How many of you go to a gym?

Options

Replies

• mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just tell him "it would make me happy". Any man worth his salt shouldn't say "no" when his woman says that!

Yeah I usually get my way with him..so I was shocked when he said no to it. It would've been different if it was expensive... It might be we will see
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    Options
    I pay 19.99 a month and I think thats cheap. I really focus on the treadmill and the bike. Some gyms are meat markets..mines not. I did have to sign a one year contract, thats how most work where I live. I am sorry that your husband wont let you join. I would want my mate to trust me and to support me in getting healthy. It must hard to have that challange.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym and I love it. lots of gyms you can now get a month by month contract so you dont have to sign up for a full year if you dont like it. i find it quite addictive now, and a few months ago I didnt think i'd be able to stick with it.

I say go for it, and for 12.99, its not expensive so see how it works for u
  • CarlieGareth
    Options
    I go to the gym, I was intimidated at first by the people who were in better shape, But at the end of the day, everyone visists the Gym to improve themselfs, Sometimes it can be hard to motivate yourself to go, especially in the beggning but once a routine is set and you see results from your efforts and have a smile on your face knowing you made the right choice :-) as regards to your husband, encourage him to join you? he may be insecure or have a low self esteam and these may be the reasons for his cynical view of the gym, He is correct about some aspects but the negative things he mensioned only happen if you allow it, get ya self down the road and enjoy the exercise and the feeling you get when you walk out head held high, good luck :)
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I really want to go to this gym right down the street from me. Its 24 hrs and its 12.99 a month.

I mentioned it to the fiancee.. He said no...

Here are his reasons..

He thinks they are a waste of money.. Usually people pay for a gym membership and never go
    He said he doesn't want guys harrassing me
    I'm thinking there might be a little low self esteem there too...maybe he thinks i'll meet someone there.. who knows

I wanna go there mainly for the treadmill. I see how much you all burn on those...

Do you make your own money? Pay for yourself. $12.99 a month for a gym is cheap. Mines $38 and it's not 24 hour.

You're going to be more inclined to pay and go if it's auto-pay. Try it out on a pay as you go basis for the first month or two. See how you do. If you don't go at least 3/4 of the time, stop paying.

Guys in my gym don't bother the girls in the gym, and so on. That's a ****ty reason.

There are other benefits to going to a gym, seems like he's trying to hold you back.

When I started, I figured I'd do it for a week or two - now, I'm up at 5:30 to be at the gym before work and going after work. I do skip some nights each week but I more than make up for it by riding my bike, minimum of 12 hours.

I've also met some pretty cool people at the gym as well.

No I don't have a job right now. so he'd be paying for it..
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use my college gym so its like 30 bucks a semester but I go at like 7am before class when all the old farts go....sure they stare but its probably cuz Im disgustingly sweaty cuz I always make sure I wear a grey t shirt to show it off....I found once I got into a routine I felt guilty when I didnt go....and I started using the other equipment and trying the free classes and I actually enjoyed it in my routine! Gave me a reason to get up early and start my day...I can say I never put on the freshman 15
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I GO!!! another vote for >>>>PLANET FITNESS<<<< i pay $22 (that is tax included) a month for unlimited gym usage, any where in the country (not like i travel) unlimited usage of their massage chairs, unlimited usage of tanning beds (state law in place - in tx once every 24hrs), 50% off drinks! it's an awesome deal....or you can pay $12 (tax included) for just the gym membership, no extras.
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That is a really good price!! There are more benefits to going to the gym than not... you have traniers and staff there to help you if needed, the classes at 24 hr are great and more equipment to help you out as you progress.... to me it would def. be worth it... I go 5-6x/wk and do not get harassed b/c when you are serious, people leave you alone.... I am the one harassing the dudes...lol

PLUS... I have met a couple of girls there that have now turned into my really good friends and it's motivation for me to see others workout... your hubby is crazy and needs to calm down!!

:)
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I go every morning and other than the desk guy and security guard saying good morning, no one talks to me. Once I have my ear phones in, I'm in my own little world.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I go every morning and other than the desk guy and security guard saying good morning, no one talks to me. Once I have my ear phones in, I'm in my own little world.

