healthy food it is easier not to order. If your coworkers order out, though, it can be tempting. I've gotten good at saying no but I know this is not always so easy for others.