Intermittent Fasting vs. 6 Small Meals per day

Options
rugare
rugare Posts: 25 Member
Here is a question for you: Let's say you are trying to cut body fat percentage. (Not necessarily lose weight on the scale.) Which leads to better results? Intermittent Fasting vs. 6 Smaller Meals per day (timed nutrition throughout the day)

Assuming the following:
-Total caloric intake remains the same regardless of when you eat.
- Macro ratio remains the same regardless of when you eat.

I keep reading conflicting information about which leads to greater results. Some sources say that intermittent fasting basically kills your metabolism. And some sources say that ingesting protein after a weight workout is very important for building/maintaining muscle while doing a "cut".

However, I find it MUCH easier to stick to my calorie and macro goals when I do intermittent fasting. I am constantly thinking about food when I am eating smaller meals more frequently and never feel satisfied. But am I destroying my metabolism or throwing my body into starvation mode? What does the research say?

Replies

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    IF can work great. It doesn't work for me. I have a very sensitive system and it's too stressful for my body.
    I like to graze. I am losing weight and I feel good.
    That's the best method - the one that works and you feel good.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Those two things are identical in results assuming you have that deficit and stick to them.

Whichever is most comfortable for you will work best.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I’m doing 16-17 hr IF because it’s the only way I can teach myself self discipline that I can’t eat all day.
  • MarcinTamborski
    MarcinTamborski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the forum, and using MFP for few months now consecutively, I wanted to try the IF idea, therefore I have a question, is there a way to track feeding/fasting time in MFP or alternatively do you know if MFP will introduce a feature allowing to track the IF, ex. time between last meal recorded for a given day (or diary finished) and first meal recorded next day?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @MarcinTamborski, there are several apps out there that do that. I use the Zero app and like it.

Do a Google search and you’ll find it. Right now it’s free and fully-functional without paying extra for premium features.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    IF is a discipline builder that's for sure. Discipline is a necessary attribute to have in your fitness toolbox when chasing goals. Keep up the good work.

If you think about it, so is spreading out your six small meals a day, lol!

Yeah, I would find 6 small meals a day a lot harder, so I guess it would build more discipline. I don't think making things artificially harder is a helpful approach -- there are many other ways to build discipline if it's a struggle -- so I think picking whatever meal schedule seems most appealing, easiest, and fits best into one's lifestyle is a good choice.

For me that's usually 3 meals per day, no snacking, although I often have days where I eat 2. Time between dinner and breakfast (or whatever one wants to call the last and first meals of the day) has never been an issue for me, but I can see why having a narrower eating window might make it easier for some (and lots of small meals might make it easier for others). I like eating 3 times a day and not between meals since that limits how often I tend to think about food or be tempted by something that is on offer at my workplace or whereever.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't find IF takes discipline at all. It's my prefered way of eating.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have great advise here already. I've tried a multitude of different techniques. At the end of the day, what I found worked best was....having a good breakfast (8am) of about 450 calories. Having the 11am snack. Having the 2:30 lunch. The 500 calorie dinner at 7pm. If necessary, a small bag of peanuts at 9pm. With what I eat, the calories finish end of day at: 1500. Protein usually finished off at 175. Really, the most important science here is calorie deficit, calories burned through training, and what is eaten...ie...getting enough protein to keep lean muscle, through weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Beware that "some sources" are purely regurgitating myths old and new that in reality have at best some slight basis in science but skewed in significance out of all proportion to the real world and the general population.
    If you are striving to be elite then optimal is worth chasing but remember the actual difference in magnitude between optimal and good enough can be totally insignificant. "Better" needs to be quantified - 10% or 0.01% better?

The 6 meals a day thing seems to based on the assumed maximal rate of protein uptake, so to get a decent daily amount if you are limited to (for example) 30g you would need multiple meals - but ignoring that fact that the rate at which you process protein isn't really a limiting factor. You will just take longer to digest bigger doses. Enjoy that 12oz steak, the protein isn't going to wasted. :smile:

The "post training anabolic window" isn't just a short period. Plus the food eaten before your workout is also still being digested. Most reputable sources would suggest a mixed macro meal 2hrs before and after training would probably be optimal (caveat again that most people don't need optimal for their goals). You have stores of fat (frequently abundant!), glycogen (enough for 2hrs of intense cardio roughly) and even amino acids - you simply don't have to micro manage your intake to the degree that "some sources" suggest. Humans self-regulate perfectly well.

My advice would be focus on the big ticket items (calories in terms of rate of sensible weight loss, macros, overall healthy diet and quality of training) plus personal adherence which is very individual but hugely important. The perfect diet or eating pattern that you can't adhere to is useless.

Don't worry about your metabolism unless you have been medically diagnosed with a condition, don't believe in "starvation mode" - your body doesn't have modes, it doesn't predict the future.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    At least 4 protein feedings per day are optimal for muscle gains if you're strength training. That being said, the most important thing by far is your overall calorie intake. At the end of the day, it comes down to what will make it easier to stick to your calorie goals.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing whatever makes your body feel good and helps keep your healthy diet on track. I've tried both, as well as trying just eating when I get hungry or when it fits into my day. IF was an absolute nightmare for me health-wise. I still can't figure out why it had such a disastrous effect on my body when it really is just basically skipping breakfast. Most people seem to like it, but I've read it works better for men than women. Almost all studies of it are done on men.

I used to do the 6 small meals (or 3 meals/3snacks) a days thing years ago and it worked well except I was constantly thinking about food because it was always time to eat. But I was never hungry, or if I did get hungry, it would be time to eat again in a few minutes so I wasn't tempted to overeat.

The past few years, I've mostly just been eating when I want to. That means I eat a large breakfast mid to late morning and another large meal early evening. Sometimes I snack. That leads to me eating way too many calories.

The past few weeks I've been eating 6X a day after months of recovery from the IF nightmare and I'd forgotten how well that works for me. I should probably stick to it forever.