Any suggestions for lazy dinner after work

2»

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    get an airfryer, put everything in it, eat. so quick and yummy, you don't need oil. or you can premake your dinner on the weekends and just warm it up. I do that for tacos a lot
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Take a deep breath,keep a good thought about it’s nice to be home.

There is always cereal if that fits,but I like to make hamburgers .....eat one,freeze the rest.Do the same with salmon patties.Add a rotisserie chicken off the bone & frozen in zip lock bags, there you go,3 different proteins to choose from.

You can pop a bag of frozen steam cook veggies in microwave that will be done before you can change. Baked potato is good with chicken,cheese & salsa. Make soup,there are lots of fast,easy recipes on line.Rice & pasta can be reheated.Chef salads can be super easy........make the base then add meat etc when you are ready to eat.
  • _faedreamer
    _faedreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Get yourself an instant pot, you can whip up a delicious, hearty home cooked meal in less than half an hour. It's changed the way I live, I swear. No excuses for ordering crap when I can make amazing food so quickly and easily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    In our house we prepare the bulk of our meals over the weekend and just heat and serve during the week, or we use the crock pot to cook our food through the day while we are at work. Then you can make pretty much whatever meals fit withing your definition of healthy.

Ya, this is what I did when I worked long hours outside the home.

Now I work from home so there is no drive through between work and home ;)

If I don't feel much like cooking I have something revolving around eggs, which I can do on autopilot.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Big salad.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Easy recipe......any white bean will do. Can add fresh spinach if you like.

Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup
    Prep Time
    5 mins
    Cook Time
    15 mins
    Total Time
    20 mins

Course: Soup
    Servings: 4 people
    Author: Barbara
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    1/4 cup flour
    1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
    1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
    1/2 lb. ground pork sausage cooked and drained
    1 15.5 oz. can undrained white beans
    Salt and Pepper
    Instructions
    Melt butter in medium saucepan.
    Add onion and garlic; cook for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring occasionally or until onion is tender.
    Stir in flour.
    Slowly add the evaporated milk and chicken broth while stirring constantly.
    Once the mixture comes to a complete boil, add sausage and beans.
    Heat through, and season with salt and pepper.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2019
    Quick sandwich with deli meat and veggies like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion -whatever you might put on a sub can be on a regular sandwich too. Quick toast the bread. Little mayo or plain Greek yogurt, little salt, oregano, basil, splash balsamic vinegar, etc

I make quick chicken or tuna salad a lot either for a sandwich or on top of lettuce variety. Chicken or tuna, weighed portion plain Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, diced onion, diced cucumber or pickle, sometimes diced fresh jalapeno, sometimes a little mustard. I'm allergic to celery, but that's a good crunchy item to add for a satisfying texture also. You can use boiled eggs in it or instead of the meat too. Egg salad doesn't have to be boring 😁

You could also precook some burger patties of your choice and individually freeze them. Pop one in the microwave then assemble your own burger according to your diet needs. Same with chopped chicken or other meats. I find having precooked and frozen portions of meat keeps me out of the drive thru the most.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Steak - chuck it on the grill - flip , flip 2min on each side - bon appetit :)
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I meal prep so I don't typically have this problem. But if I'm not feeling like eating what's in my fridge and I want something quick and easy, my go to is usually soup. Its so easy to just pop it in the microwave. And there are so many flavors to choose from.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I too LOVE the frozen steamers- there are so many veggies to choose from. Some with sauces which have more sodium- but plenty with just the veggies- then you can mix other veggies or a startch such as potoates(nuke it) or instant rice etc- then add the protein- can be beans or deli meat or roasted chicken or tuna packets etc- you get the idea. Quick easy and yummy- esp. based on which sauces you use to "liven" the recipe up
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Egg and beans on toast followed by jelly, tinned fruit and squirty cream.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You inspired me to pull together a pin that includes the top recipes I used when time and money were a premium.

https://pin.it/ykxbs4zrae55w6

All can be made in thirty minutes or be prepped to be ready when you get home.

Pick up a bag salad or have frozen veggies ready in your freezer to go with.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Egg on toast, beans on toast, sardines on toast with a little bit of cheese melted over the top

If you are eating rice, get a microwave pouch, fry up some chopped onions, chopped peppers, loads of garlic, frozen peas, chuck it all in with the cooked rice, stir in the tuna, very nice. I also like to add in some curry spices during the frying stage so you dont get that awful raw spice effect and then you have a sort of kedgeree, particularly if you add a boiled egg to it. I love that dish but am not eating rice any more (that often)
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Some foods I make are

Egg salad sandwich with lettuce or bean sprout or tomato (not loads of mayo) on high fiber bread.

Or I make chicken thighs (cut up and speed cook) and veg with microwave rice.

Also high fiber low sugar pancake mix with some fruit and Pb is very quick.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Definitely breakfast for dinner! A couple of scrambled eggs with cheese and avocado on toast :)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Cereal and milk.
    Scrambled eggs and toast.
    A sammich.
  • Joie_de_vivre17
    Joie_de_vivre17 Posts: 23 Member
    These are great! I like making a quick chili - ground beef, beans and some seasoning
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    grilled cheese (or you can put a a few slices of ham and turkey in the sandwich as you're grilling it (takes about 3-4 minutes) and a can of tomato or your favorite canned soup and some grapes or fruit for dessert.

Tuna/egg salad: mix some tuna, hard boiled egg, chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, mixed with mayo, mustard and pickle relish and topped off with some paprika ( takes less than 10 minutes)...you can eat it with ritz crackers or your favorite cracker, or on a croissan or bread or alone. Have some grapes or fruit with it and done.

large bowl baby spinach, walnuts, bacon, apples, grapes (and your favorite salad dressing) with a bowl of canned soup (less than 10 minutes)

Potato surprise: microwave some hash browns then fry or boil some polish sausage or smoked sausage/sautee mix it in the skillet you cooked the sausage in add some some garlic, onion, bell pepper and various spices into the mix and if you want some scrambled or over medium egg and some raisin toast w/butter and BAM! You got some yummy eating in 10 minutes or less.

Good ole cereal...a big bowl of Trader Joe's Raisin brand, a banana, some strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and your favorite milk ( I like vanilla rice milk) done in less than five minutes.