Yoga Suggestions

Options
I have never done yoga and heard its something that would help. Recommendations?

Replies

• kjphipps
    kjphipps Posts: 14
    Options
    I have jillian's yoga and bob's and love them!!!!!! jillians is actually a great workout!!!!!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian's too. It has my muscles SHAKING by the end. LOVE it! :)
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the P90X yoga it is kind of long(1hr30min) but you burn some calories!
  • joiinh a local class helps too. there are normally flyers around EVERYWHERE, I seriously reccommend going to one!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Definitely go to a local studio. I practice Forest yoga and LOVE it :) It's always good to have a teacher there when you start so you know you're doing the positions correctly!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    I have gone to yoga for a couple years, tried different types and love it. One thing I learned is go only as far into a move that is comfortable...practice breathing, listen to your body and enjoy yourself cause it is all about you!:flowerforyou:
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Go to a yoga studio or a yoga class at a gym! Really, it's a much better experience than doing it to a DVD or YouTube video in my opinion.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bob Harper's weight loss yoga. REALLY helps w/ my flexibility. Plus there's all different body types/abilities, and there are 3 different levels/workouts.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do yoga everyday. I agree go to a class a few times to be sure you are getting the poses correctly. After that there are a ton of dvd's out there as well as many sites online to help you add new poses. I do as much as my body lets me. At the end of a workout I spend just a few minutes meditating on positive things, healthy, strong, flexible, happy.... you know all the things you want to be on a daily basis. I always finish feeling like I invested that time in me. Sending you healthy thoughts.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a local studio. I practice Forest yoga and LOVE it :) It's always good to have a teacher there when you start so you know you're doing the positions correctly!

Forest yoga? I've tried several and love them all, but never heard of this one Describe? Thanks!

Like the others - recommend taking a live class at your local Y or fitness center. It is a great way to get started out right. Bad form can be corrected easily when you are new and will avoid injuries, Enjoy!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i suggest going to a class and telling the instructor right away that you are new to yoga that way he/she can watch out for you during class to make sure you have proper form. Its tough, but there are modifications to accommodate anyone!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I recommend a studio, at least until you know how to do the poses correctly for maximum benefit. I do hot yoga and I love it.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options

Forest yoga? I've tried several and love them all, but never heard of this one Describe? Thanks!

Like the others - recommend taking a live class at your local Y or fitness center. It is a great way to get started out right. Bad form can be corrected easily when you are new and will avoid injuries, Enjoy!

http://www.forrestyoga.com/

That's the website :) I find that it is really about being at home in your body, connecting the mental and physical. I also found that we really focus on the neck and core. I HIGHLY recommend it!!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm a beginner too. I've never been to a class, but I do really like Jillian's yoga. Good workout, you'll feel the burn, but enjoy it too.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Like many of the other posters above, go to a local studio and take a class. Most offer beginner or gentle classes where the instructors offer more instruction on the basic poses so that you can learn correct form.

Anyone can do yoga...that is what I love about it. There are always modifications for poses if you cannot do them. Listen to your body, concentrate on your breathing and being in the moment, and enjoy!