My Weight is Finally Catching Up to Me

Options
ariamythe
ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
I am not new to the MFP app or this community. I'm sure if you searched back about 5 years, you'd find posts from me indicating a successful period of weight control. At one point, I knew what I was doing!

But the last two years have been horrible on my weight. I worked a full-time retail job for two years, one that threw off any semblance of a regular meal schedule and too often left me driving home at 9 o'clock at night, facing down an 8AM opening shift, not having eaten all day, and figuring it would be quicker to stop at my favorite Thai place rather than go home and cook something. And then, six months ago, I moved from that job to a phone support job -- one which left me completely sedentary most of the day, and unable (or maybe unwilling) to break the eating habits I'd developed the past two years. I am approaching my mid-40s, and I am the heaviest I have ever been.

And now my weight is starting to affect my health for the first time in my life. In addition to hitting borderline metabolic levels that indicate pre-diabetes, I have developed veinous insufficiency -- my feet are swelling with blood because the rest of my body is too large and there's not enough blood pressure to push the blood back up my legs. I am literally degrading because of my weight.

This scares the *kitten* out of me! So I'm back for one more go-around, hopefully the last time I have to be "Getting Started" in this lifetime. Wish me luck ...

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You have done this before and you can do it again! Good luck!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You’ve totally got this. You’ve done it before so you can do it again. Just take your time and make small changes, make new habits but don’t try to conquer the world in one day. Be kind to yourself and give your body time, allow yourself little slip ups and blips along the way. Indeed expect them.
    Just start by logging as best you can to begin with, then you’ll have a good idea of what you ARE eating and can begin to see where to make little changes to save calories here and there or to fit in a quick 20min walk to bump up your HR.

Enjoy feeling better about yourself and take time to appreciate how far you’ve come once you begin to achieve little milestones :)
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP and well done for not ignoring the warning signs. I was in your position with age and health markers in Feb when I started changing my ways in earnest - age hasnt changed (boooo) but I am 40lbs down and am sure you will be soon enough ! If you want to do 'friends', ping me. Wishing you good health OP !