Keto friends - a lot to loose

Options
Hi, I'm one of the ones with a lot to loose - about 110lbs total. I'm trying Keto for the first time as my wedding is in September and I am trying to feel a little better about myself before I walk down the aisle. I realise i'm not going to loose 110lbs in 4 months but I can make a dent. Looking for support, tips and tricks sticking to keto as it is very new! Friends welcome!
Thanks!

Replies

• Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My keys to Keto are
    1) meal prep. I prepare and pack all breakfasts and lunches on Sunday.
    2) track every single bite in My Fitness Pal.
    3) meet the fat macro and stay under the rest of them.
    4) don't beat yourself up if you don't stay 100%.
    5) MOST IMPORTANT: keep it simple.
    A. Shop the perimeter of the store.
    B. Eat real food: meat, fresh or frozen green vegetables, shred your own cheese (if you are doing dairy).
    C. Use olive oil on everything.

You will be surprised how easy it becomes. You can do it.

Edited to add: I started on October 1st at 222. Today I am 159. 63 lbs gone forever. 54 more to vanquish.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I think, on the Keto diet, if you do it right, you could lose 20lbs a month.
    I think my brother and sister in law both eat 1000 calories of protein ( I think) and no sugar.
    they also eat unlimited rabbit food if they get hungry ( Lettuce, celery, cucumbers etc..)
  • jakea1963
    jakea1963 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could a lose a lot in that time. However you have to do the hard work which is really stick to it and not cheat. And best advice I can give you. Is do not eat after dinner. And try not to pick between meals. Once I stopped that - the fat literally fell off me. Good luck.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP - Despite the name, I am a keto-er. I would really encourage you to do a lot of reading on keto and find a version of it that appeals to you. Some count calories, some don't (I do !). Find the veggies you like and max out on those bad boys every single day within your carb count which you set for yourself. If you have never keto'd before, a wind-down week or two may ease the start (perhaps see it as an investment to the longer term) because going cold turkey can be rubbish (sometimes referred to as keto flu). There is lots of bad press about keto - to be clear, once past the first adjustment you should not be feeling icky. @Twiley510 advice is good - I would also add in some walking every day and drink a lot of tap water.

Good luck and I am sure you will look gorgeous on the big day no matter what your weight is!!
  • BeingWitchy2
    BeingWitchy2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stick to mostly Keto but also watch my portion control and only eating when hungry. I have learned to listen to my body's que's as when to eat. I don't worry to much about getting into ketosis. I do splurge once in awhile but only at one meal, still not going over to bad with carbs. I am not a bread eater due to being gluten intolerant so that really helps out alot when it does come to that splurge. Good luck and you will do just fine, learn what works for your body and Keto will come easy for you.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You could lose quite a bit in 4 months on keto if you really work at it. I'm trying to lose 40 pounds on keto and finding success. Once you get past the initial sugar cravings, it really is a wonderful meal plan. You feel full and satiated which never seems to happen on other food plans for me. There aren't too many foods that you can't keto-fy. Real butter, EVOO, and coconut oil will be your friends.
  • mandalynn723
    mandalynn723 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi there! today is the start of my second week on Keto. last week wasnt perfect but i feel great about it and managed to lose 4lbs! so excited about this way of eating to get me where i'd like to be. ideally i would love to lose about about 80lbs all together. yikes that seems like alot! but i think if we can stick to our guns we both can manage to reach our goals!!! ive found keeping it simple to be the key for me as well, but i get board so i mix up my simple. if that makes sense :wink:
  • eilrahcylime
    eilrahcylime Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help - it feels like a lot to get your head round at first! My MFP diary is telling me I am eating too much protein - is this something to worry about. It's looking like I'm having a total of 8g net carbs today - really hope I am working this out right!
    I'm calorie counting as well - 1,390 cals a day - is that the right thing to do?