Amazingly, I still have people try to talk to me on occasion with headphones in... :( fail
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym, and it is well worth every penny spent (and mine is WAY more than 12.99 a month....wish i had that deal) The getting hit on thing is just an excuse.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i go to 24hr fitness. let me say when i first got my membership i went maybe once or twice a week at most.i my job pays partial gym memberships based on usage and currenlty they pay half my gym bill and i end up paying 16.99 per month for an all access pass. i go 4 times a week and take classes. it's so worth it.
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your husband is partly right, those are facts for SOME of the people who try the gym, however, just as many people stick with it without issue, or else the entire "gym" idea would go down the drain.

For $13 a month, what do you stand to lose (besides weight). I'll spend that in a couple days at Starbucks! I say you should do it!

exactly, thats reallyyy cheap. alot of gym memberships are like 50-60 a month. i joined one with a friend. i hadnt worked out in two years at that point and it stopped being my thing. now i go 5 days a week. lol im cheap maybe and also i go when im bored
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Amazingly, I still have people try to talk to me on occasion with headphones in... :( fail

same haha. in fact, all the time
    me and my friend are refining our "offended/angry look" that says "how dare you bother me. i cant fathom why you feel the need to speak to me, you inconvenience" haha it scares ppl without words
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    $13 to go for a walk???

Walk to the gym, jog back or jog there and walk back. Take your partner with you and spend your £13 on some stretch bands or a yoga DVD etc.

Or why not both of you join?
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    my husband told me when i mentioned a gym membership that if i promise to go, then i can have it. a month into it, he started going with me and now her has one too. i work out at home and the gym. and i wish i paid $13/month! we pay $82/month. but ours includes tanning and child care. but if you'll actually go, i think its a great idea. as far as guys hitting on you....i've had one guy from my gym hit on me. and even then he waited until he spotted me in walmart by myself. lol. oooh. plus some gyms offer free personal training sessions when you sign up.
  • JMcElrath23
    JMcElrath23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and LOVE it! At my gym I take the kids they have childcare and there own gym too! Its wonderful, the best investment I ever made. I use to go to the gym that didnt have childcare and I did use it but this past year it was harder to find sitter's for the kids so I switched gyms. Im down 35 lbs and super happy! For $13 its not bad but if u have kids id try to involve them. Then maybe your hubby wont mind so much. I havent noticed anyone hitting on ppl. typically everyone wears ipods and dont talk. It happens im sure but no worries.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i hope your husband isn't trying to subliminally sabotage you and your efforts!

I go to the gym and it is my SAVIOUR! I am a mum of 2 small pre-school aged kids, and i just couldn't get the exercise in with them hanging around properly. Now, I go to the gym every week day (most weeks 5x) and it is a godsent. It gives me and hour or 90 minutes for myself, which saves my sanity. and also the exercise.

It's the best thing I've done. i'm committed to it, and even though the last 2 months i've been on a hell of a plateau, i'm still going to the gym, and I won't stop. i now rely on it as me time. i can watch the TV screens while i do my cardio, or i can listen to my ipod while i do cardio. I have a friend that I meet there on tuesdays to workout and chat with. i've gotten to know a few of the regulars that do the same classes as me, so that's a nice, adult, human thing to do when your whole life revolves around children.

I love the gym! I decided this year i was putting me back at the top of my priority list, and that's that. it was the best thing i've done for myself since having kids. The men that go there don't harrass me, they don't take any notice of me (probably because I'm not wearing skimy little outfits). Ipods are great for ignoring people, just stick your earplugs in and ignore away.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR HUBBY

YOU CAN WALK OR BUY WORKOUT DVDS

AS LONG AS HE SUPPORTS YOUR WEIGHT LOSS THEN I WOULD SAY BUMP THE GYM

ITS BETTER TO HAVE A PEACEFUL HOUSEHOLD THEN TO LISTEN TO ALL THESE PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW YOU

GOOD LUCK

(IF YOUR HUBBY DOESNT SUPPORT YOUR WEIGHT LOSS THEN SCREW HIM DO WHAT YOU WANT)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Your BF is a acting like a tool.
    Gyms are great and $12.99 per month is fantastic.
    I pay $45 for NYSC and that's half of what most people pay.