Chinese food, can it be healthy?

Options
if so, post your recipes! I LOVE chinese food, but i'm not very aware of all their food so i would appreciate you sharing some? :) x

Replies

• camille97
    Options
    2 crab rangoons = 130 calories.

That's AMAZING.
  • mapenrod
    mapenrod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a chicken & brocc that is amazing & very low cal... U can have rice if u want or non @ all..
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is actually pretty decent. It can be prepared with lower calorie/fat ingredients, are usually high in lean meats and veggies. Chicken Stir Fry is my favorite. You've got chicken breast strips (neither breaded nor fried), tons of veggies, and you can put it on a bed of brown/long grain wild rice. It's very filling and satisfying, as well as tasty.
  • Alexa1471
    Options
    I love chinese food too!! I use some stir fry sauces and mix noodles in. I'm having Hoi Sin Chicken tonight and it works out around 450 cals
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, grilled shrimp in a sweet & sour sauce. 400ish calories.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I usually do mixed veggies with shrimp and steamed rice....that's the best I can find at my local spot :-)
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    if so, post your recipes! I LOVE chinese food, but i'm not very aware of all their food so i would appreciate you sharing some? :) x

It's the way it's cooked when it comes to Chinese. the foods are not so bad it's the frying and sauces in them. Poaching is used in Chinese alot and when I eat Chinese I try and look for that.
  • kjphipps
    kjphipps Posts: 14
    Options
    Stir fries if made right...are very low cal and good for you . Just remember to use brown rice if you need that rice fix.... better for you and lower in calories. White rice is nothing good... and is all carbs!!!!! Veggies and lean meats are the key to a great stir fry!!!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I use marinades like orange ginger (or is that my body scrub... hmm) and sesame seed sauces to marinate a nice salmon fillet - (only a few minutes needed) then I drop the fillets into a hot cast iron skillet with a little mist of oil, and cook for about three minutes and turn them over. If you like your fish medium or well done - put the skillet into a hot over (350-400) for about ten minutes after you flip them - pan roasted!

I serve this with a little brown rice and maybe some stir fried veggies.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Made at home? Yes, maybe, I guess. Ordering out? Heavens, no...not likely.

Like the guy in front of me said: it's not so much the core ingredients (meats and veggies, even rice) as it is the sauces & manner of cooking (I.E. fried in oil)...very high in sodium and/or sugar across the board, high calorie sauces.

I havent actually figured out how to make any actual chinese stir fry that is both low cal AND ... well, resembles chinese (or the American version of it) food. Most of my post-diet attempts at chinese cooking have been either spicy as hell, or just bland.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a good choice with Chinese. Everytime I eat it I seem to gain a couple pounds. I wonder if drinking extra water would help to "wash" it through? Anyone else run into this problem with Chinese?
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have found that the sodium is a killer no matter what you choose! I love it too, but have opted to eliminate the fast food chinese, because most of the items I like are fried and then refried, hence the sweet and sour anything, the generals chicken, etc etc.....

When I win the lottery, perhaps I will learn to cook some of the items myself in a more healthy less sodium contained way.....
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thank youuuuu :)
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Chinese is the one takeout/fast food that I am having a hard time letting go of. I just adore it. I am making a homemade shrimp lo mein tonight that is pretty decent but not the same.
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    The Company's Coming cookbook series has a great Asian cookbook with loads of wonderful low calorie/fat Chinese recipes. They are availabe in most Supermarkets here in Canada.
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you make your own I suppose.

I can't eat takeout chinese anymore.. I'll crave it so bad and take one or two bites and just feel sick. Something about chinese that just fills me up really fast.. also could be that I have a phobia of food touching (unless I purposely make them touch).. so it's such a b*tch to pick apart everything so it doesn't touch.

I'll chow down on a shrimp eggroll though.. I've never even wanted to know the calories in that lol
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    NO, THINK OF IT AS A TREAT

ITS BAD NEWS FOR YOU IN CALORIES
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you go out, get steamed veggies instead of rice and noodles, and you can get brocoli and beef and chicken with strinbg beans(all from panda express, i'm sure other places will have something similar) and it will equal to 360 cals....they have chicken and mushrooms which will take off 30 calories giving yyou a delicious dinner for 330 calories. you can even add egg flower soup or sring roll for around 80 cals. If you are going to eat out, make sure you don't get the stuff battered and deep friend (orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken) and stick with veggies veggies and more veggies, and grilled foods. A lot of chinese buffets have a sushi section or a fish section which would be a good choice.