Does Vitamin water

Options
Does Vitamin water Zero count towards your daily water intake?
Lately ive had a hard time getting in the water i need, so i bought some zero calorie vitamin waters.
Same thing as drinking water?

Replies

• liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't count it. That's just me though. It does have some carbs, which real water doesn't.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    hmm. i guess i would count it as water. i know it has carbs in it, but it IS water. so maybe just add in the carbs in your diary?
  • jennlaurin80
    Options
    I didnt even notice it had carbs. It has 4 carbs...they should call it Vitamin Water 4
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I didnt even notice it had carbs. It has 4 carbs...they should call it Vitamin Water 4

haha, right.

I love the stuff though!!
  • samanthahobson
    Options
    I woudn't count it.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Yes it is still a fluid, anything you drink is a fluid so should count towards your fluid intake for the day, just log the calories as well as counting it towards your fluid intake.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Yes it is still a fluid, anything you drink is a fluid so should count towards your fluid intake for the day, just log the calories as well as counting it towards your fluid intake.

No. Just no. Fluid =/= equal water.

Caffeine, gatorade, things with sodium don't have the same effect on the body as water.

I don't drink Vitamin water or know much about it, but I just had to jump in and red flag the above.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

Caffeine, gatorade, things with sodium don't have the same effect on the body as water.

I don't drink Vitamin water or know much about it, but I just had to jump in and red flag the above.

^^^^This
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd do as the above, but seriously... why are you paying the manufacturer for tap water and some added chemicals when it comes free out of the tap!!! :huh:

Never understood why folk take vitamin supplements* wehen we regularly get what we need from a balanced diet.:happy:

I used to take a multivit every morning along with garlic & cod-liver oil capsule and a Yakult.... Never felt a blind bit of benefit and probably just wasted a lot of dosh along the way. :indifferent:

*(unless under advice from physician or medical practitioner)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    It is water. That has stuff in it. Therefore is no longer water.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

^^^^This

Not really, actually.

Your body doesn't care what form it takes, it cares about the components in the solution. A favorite example of mine is koolaid. People say it shouldn't count as water intake. So suppose you drink a cup of water, and then choke down the packet of koolaid mix a minute later. You would still count the water as water intake, right? So why does combining the two suddenly change it from being water?

It doesn't.
    It just becomes a solution of both parts. The water part doesn't stop being water, the koolaid part doesn't stop being koolaid. They're just mixed together really well. The same goes for coffee, tea, etc. So yes, you can count them all as water.

As for caffeine, there is research on both sides of that debate. Some say it acts as a diuretic (so it should "clear you out" and dehydrate you), some say it only acts like taking in any other matter (ie it takes up space, so by taking it in to your body, something else will need to come out). Neither side has provided really 100% reliable research so the court is out on that one.

But yes, you can count them all as water so long as the primary ingredient is water.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I'd do as the above, but seriously... why are you paying the manufacturer for tap water and some added chemicals when it comes free out of the tap!!! :huh:

because tap water has teeny tiny pieces of toilet paper and such floating in it. Yum!
  • kyle4jem
    Options

because tap water has teeny tiny pieces of toilet paper and such floating in it. Yum!

Also, that stuff rusts pipes!

And TP... ewww I just threw up in mouth. I need a drink of water... oh god, I just threw up again....
    ROFL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bry_all01
    Options

Also, that stuff rusts pipes!

And TP... ewww I just threw up in mouth. I need a drink of water... oh god, I just threw up again....

My husband tells me that all the time. You should hear what he has to say about milk. Its no wonder I'm anorexic.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I think the whole debate about does a glass of water count as water if I add some sugar free cordial to it, is ridiculous, if people want to go to this extreme then you might as well figure out how much water the food you eat contains and count that towards your intake. It doesn't have to be pure water to count towards your fluid intake!
  • kyle4jem
    Options
    Remind me not to come to TX :sick:

Thankfully UK water is put through a stringent filtration process before it's even passed fit for hydrants never mind the mains :happy: :drinker:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    via google - Is vitamin water a healthier choice than plain water?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Vitamin water is fortified with various vitamins and other additives, and some include sweeteners that add calories. If you're eating a balanced diet or taking a multivitamin, you won't likely benefit from drinking vitamin water. If you're trying to lose weight, the calories in vitamin water will only work against you. As always, it's important to check the label for ingredients. Remember, fruits, vegetables and other whole foods are the best sources of vitamins and minerals. And it's tough to beat plain water as a healthy, no-calorie drink. If you don't care for plain water, try sparkling water or a squirt of lemon or cranberry juice in your water.
  • starracer23
    Options
    via google - The Truth About Vitamin Water

This may be a touchy subject because I know how many avid Vitamin Water drinkers are out there, especially in our increasingly health-conscious (but misinformed) society. However, it's time to face the facts!

Vitamin Water gives the illusion of a healthy, hydrating, and rejuvenating miracle elixir. The bottles are beautiful, colorful, and the text on them is snappy and clever. They have empowering flavor names like "endurance," "energy," "essential," and "focus." There is no question that there is some genius marketing at hand.
  • starracer23
    Options

You don't read good, do you? She asked abotu Vitamin Water ZERO. :-P

my false eye fell out and i didn't see that part....sheeeeeeeeeeet!
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Remind me not to come to TX :sick:

Thankfully UK water is put through a stringent filtration process before it's even passed fit for hydrants never mind the mains :happy: :drinker:

If you do come to Texas or plenty of other states here in the US, I would suggest bottled water. Or beer.