Is it ok to go over sugar???

Options
Nearly everyday I go over sugar. Mines is set to 25grams. Most of my sugars are from fruits like bananas, berries, apples etc. Is this alright??? My goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't even have to track it unless you choose to.
    I swapped it out for tracking fibre which personally was more interesting/useful.

Me too. I replaced the sugar with fiber as soon as I realized I could do it. I might get curious from time to time on some aspects like potassium but I can't remember ever once looking at sugar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyday I go over sugar. Mines is set to 25grams. Most of my sugars are from fruits like bananas, berries, apples etc. Is this alright??? My goal is to lose weight.

25g is a pretty low goal, how did you come up with that?

I don't really look at sugar, as long as my protein, fat, and fiber are at or above goal and I stick to my calories, I'm good.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Femilaxx1xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! I’m happy that sugar percentage doesn’t matter. Xx
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! I’m happy that sugar percentage doesn’t matter. Xx

Makes life a little sweeter (pun intended).
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    you have manually adjusted it to be SUPER low. is there a reason for this? did you doctor see something to be concerned about?

So yes, totally ok to go over when you have manually changed it to be that low unless you have a health issue being monitored by a doctor/registered dietician.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I go over sugar every day. I don't pay any attention to it. I've lost 80 pounds and been in maintenance for over a year. I really only look at protein, fiber and iron. And of those I really only worry about protein.

I have to wonder why this got flagged as abuse?
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't even have to track it unless you choose to.
    I swapped it out for tracking fibre which personally was more interesting/useful.

Yup, me, too.

Me three! Swapped for fiber.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar every day. I don't pay any attention to it. I've lost 80 pounds and been in maintenance for over a year. I really only look at protein, fiber and iron. And of those I really only worry about protein.

Don't take it personally, there has been a lot of inappropriate flagging going on here lately. :)

Thanks! I get that sometimes people just randomly "woo" things. But I thought a flag was unnecessary. Especially since I thought my answer was quite similar to many other answers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options

Don't take it personally, there has been a lot of inappropriate flagging going on here lately. :)

Thanks! I get that sometimes people just randomly "woo" things. But I thought a flag was unnecessary. Especially since I thought my answer was quite similar to many other answers.

Not sure, but I think some of the woo-stalkers (people who flag certain disliked folks' posts every time they see them) have decided that woo-ing isn't effective enough, so have started flagging instead. Unlikely to have much effect on the flagged posts or posters.

Back on topic:

OP, I went over the MFP default sugar goal every single day while losing 50ish pounds in less than a year, while most days the only added sugar I ate was some concentrated fruit juice well down the ingredient list in one daily 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. The rest was from whole fruit, and no-sugar-added dairy products. Like so many who've posted on this thread, I stopped tracking sugar, and started tracking fiber instead.

Eating so much added sugar that it drives necessary nutrition out of ones eating in order to hit a sensible calorie goal . . . that would be suboptimal. Or, hitting nutritional goals but eating so much added sugar one goes over a sensible calorie goal . . . also suboptimal. Absent medical reasons to limit sugar, and when getting reasonable overall nutrition at a sensible calorie level, sugar isn't worth attention, let alone stress or worry.